Need Help With Acceleration('00 Dodge Neon)

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Need Help With Acceleration('00 Dodge Neon)

I need to know how I can improve the acceleration on my dodge neon 200, (aka torque and horsepower) I'm thinking about a better air intake or fuel injection system. Or maybe even a turbo charger kit. Any ideas would be greatful. And if your going to give me advice please make it detailed. Thanks

posted by  nate

New intake
New exhaust
new ecu
new turbo

posted by  abless

Love the detail there lol...and why would he want a new ECU?...he could always chip the old one :orglaugh:

posted by  Cliffy

Chipping would also be cheaper. He might want to think about an ignition upgrade as well.

Hey Cliffy, got a slang word I came a across......bbq (gathering)

posted by  Voda48

Sorry. I was pretty tired. I meant he could re-program it.

posted by  abless

No probs, we all understood really..I think lol.

Hey, I always thought BBQ meant what it said :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

lol so did i.....silly american :laughing: :joking:

for good air intake consider the AEM Cold Air Induction System for a little horsepower increase or the Perrin Short Ram Inake to maximize horsepower and torque and also provide reliable air filtration to protect the life of your motor.

as for a better exhuast, the best one i could come up with for a neon was A'PEXi N1 Series Cat Back Exhaust System.

hope that helps :thumbs:

posted by  WeaponR

LOL, I'm sure the Ausies would agree too...anyways, hoe do you actually spell BBQ? :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

If you just after acelaration either reduce your rolling raduis of your wheels or change the diff.

posted by  cinqyg

easy! B A R B E C U E :thumbs:

posted by  WeaponR

My buddy ownes a SRT he got some pretty good stuff from Mopar. I think they have a 1-3 stage turbo kit. Check out Mopar.com, its fairly decent on price(about 400 for the stage one)The 2.0L SOHC base neon is just not the best of engines but the 2.0L DOHC and 2.4L DOHC SRT-4 has some room for potential. Other than that a new intake won't really show that much improvment in acceleration but you should still buy one. You could try lightening the car up or putting some lighter wheels and tires on the car. A higher flowing 2.5-3" exhaust might do a little justice and I think they have kits with the ECU chip. There is a Stage II turbokit for the SOHC Neon at www.modernperformance.com but its kinda pricey up in the 3 grand range. For that much I'd say you stash away anoter 2 grand and just do an engine swap for a DOHC or SRT-4 Engine( If you don't allready have a DOHC) if you do go ahead an get the turbo with the intercooler kit and a highflowing exausht with a new intake. Possibly larger fuel injectors with the kit. But this aint gonna be easy at least 4-5 grand.. If you get any more serious than that you can swap out some internals get JE pistons or Eagle connecting rods. Take you crankshaft to a machine shop to have the "fat cut off". Port out your intake heads and exaust headers. Get some better cam gears(adjustable ones). Theres alot to do, I think the WingsWest Bodykit for the Neons is lighter than the stock body you chould try that...Well thats about it for now good luck :thumbs:

posted by  DSMer

Variant(s): also bar·be·que,as usually spelled in the US :wink2:

posted by  lectroid

i see, you like joggin' on the inside alot :laughing: well BBQ will do fine, we all know what it stands for, do we not?

btw DSMer, thanks for goin' in to so much detail. i was thinking i was goin' to have to do it :thumbs:

posted by  WeaponR

The srt turbo chargers are not compatible with the 2000-2002 neons, mopar has no turbos out for your car, if you put one on ur void ur warranty, go to www.mopar.com then click on street, and go to catalog, you can get headers, intake, which will giv eyou more accell also spark plugs help and if you didnt want to spend 150 on intake or more just get a k&n filter, umm just buy stuff that makes ur engine "breath" better, i have 2002 neon sxt, well my mom, but i'm gunna buy it, and i'm going to get full exaust headers on back, and intake, then get a body kit, i want to turbo it to, go to www.modernperformance.com, and click dode neon or what ever, and it gives you the goods on neons! good luck man

posted by  Neonlover04

the only way that neon will even think of being half-way respectable on the streets is with a well tuned turbo set-up. anything else will just make you're car obnoxiously loud and it'll probably get some laughs. If you don't go the turbo route, don't go with anything bigger than 2.25" on the exhaust pipe diameter...otherwise, you'll end up losing what little low-end torque you have.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

thanx man that helped me out, hahha, would dual exaust make a difference?

posted by  Neonlover04

hey, you know you could make your neon faster. or you could just trade it in for a better car. I'm sorry im just not the biggest fan of neons, but if it's your thing i'm not here to judge. But I don't mind the SRT-4 it's a really sick car, plus I don't cosider it a neon. Mainly because unlike most companies which just slap turbos on stock engines, or upgrade to urethane brushings and call the car a sport version, dodge has a completly different engine in there and upgradede or changed almost everything from bumper to bumper. Good job dodge!! :thumbs:

posted by  Zalight

yea...go turbo. by the way is it a stick or an auto?

posted by  KhanArtisT

you CAN make neons faster...easily...neons are like american honda civics...they're good for people who are interested in racing and can only drop about 3-4 gs on a car thats worthwhile and duznt cost them a shitload of insurance. and the important thing about 2nd gen neons are that they're just out of the ordinary, not many people tune 2nd gen neons, maybe because its not the BEST package when its stock, but some people like to go more original on their cars instead of the normal civics, integras, and del sols (which really piss me off :banghead: )

posted by  KhanArtisT

Your Message