2005 Chevrolet Corvette

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  2005 Chevrolet Corvette

The Corvette C6 was unveiled in early January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
While some will certainly critique the Corvette design as evolutionary rather than revolutionary, it’s difficult to argue with the advances in performance and technology on this 6th generation ‘Vette.

“More power, more passion and more precision” is how Richard Wagoner, chairman and chief executive officer of General Motors, described the new Corvette.

A new LS2 6.0-liter small-block V8 that produces an estimated 400 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque will be the standard engine for 2005 Corvettes. To handle the additional power, both the 6-speed manual and 5-speed automatic transmissions will be upgraded.

The manual transmission will feature a different set of gear ratios for the Z51 performance package, for performance similar to the previous-generation Z06.

The C6 suspension and chassis designs have been carried forward from the C5, but have also been significantly upgraded for additional structural rigidity, chassis feel and quietness. Virtually all suspension parts have been redesigned for improvements in ride and handling.

Immediately recognizable as a Corvette through its distinctive design cues, the 2005 model’s overall look is more taut and aggressive. Sharp lines extend from the front fenders back into the doors, while the rear deck is crisp and tapered.

Perhaps the most recognizable design feature, exposed headlights integrate into the front fenders—the first time since 1962 that a production Corvette has had non-retracting headlights. At the rear, the new Corvette retains one of its signature design cues, quad taillights, although they return to a round shape.

In terms of overall dimensions, the C6 is more compact, measuring 5 inches shorter and about one inch narrower than the current Corvette. The wheels increase to 18 inches in diameter at the front and 19 inches at the rear.

The interior is all new, but still retains the dual cockpit design. New materials offer a softer, more luxurious feel to the instrument panel and door trim.

Going into production shortly after the coupe will be an all-new Corvette Convertible. Unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show, the C6 convertible will feature an available power-operated soft top. This is the first time the Corvette convertible has featured a power top since 1962.

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c447137a.jpg http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c447134a.jpg

posted by  WeaponR

ya I heard about this car a little while back on car and driver,looks and sound like a good car,another great production of Chevy. :thumbs: :clap:

posted by  archangle

Look quite small for a Corvette..............well that isnt a bad thing :thumbs:

posted by  Car Nirvana

The looks are iffy, its not a dramatic change on the outside (save for the lights and a few others).

posted by  importluva

love it! this is a well needed hit for Chevy :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

i think it looks nice! not a big chevy fan but a nice car has to be given nice comments :thumbs:

posted by  WeaponR

Meh its a nice car the Z06 actually lost 5 ponies from the previous 2004model. Its nothing but a more expensive slightly better CamaroZ28. For 25,000 more you get 60 more horeses and two less seats. a CamaroZ28 or SS with 25,000 worth of mods could put a Corvette to shame. So why not just get the Cmarro?

posted by  DSMer

Why dont they sell it over here :p right hand drive and get rid of that silly feather light power steering, I think some one needs to work on the insurance groups aswell.

I had a quote for a 01 Camero, £3800 pa thats $6700USD pa just for insurance!

posted by  cinqyg

i thought Z06 version would have 500hp 48X tq, this is just the C6.

Your argument is lame. Why buy a camaro, you can buy a CRX and mod the shit out of it and beat vettes, vipers, you name it. Also, moding kills the warranty and reliability.

posted by  importluva

IF you want a fast car why dont we just start from scratch, clean sheet of paper and work from there!

posted by  cinqyg

400-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 is what the articles say. And um the reason you compare a Camaro to a Corvette is because they are similar like cars. My argument is not lame, you're lame for bringing up a CRX in a domestic dispute. Its like saying buy a Silvia not the Skyline...DUH? Jeez think, those Subies got YOU seing stars :laughing:

posted by  DSMer

yeah i agre that they are similar but most cars have comman parts, if we tried hard enough we could probily find a part thats on a viper and that "loverly" BMW 1 series! he he he

posted by  cinqyg

One, you can't get a new Camaro. Two, the 400 hp is just the REGULAR Corvette, not the Z06, which will have more yet. that means that the regular Corvette should be on par with the outgoing Z06 (and you wouldn't say the outgoing Z06 was a bad car, right?). Three, a Corvette is still daiffernt car than a modded Camaro. if you are into SCCA events, like autocrossing etc, a Corvette is also in a differnt CLASS than a modded Camaro.

Ultimately, tehre is a lot of reasons to buy a Corvette over a modded camaro. And if you don't like his Honda example, then why buy a Camaro and mod it, when you can get a used Chevy Monza for $500, and spend the entire $50k modding it! Say, a twin turbo SBC2, 6 speed, C5 Corvette IRS, custom bodywork, etc. Hell, you could probably make it as fast and handle as good for a mere $10k and use the rest for a vacation! So does that make a used '75 Chevy Monza a better car than a late model Camaro or a new Corvette?

It wouldn't be a new Corvette if a new Corvette is what you want.

posted by  ChrisV

Good point about the F bodies, do you know why they did that, couldnt compete with the mustang?

It must come down to where do you find your fun? a semi everyday car with a warenty and unlikely to rust for a few years or just all out racing machine.

posted by  cinqyg

Meh, not a big fan of vettes never have been never will. I always figured getting a Camaro was the way to go... Only rich old farts buy Vettes and possibly spoiled rich old farts kids... Its a shame they stopped making Camaros in 02. What the hell is up with that? They had better bring a new re-engineered one out..

posted by  DSMer

I think they closed the factory, oir moved the production to something else, i knnow that they were made in canada, some where in ontario i think not sure though.

posted by  cinqyg

Thank you ChrisV, you explained far better than i did.

And DSMer, your comments above illustrate your immaturity and your age as a 16yr old. Grow beyond your biases, generalizations, and ricer mentality and people will respect you more. I have stated my advice to you, take it or leave it. :thumbs:

posted by  importluva

Right there you go again with the 16yr old crap again... Again with the "ricer" mentalitly. But is'nt ricer a biased generalization? So how are you any better by calling me a ricer? Your statment is only contradicted by your own ignorance to state that I'm a "ricer". Old farts do by corvettes. Not a generlization its the truth. And if I were a "ricer" I would'nt be considering a Camaro over a vette, maybe you should get your generalized terms together before your even try comtemplating my mentalitly. :thumbs:

And on another side note I fully repsect your knowledge in cars and value your opinion. But maybe you should stop trying to diss so much on my opinions. Young I may be, Arrogant I may be. But that does'nt mean I'm not entittled to my opinon...

posted by  DSMer

DSMer, i have said all i have to say. The ball is in your court. Do with it as you wish.

posted by  importluva

Rich old farts get new Corvettes because at $50k, non-rich old farts can't spend the money... ;)

But there are a LOT of non rich, non old people who enjoy them, especially if they are single and have no reason to spend money on something else. Go to an SCCA event or better yet, a Corvette Club autocross and talk to these people. I think your opinion of the enthusiasts that love these cars will change a bit.

As for the Camaro, it simply wasn't selling well. The best performing versions were getting rather expensive, but had poorer build quality, poorer ergonomics, and simply fewer buyers than the Mustang. It doesn't necessarily make sense, but that's the way it goes. the main deal wias that if you didn't need a back seat, then why buy it? Spend a bit more and get the true sports car. And if you did need the back seat, you really couldn't use the Camaro's (which has been rectified in the GTO, which also gets the refinement of IRS, for barely more money than a fully optioned WS6 T/A or Camaro SS)

posted by  ChrisV

Yeah I know, my mother owned a Corvette and shes neither Rich old or a fart. I was just being saracastic with the old fogy thingy. I've seen plenty of 28yr old men In Corvettes. I've also seen lots of spoiled girl in Vettes.. I like the Camaro, It was never of crappy quality to me, except the interiror. That was pretty bad.. And 30k was getting a little more expensive for a Camaro. That was the purpose of a Camaro imo. To buy a car thats similar to a Vette but you could'nt afford the Vette so you got a Camaro...

posted by  DSMer

**Wonders to self:**

1.) Why is he looking at men in Corvettes? (plenty)

2.) How does he know their age?

posted by  BavarianWheels

Haha my dad used to take mt to drag races and all the "older" chevy guys would be there with their Vettes and Old cars whose names I can't pronounce nor do I even know. I assumed they had to be 28-34 ish. They looked pretty old. One of them even had a long curly mustache.. I know he can't be any younger that 30 with that thing.. And I'm not looking at guys in corvettes I'm looking at the CARS the guys just happen to be driving them. :roll:

posted by  DSMer

Just razzin' you some... :laughing:

posted by  BavarianWheels

I think he likes older men bav, hes a sucker for a nice car and a mouchtach.

So what do you do for a living DSMer??

posted by  cinqyg

It looks to me as if the new Corvette is looking more and more like a Viper... :screwy:

posted by  MOPAR

Its more efficent to have incoperated lights as popups are very aero dynamically unefficent

posted by  cinqyg

give chevy a few years to release there performance line of the c6 and you'll see why buying a camaro just dont cut it...

posted by  Pieface

Why dont they do a midenged car?

posted by  cinqyg

Agree with you there. It is a sweet new ride

posted by  Voda48

i won't mind takin' the convertible vette on your sig for a spin Voda.....looks beautiful!

posted by  WeaponR

[QUOTE=WeaponR]
A new LS2 6.0-liter small-block V8 that produces an estimated 400 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque will be the standard engine for 2005 Corvettes. To handle the additional power, both the 6-speed manual and 5-speed automatic transmissions will be upgraded. [QUOTE]

:2cents: I like the fact that it has a 6 liter V-8. New GTO is 5.7 and the 2005 mustang GT is still 4.6

posted by  Holy Jerex212

Your Message