new import fighter?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  new import fighter?

Recently Iv'e been reading in a few magazines, HCI and Sport compact car, that chevy is going to do away with its cavalier and bring in a supercharged 2.2ltr Ecotech, dubbed the Cobalt. I don't know where chevy plans to go with this, but its pumpin' about 220hp and the front wheels. I know its a domestic, but its seems to be an upcoming force to be reckoned with.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2003/06/25/163817.1-lg.jpg

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/editorial/photos/index.cfm/id/feature22/ img/cobalt.htm

posted by  s13_Drifter

Shouldn't this be in the Domestic section, although it is an "import killer". Chevy says the Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe will have 205bhp ECOTEC Supercharged engine.
http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/images/thumb_model_coupe_ss_super.jpg
It looks nice but I don't know if it can actually "kill" any imports. We'll find out if Chevy can repair the damage that the Aveo left on me. (I know it's an econo car but sooo ugly!)

posted by  zipper

It's definatley a step forward for GM in the econo-car market. God knows they need with the crap they put-out right now. It looks like they stole a little bit of the RSX's design cues. Like the above post says. The Cobalt SS will have 205 hp not 220hp. Still would MUCH rather have a '05 RSX-S. Base engine on the Cobalt is the same 140hp engine on the current cavvy and will offer a 170hp version of the Ecotec too. Seems like another 'we cant get enough power out of our engine so we're going to supercharge it' scheme. RSX has all of 2.0L and in top form has 220hp N/A. Will the Cobalt be an Import killer? No. Will it have more appeal than the Cavalier? Yes. If there is one thing GM can't compete with Honda/Toyota on. It's quality and reliability. That plays a BIG factor in the econo-market.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Well, i guess they know what their doing... yet they sure sold alot of cavaliers. Each year that car gets redone, and they sell even more. Good cars they are...... The supercharged 2.2ltr Ecotech does looks spiffy !!!!!

posted by  Dustin

Just because something sells doesn't mean it's good. Compare any Cavalier's interior to a Civic EX. It's just a complete joke. One of my friends has one of those sporty top of the line two door cavalier's. Think it's called the LS sport or something (has the chrome wheels). It has the interior that reminds me of of a 1992 Civic LX. They 'redesign' it every year? Not really, the Cavalier has remained mostly the same look for almost a decade now. If you call the 'new' taillight changed 2004 Cavalier redesigned, you have low standards. Luckily this heap is going out and the Cobalt is coming in. Which looks to have a decent interior. Definatley an EXCELLENT interior coming from GM.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/images/thumb_model_coupe_ss_super.jpg

http://world.honda.com/news/2002/image/4021105_1e.jpg

Dont get me wrong its nice.. its just look at the two pictures .. there are slight diffrences but there just so similar

posted by  Lukaz

Definetly the USDM RSX knock-off

posted by  s13_Drifter

I've always said that they look exactly the same from the side profile. Seems like GM is taking a lot of things from Honda. First the J35 engine for the Saturn Vue Redline and now the looks of the RSX! What's next? GM drops its subpar monte carlo/impala in favor of an Accord look-alike with the Accord's j30 v6 power to boot?

Sounds good to me... GM would finally be hailing Honda as the great company they are. :hi:

posted by  Patrick

This statement urges me a bit. You speak on behalf of a car that has yet even to make its debut. Sure the specs and pictures show pleasing promises, but for you to hands down say that this will NOT be an import killer is pure(excuse me for saying) bullshit. No one single man, whom is yet to even drive or look at the car in phsyical form can make such a judgment. Unless you're a production manager at GM, and if you are I'll fully retract my words.

I won't even begin to base my words on performance aspects of the car. From looking at the options available for the car, I think this new Cobalt has more than just import killing under its belt. This may very well be the american Civic. So I'll break it down for yah (because everyone does'nt buy cars to race them) The cobalt comes in a Base/LS/LT/and SS trim. On top of the options available in wheel selection(because everyone loves big wheels), this car has a 7 speaker Pioneer sound system with a Delco head unit. Not to mention the LT and SS come with leather interior seats.

Aside from the luxurious aspects of the car, it has a sporty appeal inside the cabin and outside on the exterior. The car comes with a selction of a 145HP 2.2L DOHC engine(sounds like a gas saver), or if you want a lil bang for the buck a higher output 2.4L DOHC engine. It sounds to me that that Chevy has been planing to create this car for a while, and I can't wait till one comes out. The stats say sport tuned, or soft suspension, but I gotta drive one of these bad boys for myself. Not to mention it has a F/I'ed version, and if you think that a Supercharged 2.0L DOHC could'nt competively "kill" an import car in its respective FWD class(if the car is FWD) you should probably do some rethinking or researching.

posted by  DSMer

So you're saying ALL the Civic and Corolla buyers will suddenly stop buying those and switch over to the Cobalt? Be realistic. Honda/Toyota has a big backing on customers. My family has owned many Hondas based on their build quality and rock-solid reliability. People won't suddenly stop buying those cars and switch over to the Cobalt just because it has bigger wheels and a new ecotec with 170hp in the upper model. People buy Civics for fuel economy, value, quality and reliability. You think that the car that maybe 'offers' the most would sell the best. Then why is it not true now with the Cavalier? It offers the biggest wheels (chrome too), one of the best stock sound systems (in the upper model), and has the most standard power (140hp). Those seem to be your main selling points but don't realize the Cobalt has just a little mroe power, maybe a little bit better speaker system and 1" bigger wheels. People buy econo's for none of those. They want rock-solid reliability and great fuel economy. That's why that will only affect such a small demographic (kids 16-19 so on) who don't even buy those cars but rather their parents who have the final say-so.

Re-think some of your selling points in the econo-market and get with me.

The Cobalt SS still won't be very competitive with the new '05 RSX-S...the RSX-S has it outpowered with a same sized engine but isnt supercharged (215hp..oh and did I mention GM stole all the design cues of the RSX?). That's one thing I can't understand. If the ecotec is SUCH a great engine. How come the only way they can extract power out of it is through forced induction? Reminds me of GM 3.8 zealots. Handling will be the RSX-S most likely by far. Since right now the RSX-S handles as one of the best FWD'ers out there and is getting IMPROVED for '05. You speak about speaker systems like manufacturers do. More speakers doesn't mean better. Plus the way they count speaker systems is by counting the woofer and tweeter separatley. It probably has four mid-sized woofers with two tweeters and one bigger woofer the way they get to '7' I would suppose. Probably still sounds like crap compared to what I'm used too. Well most stock sound systems are just cardboard cones with 20w power handling and 5oz. magnets. Only sound system that ever impressed me was the new TL's ELS system. Which is crystal clear sounds. The Cobalt is a BIG quantum leap forward for GM (one of the few as of late), but still won't be a Civic and Corolla sales killer.

DSMer...i'd have to agree with you...he's ripping the hell out of a car that hasn't even made it to production yet...he's just a....

POST-WHORING, NARROW MINDED, DOUCHEBAG KID

i think he just likes to screw with people so that way he can get more posts in.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

And the survey says : :screwy:

congratulations, you've proven the post-whoring/douchebag part of my theory correct. if you want to rip on domestics, do it in your precious import section...or better yet, go find a douchebag sh!t-talkin forum to join.....sounds like Edmunds is the place for you.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

So you're saying ALL the Civic and Corolla buyers will suddenly stop buying those and switch over to the Cobalt? Be realistic.
No thats what you're saying.

Honda/Toyota has a big backing on customers.
So does GM/Chevrolet. Honda/Toyota is'nt the only car company in the world that has "backing".

My family has owned many Hondas based on their build quality and rock-solid reliability. People won't suddenly stop buying those cars and switch over to the Cobalt just because it has bigger wheels and a new ecotec with 170hp in the upper model.
No but people will buy the car for those reasons. This reply is beginning to seem futile, as the whole meaning of my previous post has went completley over your head.

People buy Civics for fuel economy, value, quality and reliability.
Also some people buy Civics because they have good features. Some people by Civics to street race them. Not everyone solely cares about fuel ecnomy.

You think that the car that maybe 'offers' the most would sell the best. Then why is it not true now with the Cavalier? It offers the biggest wheels (chrome too), one of the best stock sound systems (in the upper model), and has the most standard power (140hp).
You seem to have a vague to grim interpretation of how cars are marketed in the world today. Car companys advertise wheels, horsepower, and sound systems because more to offer sells. Sure low fuel economy helps, but thats only one of the many main points. You think Civic would still be selling in the masses if it came only with manual windows, hubcaps, and cloth interiors? Probably not. In that case people would go to the Accord because it has more to offer. The average car buyer will sacrafice a little fuel economy for comfort and performance.

Those seem to be your main selling points but don't realize the Cobalt has just a little mroe power, maybe a little bit better speaker system and 1" bigger wheels. People buy econo's for none of those. They want rock-solid reliability and great fuel economy.Re-think some of your selling points in the econo-market and get with me.
Again you are under the impression that someone who wants to save money on gas will instantly buy a car that has the lowest MPG. Not true, if such a thing were true, then everyone looking for an econo box would buy a hyrbid. Its not only cheaper in the long run(possibly short term), but it offers similar reliability, but no they buy the Civic.Why? Because the Civic has more to offer. People don't buy cars based solely on MPG and reliablity(because most people will undoubtely sell the car in 5 years). Don't you think if Honda knew that the sole and only reason people bought the Civic was for mpg and reliability, they would downgrade the engine and cabin features? Or no maybe that was something the genious engineers and marketers at Honda missed but you caught....Yeah Right..

That's why that will only affect such a small demographic (kids 16-19 so on) who don't even buy those cars but rather their parents who have the final say-so.
??? WTF?

The Cobalt SS still won't be very competitive with the new '05 RSX-S...the RSX-S has it outpowered with a same sized engine but isnt supercharged (215hp..oh and did I mention GM stole all the design cues of the RSX?).
I suppose you know this because you road tested the car. Who cares that they stole the engine? Big Whoop, not like it aint been done before. I suggest you leave the competitive results to the experts. Your opinion matters not in this category. You've never seen the car perform let alone have a marginal ammount of knowledge about the car to even begin to base "facts" that the RSX-S will competively outpower the Cobalt SS

That's one thing I can't understand. If the ecotec is SUCH a great engine. How come the only way they can extract power out of it is through forced induction? Reminds me of GM 3.8 zealots. Handling will be the RSX-S most likely by far. Since right now the RSX-S handles as one of the best FWD'ers out there and is getting IMPROVED for '05.

You speak about speaker systems like manufacturers do. More speakers doesn't mean better. Plus the way they count speaker systems is by counting the woofer and tweeter separatley. It probably has four mid-sized woofers with two tweeters and one bigger woofer the way they get to '7' I would suppose.
Well thats just what you "suppose".

Probably still sounds like crap compared to what I'm used too. Well most stock sound systems are just cardboard cones with 20w power handling and 5oz. magnets. Only sound system that ever impressed me was the new TL's ELS system. Which is crystal clear sounds.
Haha, thats because you don't anything to compare to, and if you think Acura has the best sounds.. Ahh screw it. I can obviously tell you have meager experience in the vast area of car audio so I won't even begin to step there..

The Cobalt is a BIG quantum leap forward for GM (one of the few as of late), but still won't be a Civic and Corolla sales killer
Hmm, I wonder how you squeezed Corolla in there... Again I should'nt have even posted because my original intetions obviously went over your head if you think I was somehow inferring that the Cobalt will kill Honda Civics in sales.

posted by  DSMer

im just gonna ignore the argument as it seems that thunderbird is just doing his job of interpreting everything as he sees fit......

as far as this new Cobalt thing goes, from wat i read from u guys, it sounds just fine. its by no means some "holy shit hot seller", but still, its decent enough to be good.

the ideas behind it seem to have been thought out very well. if my preferences didnt lie elsewhere, i would definately bother to go to the dealership and give it a spin whenever it comes out. in fact, i might just do that for the heck of it when it comes out.

btw, just one little comment on the discussion. the whole 16-19 year olds thing and their parents having the final say on the cars they buy.... thunderbird, u can be one stubborn ass sometimes. i bought my car last year by myself, my mom lent me the money but i paid it back to her 3 months later, and i was 18 by then. i chose her corolla for her, but she didnt want power windows or anything. i did the same with quite a few family members, and i still do for alot of people that ask me for opinions on some vehicles they like. sometimes i get the final word, sometimes i dont, but i get my point across. u cant keep living in this little world of yours where young people depend on their parents and where everything u read posted by someone else is wrong simply cuz u feel like understanding it in a way that is to your advantage (which 99.9% of the time is the wrong way of understanding it).

and i didnt understand wat sick88's point was..... dsmer was post whoring and he only posts to insult him? he calls dsmer a kid and he goes ahead to call him a douchebag? umm..... ok?

posted by  Inygknok

I do not believe he was referring to me when he made those comments. The Dsm, does'nt whore. My comments are usually long and full of controspective statments.(Just giving myself a big head). So Inygknok give us some feedback on what you think of the new Cobalt.

posted by  DSMer

You work for Webster's?

posted by  BavarianWheels

No but I like to think I'm entitled to make up my own words. That should be words but are not.

posted by  DSMer

/me slaps DSMer with a 4G63T

i did say wat i thought about it :P

so far it sounds like a really nice car, i wouldnt buy it, but its still nice. i honestly dont know enough to give a completely unbiased opinion.

posted by  Inygknok

in my little rant about douchebags and post-whores i was referring to thunderbird1100.......I was agreeing with DSMer in the fact that this kid is ripping on a car that hasn't even come to market yet. Concept specs usually change a fair amount before a car actually reaches production. As far as my opinion on the car...i think it's a step in the right direction for GM...then again i'm still waiting for the pontiac solstice to see production :mrgreen:

posted by  Sick88Tbird

It did sound impressive... :wink2:

my bad, i thought u were quoting dsmer when u were insulting. i agree though, u just cant trully give away such comments, like the ones thunderbird gave, on a car that hasnt even been produced yet. it would be like saying, "the chrysler ME 4-12 can beat the Koenigsegg in every aspect, but i have no facts to prove it cuz the car hasnt even reached its final, true form in which it will be produced". (no apples and oranges plz, it was just a mere example). i guess in the case of the Cobalt, u could just say the same sentence, but replace the 4-12 with the Cobalt and the Civic or Corolla with the Koenigsegg (that sounds weird, but u get the point).

imo though, it looks more like a brand new Civic full of curves everywhere, as if it had a round-ish body kit.

posted by  Inygknok

No worries! just a simple misunderstanding.........I'm actually quite suprised that i haven't seen anything about the Neon SRT-4 in here...although if someone did post about it, i may have missed it....according to car and driver it's like a 13.9 second car(for around 20g's)...some simple cheap mods and you'd be easily running deep in the 13's. Considering the concept cobalt is expected 205-220hp really isn't bad...the 2.4L dohc turbo motor from chrysler is churning something to the extent of 230hp(correct me if i'm wrong). History always repeats itself....the muscle car wars are back, albeit with a different approach and more contenders, but you can see what's happening.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

No problem. I kinda jumped the gun a lil. Go ahead and start a thread about the Neon SRT-4 I'll get in on it.. :)

posted by  DSMer

Rip on domestics? I just give my opinion like everyone else on here supported and backed by facts. If you don't like to rebuttle, dont go around calling me a 'domestic basher' not even knowing what I've owned and WANT to own.

Well, you really are a dumbass...I can't count the times you've referenced previous vehicles and they're all :cussing: hondas! In your sig you even tell what you currently own and your project car...........you couldn't have owned very many cars previously being as your pretty young. From the sounds of it, you either have mommy and daddy buy all your sh!t for you or you're a rocket scientist at the age of 18.....I highly doubt the latter of the two. None of your opinions were "supported and backed by facts" either. Specs on a friggin' concept aren't facts, infact they're worthless...very rarely will a concept car make it to production without changes. You're the stereotypical asshole ricer...talkin' sh!t on everything that isn't an import. It's people like you that give domestic guys a bad view on import guys.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

I know GM has also a big backing on customers. But how many repeat Cavalier buyers do they have? Probably not anything close to Civic repeat buyers. I have two friends that own new cavaliers (one 03 one 04). One is a more stripped base model and the other is the fully loaded LS Sport. The interiors on both look nearly identical. They just spruced up the wheels, threw a bodykit on and wing and get $3k more for it. Both are highly unsatisfed with their cavaliers. They both have been in a new EX Civic and said going back to thier Cavalier's interior was taking a step back into the 80's. Honestly I can't see why the cavalier ever sold. It was always ranked one of the the lowest in round-ups. Always had so-so reliability, pretty dated interior and always never had anything close to the best MPG. My best answer and most logical : Loyalists. They don't want anything else made by anyone else. As long as it's GM it's good for them.

16 year olds don't buy their Civics (95% of the time). Their parents do. I guarentee you the parents didn't have in mind street racing when they bought it either. So that was a dumb remark.

"You seem to have a vague to grim interpretation of how cars are marketed in the world today. Car companys advertise wheels, horsepower, and sound systems because more to offer sells. Sure low fuel economy helps, but thats only one of the many main points. You think Civic would still be selling in the masses if it came only with manual windows, hubcaps, and cloth interiors? Probably not. In that case people would go to the Accord because it has more to offer. The average car buyer will sacrafice a little fuel economy for comfort and performance."

I would love to see people test drive a Cavalier then test drive a Civic. See what kind of objective views they would take and see which car they would buy. From my experience as posted above the two with cavaliers loved the Civic two-fold better than the Cavalier after they actually went in one. Recently some magazine took The Civic and Cavalier (among other cars) to a local high school out in california. They directly compared the Civic to the Cavalier with the kid's input. 3:1 was the ratio of people who liked the civic over people who liked the Cavalier. Only a few responses stood out for the people who choose the cavalier 'the cavalier looks better on the outside' and 'the cavalier has 13 more hp'. Which the latter being a not-so strong selling point.

You're argument about if everyone cared only about MPG (which i never said JUST mpg so that argument is invalid) would buy hybrids is also un-true due to your reasoning because hybrid cars cost more on maintaining them. So that is thrown out (BTW - The Diesel Golf gets better mpg than most hybrids out..friend gets EASILY 50-55mpg on the highway in his Golf TDi and diesel is cheaper than 87 petrol still by a good 30 cents around me).

"I suppose you know this because you road tested the car. Who cares that they stole the engine? Big Whoop, not like it aint been done before. I suggest you leave the competitive results to the experts. Your opinion matters not in this category. You've never seen the car perform let alone have a marginal ammount of knowledge about the car to even begin to base "facts" that the RSX-S will competively outpower the Cobalt SS."

First off, yes the RSX-S will outpower the SS. It has MORE POWER. Did you not pay attention? Not only that. But the RSX is a pretty damn good handling car (if not one the best FWD handling cars on the market...and that's improved for 05). GM won't come close to the RSX-S's handing with the SS. They tune all their cars for more of a straight line (Impala SS Monte Carlo SS all aren't handling spectaculars...so why would the Cobalt SS be). BTW - the RSX is in the Speed World Challenege competing directly against RWD BMW's.

"Haha, thats because you don't anything to compare to, and if you think Acura has the best sounds.. Ahh screw it. I can obviously tell you have meager experience in the vast area of car audio so I won't even begin to step there.. "

Best STOCK (didnt add that FORGIVE me..thought someone as 'bright' as you could use common sense to realize that) sound system. Not only do I think that. But it won best stock sound system of the year by everyone. Have you even HEARD it? Only way to improve upon it would be to spend about $2k-$3k. Perfectly balanced system with 5.1 decoding and the latest in electronics with audio.
I'm not an audio enthusist? Maybe you didn't read my sig, but my Accord is basically my SPL car. It will be entered in Amature classes for sound competition once my sub setup is ready (two DD3515's in a custom ported box).

Your post made it seem like the Cobalt will be a big hit and sell like crazy. Only way it will is getting future Civic and Corolla buyers to buy it. Hence, my response.

Go to a dealer and ask them how many 16-19 year olds pay for their own cars then ask how many parents buy them their car. you will find the ratio to be around 1:100. Just a common sense thing. My first car was b uilt-up hand me-down when I was 15. When I was 16 I bought my beater Accord and not too long back (17) I bought my 300zxtt. I am one of the few 16-19 year olds with income over $10k/year who can afford car payments (although I have no car payments nor ever have since I've always bought used stuff). BTW - I was tlaking about new cars, not used.

Maybe you missed it but a lot of production pictures have been out for a while for the Cobalt (RSX cues are highly abroad). Doesn't suprise me. You've been pretty slow on the uptake in every-thread I've seen you post in.

This whole thread was about what WE think about the Cobalt SS. So what makes MY response so much more invalid than yours or anyone elses? Maybe you missed that uptake too. But this whole thread is about what WE THINK about the Cobalt. Good job on posting more worthless and pointless information :clap:

up until March, i had a $35k income annualy, i still refused to buy a completely new car. i dont like new cars, simple as that. sure, they are nice and all, but to own one is something that takes alot of convincing.

not all young people buy their own brand new cars cuz not all of them either, have the time, have the dignity, have the knowledge, or their parents just plainly dont allow them to work, just like my friend Jay. it depends really.

posted by  Inygknok

Haha, this kids a dumbass. I care not to even banter on with you as you obviously have no idea of what you are talking about. Not every 16yr old kid has there mommys and daddys buy there car. If you're 16 you can't even legally own a car. You have to have somone(primarily your legal gaurdian) cosign as the majority holder of the car(least where I'm from). So technically everyone thats under 18 and not emancipated has there parents sign for the car. In hence, legally they paid for the car because its mainly under there name. My god you're a dumbass.

This is the kinda stuff that irks me. Some half witted ass guy can't even manage to buy a decent subwoofer let alone give a respectable opinon for a car hes never even driven. On both ends. You've never driven an RSX Type S so how the hell would know anything about better handling other than what your pissy ass eyes read in a magazine or online article. Then you go and assume that I was talking about an aftermarket stereo. Good job bright ass, you could'nt even manage to realize I was talking about stock stereo systems. Then you put in your signature Volfenhag DVC blah blah Also know as shitty subs. If you were really a car audio enthuisiast you would'nt even claim those, because its a disgrace for you to even own such a crappy subwoofer.

"Oh duh, I'm getting two DD's in a custom port box"
In other words you're getting some high output subwoofers in a damn box thats made by some guy whos probably following instructions on their website(Custom my ass). If you're such the audio enthuisiast build your own damn box to put inside your own damn car. Buying some highrate ass subwoofer(wich I doubt you even own cause anyone who knows about DD's subs does'nt by second-rate knockoff fleamarket subwoofers like Volfenhag) does'nt make you some audiophile.

"First off, yes the RSX-S will outpower the SS. It has MORE POWER."
Maybe you should be a little more precise on your word choice, because anything can be outpowered in any category. Having more BHP does'nt always make the more powerful car. I'm assuming you have some wierd interpretation that more BHP means the car will automaticly win. This is so damn stupid It makes my brain hurt. I think I've gotten stupider by reading your dumbass idiotic comments.

Yet your dumbass still persists to continue on with your blabber. For the last time, I never said the Cobalt will outsell the Civic it will just compete with it. Why the hell do you keep speaking of a Cavalier? A COBALT IS NOT A F*CKING CAVALIER hence the different names. So when you compare a Cavalier to any other car you're simply blowing hot air out your ass because this discussion is on the COBALT. Anything you say just makes you look even more stupid, because you are arguing a futile debate not only against me but against a car thats NEVER EVEN CAME OUT! WTF? Am I the only one who realizes that your debating about the aspects of a car thats not even in production? ::roll:: I'm through... I did'nt think somone could be so dumb..I guess I was wrong. You need not to reply back to me. I think you've soiled yourself enough allready..

posted by  DSMer

DSMer...I couldn't agree with you more

thunderbird1100 you stupid sh*t-head...in case you haven't noticed, nobody here likes you, nor is anyone sharing your viewpoint. I'm slow on the uptake??? I don't think so...i previously spoke of how the specs of a concept car change before reaching production and your response was that production pictures of the cobalt SS have been out for some time now...............you dumb F*CK, they aren't pictures of the actual production version that will be rolling of the assembly line...it's a picture of a damn concept........pictures do NOT equal specs. You THINK you know more than you really do, that's the problem here. The reason just about every 16yr old high-school student wants a civic is because of that damn fast and the furious movie........had that movie had been all domestics, nobody would give two sh!ts about the civic. I shut you down on the Titan arguement we had...I can do it again, it's easy as hell to pick you apart, but I'm not wasting my time on it anymore. Talk sh!t on me all you want, i'm no longer responding to your half-assed remarks and responses that apparently receive little to no thought what-so-ever.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

While cussing is not outrightly banned, it is better that we refrain from cussing at each other...especially calling someone a dumb 'f'...or a stupid 's'.

If it does continue, I'll just start deleting the posts that contain the like.

Thanks.

ok, why dont we all sit down, share some Tylenol for kids (cherry flavored, grape flavored, u name it), and we all play duck duck goose? sounds like a blast of fun to me...

anyhow, geez, i have to wait until im 21 to own a car under my name over here, but im getting emancipated this month (nuthin to do with the family or anything), and mom is just fine with the idea and changing the paperwork of the car to my name. some things we can own at 16, others at 18, and others at 21. no idea why, not sure which things, but im not complaining. ive still managed to pay most of my stuff even if my mom has to co-sign it or fully sign it under her name.

btw, just cuz im feeling lazy atm and dont wanna use google.... anyone got some site or anything with a bit more info on the Cobalt? just so i can atleast know a bit more of the car to actually discuss it properly and not make a goose out of myself like thunderbird (yes, that means ur tagged for the first round of duck duck goose :laughing: ).

posted by  Inygknok

Ahh, what makes it less valid is the level of thought you proven not to have put into your opinions. What makes it less valid is the total lack of openmindedness you've shown since your first post. What makes it less valid is that whan you DO try to use "facts" to support your beliefs, they are easily disproven by anyone with even half a brain or even SLIGHTLy familiar with the subject.

You have little or no experience in the automotive hobby or industry, form opinions out of thin air, and actually prefer to be that closed minded, as though at your young age, you already KNOW everything.

Sorry, but that attitude makes what you "think" about anything pretty much worthless.

I've been a fan and owner of imported sports cars and sport compact cars since before you were born. I've defended them to pro-domestic fans for decades at cruising venues, race tracks, and on the web. And people like you make me wish I'd never HEARD of imports.

posted by  ChrisV

Sorry Bav...I'll try to curb my language and my hatred for narrow-minded people a little better. :thumbs:

posted by  Sick88Tbird

NP.

btw...narrow-minded is quite acceptable. :laughing: :thumbs:

Slow down there skippy. After reading your entire post and laughing at your utter incompetence and misunderstanding i'll rebuttle to the few that need immediate correcting.

Thje majority of new drivers (teens) simply don't by their own car. Most of the time they don't have the money. Pending on where you live it may vary, but most DO NOT buy their own.

The Volfenhag setup is/was my FIRST woofer purchase and was my beginner setup. Have you ever HEARD them? Pretty damn good subs for the price. People usually dont by the BEST of everything when they first try them out (duh). I just bought something that looked good for the price to enter myself into a market. The Volfenhags are probably the best damn subs I've heard for sub-$100 woofers. SQ is tight on the DVC model and they hit pretty damn hard hooked up to my JBL 1200.1. Also have good power handling capabilities with a pretty large magnet too for it's price range. I got my two 15" DVC volfs for $160. Very good buy. The DD3515's I got for $200/piece (which BTW- i know one of their previous fabricators who helped develop half their subs and he is helping me build my box - so enough of the assumptions aside). Not exactly cheap. I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into something and then not like it (As a whole) in the end. Way to go ragging on and on about something and not getting anywhere but 'oh shit i forgot to ask if that was his first sound setup' - Moron :orglaugh:

Again, you assume I haven't driven an RSX-S. Well bust your nut, your assumptions are beginning to make you look more and more like a neanderthal. My best friend happens to OWN an RSX-S and I have had some good seat time behind it. Not only that, but have been working around/with Hondas for a good two years now at dealers and specialty shops helping out. Don't even go there with me on Honda/Acuras...you will lose :laughing:

You continue to post these moronic things and make me laugh the ever-more. Please, do it again so I can laugh even harder. Oh and BTW -

"I think you've soiled yourself enough allready.."

I think you've been OWN3D a bit too many times and the only thing you have left is petty insults and am beginning to think more and more of you in
this -> :screwy: way.

So when two or three online people disagree with me I'm the utter insane man? Oh my, the things you will learn... :laughing:

I've backed up most of my opinions with facts. I haven't seen much of anyone else attempt to even do this but rather just call BS on me. Sorry, not buying it.

I'm not open minded? Mind you I plan to own SEVERAL domestics in the near furture on top of the one in my family right now (two if you count the Acura) which include an 05-up Mustang and a 1970 Buick GSX. I go to several SCCA events and was raised around road racing. My next car purchase might go towards just racing in the SCCA (thinking of a early 90s miata). Stop with the non-openmindedness BS. I gave my Opinion on ONE domestic and now im 'narrow-minded' - getting old.

ok.... so thunderbird doesnt want cherry/grape flavored Tylenol for kids..... u want Flintstones vitamins then? those taste good and they are chewable....

anyhow.... how bout we stop fighting and keep letting thunderbird keep boosting up his ego even further? hes gonna start telling us soon how he injected himself with car knowledge into his blood..... Hell knows if he stuck an ECU up where we dont wanna know where.....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyhow..... how bout someone starts an SRT-4 thread?

posted by  Inygknok

Ahh ChrisV, waste not your time. This kid has lost all of his marbles, if any he had to start with. Theres no point to listen to his babble, because might I mind you hes arguing against the perfromance, quality, reliability, etc... of a car thats yet to even come out. How stupid can one person be? This guy seriously needs to be put in his own little world with Ki2AY, and you know what I mean.

Let him argue about his crappy Volfenhag subwoofers(wich believe me are crap). He needs help....in both the automoitve world and sound alike, because obviously he has marginal knowldge in either field.... if any at all..

posted by  DSMer

Perhaps everyone should take a brief vacation like myself. It might help to clear the atmosphere here a little.

Anyways, back to the question at hand. The cobolt no doubt is being released to compete with the RSX Type S, SRT-4, Celica (which i believe will leave the market along with the MR2 in 2005 or 2006), Scion Tc, Mustang base, etc. I think it is a step in the right direction for GM, this market is very big and profits stand to be gained.

About the car, if the supercharged version has the same potential as the SRT-4, then GM surely has a winner in it's hands. They will get more and more import guys and those looking for a pocket rocket to come over, especially if they have a mopar equivalent that gives upgrades with warranty. Not to say the RSX will cease to exist, but there will certainly be more competition among the manufacturers and that's always a good thing.

I think the Cobolt will respond to mods very well, when considering the supercharged version. The key is for GM to provide the upgrade packages directly from dealers and installed with warranty, just like dodge. Anyways, we will see soon enough.

posted by  importluva

no, of course your not insane! your just a dumbass and i think EVERYONE agrees...it's a damn good thing you don't live around my way.....you probably wouldn't even have seen your 12th birthday.

"mommy! mommy! look how far i shoved my head up my ass today!!!"
-thunderbird1100

"good job honey! that's 3 inches more than yesterday, and yesterday you were at 15 inches!"
-thunderbird1100's whore mother

so, how old were you when your head actually got stuck, permanently, up your ass?

posted by  Sick88Tbird

:roll: Get over your childish comments.

Tbird, perhaps you should let the Cobolt come out before you say it won't compete with cars in it's class. Like i outlined in my post above, the SS version will be very successful if it can follow dodge's steps with the SRT. I will not comment on the other versions of the car.

Just because an engine needs to be supercharged to attain the power level of a N/A doesn't mean the f/i engine is poor. In fact, it is safe to say that when engine modifications come into play, an f/i'd engine is cheaper to upgrade and get gains than an N/A engine (the RSX is a little bit of an exception as it's engine responds to mods fairly well). Just look at how the SRT responds to mods. Furthermore, we all know that the SRT is underrated, the same could be said of the cobolt.

All in all, there are simply too many factors to consider before labeling the cobolt a failure.

posted by  importluva

Your Message