Pontiac Parisienne Question

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Pontiac Parisienne Question

I am new to this forum. I guess I am supposed to tell you something about my self. So, I am a graduate Student at the University of Toronto who is doing his PhD in polymer chemistry.
I have a interesting opportuinity in front of me. A friend of mine is offering me his 1966 Pontiac Parisienne for approx 1200$. THe story is that is was last started 4 years ago, but previous to that it was in good working condition, and the body is also in good condition. I am curious at what kind of maintenance fees you would predict for this type of car, and if there are any common problems with this make or model? Is this a relativley good deal???

I am new to classic (I am not really srue the term) car owership and do not really know what I am doing, but I am willing to learn. I have a mechanic buddy who is willing to work for beer. Any advice would be awsome.. Thanks in advance

posted by  derricklasard

I can't help you, sorry. But just a comment, Firebirds weren't produced until 1967...

posted by  moostang104314

OOOOOPPSSSS!

sorry, thought for some reason you said Firebird... Never Mind. :oops:

posted by  moostang104314

Apparenty the maintenance fees would be beer. Seriouslyj, they could range from thousands of dollars in repairs and upgrades, to a few hundred bucks a year for basic tuen ups and oil changes. First thing to remember is pick your batlles. With an old car, there are often a lot of small things that are no longer perfect, or even working. YOu have to determine what things you can live with, and what things you can't . THAT will determine costs. If you have to fix every upholstery tear and replace every missing screw, it wil cost more than if you make sure it's safe and then just drive it.

An example, my old '62 Falcon cost me $100, and I put another $600 into it to make it functional and have a few small custom parts. it wasnt' perfect, far from it. But it drove, and that was good enough. So my "maintenance fees" tended to be oil changes and fuel. I COULD have spent thousands of dollars replacing every little bit of old rubber, every bushing, etc. But it wasn't necessary to have a fun daily driver from an old car.

Personally, I love this era full size pontiac:

http://www.ritzsite.net/Pontiac66/1966_Pontiac_Grande_Parisienne_f3q.JPG[/i mg]

Budget about $500 to get it back in good running condition (new tune up parts, fluids, brake pads/shoes, etc), then start looking at what you want to replace, vs what you [i]need to fix. And don't try to do too much at once.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks.. I am having my buddy check it this sunday....

posted by  derricklasard

Hi, I wated to talk to you about your car. Can you contact me at sladniak@mountaincable.net

I have the same car. Thanks
Steve

undefinedundefined

posted by  terraleo

undefined[SIZE=7][COLOR=DimGray][Hi, I wanted to talk to you about your car. Can you contact me at sladniak@mountaincable.net

I have the same car. Thanks
Steve
FONT=Arial Black]undefinedundefined[/QUOTE]

posted by  terraleo

Your Message