Anyone know exactly what model Viper this is?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Anyone know exactly what model Viper this is?

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the exact model/style name of a specific Viper. Does anyone know what it is? I was thinking it may be a 2005 model, since it's so difficult for me to find any information on, but then again I'm not that car savvy. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Click for Image (http://www.marxworld.dk/Biler/Dodge/Viper/lagt%20ud_02/Dodge%20Viper%20(ca r%20show).jpg)
(Hopefully that image works, it's the only one I can find.)

posted by  Mizuiro

Considering the Viper GTS logo is in large letters behind it, I'd say that would be a good clue... :banghead:

Google is your friend: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=viper+gts

posted by  ChrisV

I did use Google, thank you, it's how I found that image. I tried looking up the GTS but.. it doesn't look the same.
Look at the link you gave me. Do any of those cars look like the one I posted? Nope, nope.

posted by  Mizuiro

Yes, they do. The one you posted is a regular GTS with no stripes. It doesn't have the ACR wheels, or the GTS-R wing, making it a plain GTS. Period.

Here's the same car with stripes (and the newer wheels):

http://www.virtrade.com/auto/pic/Dodge-Viper-GTS-Final-Edition-photo-2.jpg

And another one with the stripes and older wheels:

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Vehicles/Cars/RedViper.jpg

What about the one you posted makes you think it's not the same?

posted by  ChrisV

I suppose the stripes threw me off, so I thought it was the GTS Roadster. Sorry about that, and thank you.
Again, I don't know much about cars, just what little I pick up from others. (I'm only a 16 year old girl, give me some credit here, eh? Haha.)

Edit: Oh, I see what confused me now.. See, in the images of the GTS I found on Google (besides the one I posted) all of those cars have a different front, I think. The one I'm talking about has a bit of a longer hood/front/whatever and makes the roof look more.. of a bump.. or something. Sorry, I don't know how to explain it any better than that. (In other words, in the GTS images I keep finding, the cars look more.. flat.)
EditEdit: Ah, what about a GTS Coupe? Is that it? I looked on Google and found atleast three different looking cars, so I wasn't sure.

posted by  Mizuiro

Ok, here's the deal, 2D images will always be differnt than you see in the real world. For example, it's hard to tell how far out somone's nose sticks when seen directly head on. ;) Same for cars. It's worse when cars are put at angles we don't normally see them, or when using a different lens focal length.

This isnt an issue about cars, but about how to accurately percieve shapes when viewed differntly. A lot of optical ilusions are built on this.

http://www.math.union.edu/research/student/1998/tolin/cover.jpg

Is it a circle? is it a dome? is it a cone/ Does it stick in or out?

The picture of the Viper, however, gives us a number of clues: one, it does say GTS. Two, once looking at it in relation to other Viper pictures, we realize it has the earlier wheels. It has rounded fenders, and a very distinctive front fender/door cutout, making it an early Viper. Since it has a roof, it can thus only be the GTS (all GTS Vipers are closed coupes, the RT/10 Viper is a targa convertible). The picture is also fuzzy making for lack of detail around the hood and around the rear spoiler, but those basic facts are enough.

Another newer Viper GTS: http://www.dodgevipersforsale.com/DSC02652.JPG

The new Vipers are so far only available in convertible form, and are much more angular from the side (with an entirely differnt door scoop form):

http://dodgevipers.tenmagazines.com/pictures/srt1040.jpg

A GTS version of the new Viper has just recently been shown (in blue with white stripes), adding the old style GTS roof and spoiler to the SRT-10 body, but it's still identifiable by the more triangular headlights and angular side scoop. And it isn't available yet.

posted by  ChrisV

Ooh, I understand! Thank you very much, you've been a big help.

posted by  Mizuiro

The easiest thing is to check the VIN. Count backwards from the end and the eighth digit will tell you the model year. If the digit is a "4" it's a 2004, if the digit is a "5" then it's a 2005. The rest of the info will be on badges right on the vehicle.

posted by  ridesbuttons

1. As obvious as this was to everyone else, here's a bit of info that apparently flew right over your head. The boy is looking at a PICTURE of a Viper and is mildly interested in finding out what year it is. I doubt very seriously the picture comes with the VIN posted so isn't your information just a bit pointless? Why yes it is, incorrect too, read on...

2. Time to play stump the dummy. Using ONLY your method of determining the year of a vehicle, what year is this; 1B7MD34W5GS038070? Yep, that's what I thought. How about this; 1FMZU63P7YZB89840? Can't figure out that one either? Try this one on for size; 3VWHD81H9WM132882. Don't work either does it. Next time you try to pass of information as fact, make sure it is.

BTW, why tell someone to "Count backwards from the end and the eighth digit will tell you the model year"? Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler, yet just as wrong, to say look at the ninth digit? Yes it would. Since you're a newb read and heed these words. THINK, TYPE, SUBMIT. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

[QUOTE=vwhobo]2. Time to play stump the dummy. Using ONLY your method of determining the year of a vehicle, what year is this; 1B7MD34W5GS038070? Yep, that's what I thought. How about this; 1FMZU63P7YZB89840? Can't figure out that one either? Try this one on for size; 3VWHD81H9WM132882. Don't work either does it. Next time you try to pass of information as fact, make sure it is.

QUOTE]

Someone should like so totally let him in on the fact that G, Z, and W are the like the latest model year jargon! You're so nineties!

Whoever posted that crap about counting backwards and all that jazz needs to take a short fall off of a tall cliff.

posted by  Patrick

no its to0 ugly to be the 2005 model!! lolz it looks more like a 95 96 model....you can go check out the pics for reference at www.cardomain.com it should be easier than google. i dont kno much about car either but i do kno some

i think the 2000 to 2003 is nice it doesnt look far off from the 95 models but it jus look nicer! as of the 2004 model..its a convertible! pretty good but i would rather have the 2003 viper gts i mean a black one!!!

ps. are you a japanese girl?

posted by  BigBadBrat

Sorry, I stand like so totally corrected dude. :hi:

posted by  vwhobo

The GTS didn't arrive until '96, any '95 model would be the RT/10 roadster. The only difference visually between the '96 GTS and the 2000-2003 versions are the wheels, so saying it "just looks nicer" is kind of off...

Now what I really find interesting is that you think the one they were looking at is too ugly to be a 2005 model, but you like the 2003 model GTS better than the 2005 model! That makes you rather a hypocrite, as the 2003 GTS is visually identical to the '96 GTS other than the wheels! So either it's too ugly to be a 2005 model, or it's better looking that the 2005 model.

posted by  ChrisV

jus lo0k nicer....

posted by  BigBadBrat

:banghead: HOW? They are VISUALLY the same, as the bodies are IDENTICAL! Yes, the 2003 and the '96 are IDENTICAL! How can one "just look nicer" that the other when they aren't any different????? What part of that did you not understand? Is english your second language?

You said you like the 2003 better than the 2005 model, right? That means the 2003 model looks nicer than th e2005 model, right?

So why did you say the '96 is too ugly to be a 2005 model, if it looks identical to the 2003 model which you say looks nicer than the 2005 model? That would logically mean the '96 model would ALSO look better than the 2005 model, as it is the same a s the 2003 model that you think is the best looking!!!!

:banghead:

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message