Dual Exhaust On My Mustang...Your Opinion

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Dual Exhaust On My Mustang...Your Opinion

Well, anyway i just got a new 2004 mustang but its a v6. it looks like a gt but it doesnt have the dual exhaust cut outs. I was wondering if I shuld get the normal cutout with 1 on the left and 1 on the right, should i get a cutout where both of them are side by side in the middle, or should i not cut out at all? and what are the best pipes for dual exhaust?

posted by  Nimrod3922

ok first off it sounds like you have intake monifold. i would take that off and put in headers. but then you said its a v6 but you need 8 cylinders for headers ,if im correct ,so if you got the money take it to a shop if you cant do it your self and have it changed. then it will be a v8 duel exhaust with headers... sounds alot better then v6 intake huh? :smoke:

and uhh i would get flowmasters or spintech..

posted by  351ci-mustang

I have been a member of this forum for about a year and a half and I can honestly say that you are the stupidest person who has posted here to date.
No f*cking shit he has an intake "monifold", sometimes known as a manifold. That's about the only way he's going to get the air/fuel mixture into his engine. Of course he's talking about his exhaust so how exactly does this relate to the subject.

You do? Are you sure? Do you mean my wife's four cylinder Jetta doesn't have a header? Maybe I thought I installed a header and put on an "intake monifold" instead. Or maybe you're just a stupid, sh*t talking motherf*cker. Yeah, that's it.

You're not, you're a stupid, sh*t talking motherf*cker. I thought we already covered that.

That series of statements, opinions and questions is so retarded, twisted, concoluted and incorrect I can't even figure out what it's supposed to mean.

Hoopty f*cking doo. Nobody with 1/4 of the brain they were born with would take your worthless advice. I suggest you spend a bit less time learning about cars by playing video games and a bit more time doing... Anything but posting here. You are the car-forums.com poster boy for birth control. In your case I would even approve of abortion.

posted by  vwhobo

I have been a member her for almost 4 months, and that was by far the funniest thing I've ever read vwhobo. I nearly pissed my pants. You can turn a V6 into a V8 with headers? HAHA! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  DSMer

DSMer, how can you find this funny? It's sad dude. lol....

GEEZ. All I can say about -351brain-cells is damn, poor @$$ motherf*cker. Just because this thread is about a mustang, and he seems to like mustangs (hence his screen name) apparently he thinks he knows everything about them and wants to comment. Oh well. That post is so damn sad.

But anyway, -351brain-cells, why post about something if you KNOW you don't have a f*cking clue what your talking about? That really gets me.

posted by  DodgeRida67

His ignorance was'nt funny it was vwhobos reply that was hilarious.

posted by  DSMer

looks like 350braincells got http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s26/smilies-25972.png

posted by  SuperJew

alright im glad you guys got all that out and, but can someone help me with what do to for exhaust i have no clue.

posted by  Nimrod3922

It's a V6 Mustang for crying out loud. If you're only concerned with the looks of the exhaust and not performance upgrades then perhaps you should join fartcannonforums.com.

posted by  vwhobo

VW get a life and shut the hell up. How bout u post something useful and answer the question if u know so much.

posted by  Gunshow

Looks like Gunshow does'nt have the ability to read and or decipher the fact that vwhobo has over 3000+ post, probably wich 2000 of them are all very useful. His record speaks for itself, can yours Mr. Gunshow?

Seems you should take your own advice and shut the hell up, because you did'nt add anything to this thread other than wasted bandwith. I'm almost assertive that any response you could come up with would have been almost identical to 351ci's response... So please I invite you to furhter answer the question. Maybe you to would like to suggest some V8 headers?

posted by  DSMer

I concur with DSMer. If you're the local genius, or the question is so important to you, why don't you do the research and answer him. Whether you like it or not, the last two words of the thread title are "your opinion". I think in post nine of this thread I pretty clearly stated my opinion.

Now in post twelve we'll have a fact. That fact is that you are a whiny little bitch. I bet you don't like that either. Good! Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

aww man that is some funny shit.. look my brother likes to get on and post shit to ok. let me just explain a little bit about my car to clear shit up...

Edelbrock Performer aluminum cylinder heads, they feature helicoiled threaded inserts with phosphor bronze valve guides. These heads also feature 2.02" or 1.90" or 2.05 intake and 1.60" exhaust valves comes with 60cc combustion chambers. Because of the larger intake valve these heads are for use comes with aftermarket pistons that have been notched for valve clearance.
These heads also feature top quality 3 and 8" rocker studs. :clap:

posted by  351ci-mustang

Vwhobo, spare the life of this child. No one that stupid could possibly deem any sort of flaming. Then he tries to cover it up with "my little brother" was posting under my name. Hell, your "brothers" post did'nt make any damn sense, and yours just intensifies the idiocy of those two post.

For further refrence, do you even know what a helicoiled threaded insert with bronze valve guides are? Or better yet, what the hell they have to do with exhaust pipes? Wich was the question at hand.

posted by  DSMer

..... .. i mean are you that stupid? why even comment about that? nah i dont know what it is im just guessing shit out of the top of my head dumbass.!! stupid ****.. i mean why the hell would i put it up there if i didnt know what the hell it is you probably dont know what it is thats why you made some smart ass comment cause you didnt think i knew what i was talking about huh? yeah yeah go look it p on the net and try to say you know what it is.. thats cool :fu:

posted by  351ci-mustang

You worthless little f*cking e-tard. You weren't guessing, you were copying. So you're smart enough to copy and paste some information from Edelbrock's website. How does this translate into answering exhaust system questions? How exactly does that translate into you knowing ANYTHING? With every word you type you're just showing more and more of your ass. Please stop before you cause everyone on this forum to vomit.

I'll give DSMer credit for making a smart ass comment instead of a dumb ass comment like you. Go the f*ck away.

posted by  vwhobo

hey dsmer your so ****ing smart right thats why you thought i had two muscle cars a 351c and a 67mustang i mean......... how much more stupider can you get?? i mean oh my god i cant believe someone would even say that.. :banghead: and uhh yeah my little brother is 17

posted by  351ci-mustang

vwhobo your pathetic why dont you go **** dsmer
i say something about getting info then you got to come back with the same shit just because i said it.. just because i know what the **** im talking about and im proving yalls little bitch asses wrong yall start to get offended and pissed off :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :cussing: :fu:

posted by  351ci-mustang

The only thing you've proven is that you have absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE of cars, or apparently anything else either. You are the stupidest and most insignificant person I have EVER had the displeasure of meeting.

posted by  vwhobo

This thread is sickening :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I totally agree. It's like a perfect example of "how stupid can you be". Maybe Mommy will take away his computer privileges. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

and to add to all that nobody gave the poor guy some advice besides the Hobo. heres my :2cents:

i think that the whole dual exhaust concept on a V6 mustang is a bad idea, but if you're set on it then you should do some research as to what you want in an exhaust system. as in fart cannon ability vs. hp increasing ability.

there. :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

First and foremost, I was patronizing your idiocy if you could not tell. Allow me elaborate.

I posted:

I listed 351 as a muscle care because you refer to the engine as if its a car. Allow me to elaborate....

As you can see, you speak of this engine as if its a car. Hence my patronization of "he owns two muscle cars".

No thats not a typo. If you measure the distance fron "e" to "i" you'll see that no human could possibly make that big of an error unless they did'nt know anything about what they were attempting to speak of.

Self explanitory, Skylines have RB mtotors, not 2JZ's.

Right, and if your brother is 17 and still does'nt know what an intake manifold is, let alone how to type and use somewhat decent puctuation. So that when I read "your"/"his" post, I don't have to decipher it, just to find out that its just more bullshit. I can only assume that you two have to be the dumbest people alive. As vwhobo said, you have nothing to add to these forums. Just go away for the better good of these forums.....

posted by  DSMer

......... if its so stupid why keep responding?

posted by  351ci-mustang

Because it's funny how they keep upping more shit out of you and making you go from Idiocy to Neanderthalism.

posted by  thunderbird1100

so which is it 1.90, 2.02, or 2.05...one would think that if you're going to sink over a grand in heads that you'd at least know what size intake valves you have........i'm not even going to attack the 8" rocker studs...i'm just chalking that up to piss-poor typing ability, but to correct you...3/8" rocker studs are not the industry's "top quality", more like 7/16" studs.

Back on topic...There are a few companies that make dual exhaust conversions for your 'stang that are complete bolt on kits-including hangers(muscle mustangs&fast fords did an article on a kit not too long ago, think it was a Borla kit). You could also get headers for your car...a company by the name of JBA makes shorty headers for the 3.8, they are also a bolt on deal.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

jeese yall he is just trying.. give him a chance lol

posted by  EzMustang

Phew what a dumbass. But looks like you guys got that part covered...

Nimrod, before my 95 I had a 98 V6 Mustang with dual exhaust. While it does seem sorta stupid and poserish (I admit) it did waken the thing up and make it sound pretty decent. You don't need new headers but if you want true dual exhaust you will need a new midpipe. My system was by Magnaflow and it was pretty dope. There are plenty of systems out there. Find them how I did: Google (http://www.google.com). Or, because I'm being nice, check out www.stangsites.com, a bunch of Mustang links collected by my buddy.

posted by  95sn95

I would have to agree with vwhobo, that was the stupidest comment i think i've ever heard, however i have a 2001 one V6, yes man six cylinders, and i just wanted to know how dual exhaust would sound.

posted by  james350

I havent ever seen this before, but great job vwhobo and DSM... ! :thumbs:

Wat a dumbass!

posted by  StiMan

Dual exhaust on the V6 doesn't sound too bad. The 3.8 is basically 3/4s of a 5.0. Not quite as throughty as the V8, but decent sounding.

Unlike the Hobo, I think the V6er is a worthy car to mod. it's much cheaper on insurance than the V8 cars, and if you're not going for an ultimate race car, then it really doesn't matter that the V8 ultimately makes more power. the only reason people put down the V6 is due to the V8 being avaialble from the factory. But think of it as a better balanced car that is the inexpensive equivalent of the Japanese and European 6 cyl, RWD coupes. Anyone else making this car for this money, it would be considered the performance bargain of th eyear, but because Ford also had teh V8 one, a lot of people give it a bad time.

So yes, as an inexpensive RWD sport coupe, the V6 with good exhaust, possibly a chip and free flow air cleaner, is a good starting point. You can change cams, and even bolt on a supercharger if you want. But that starts getting into real money (but you still may be saving more annually than the V8 would cost you...

posted by  ChrisV

yeah, I did the math a while back, and a modded v6 as compared to an insurance hell v8 takes 6 years for the v6 to be a better bargain. (this is presuming I really did some heavy mods though).

posted by  Godlaus

well my hole input on this thing is just to have a nice freeflowing exhaust, single pipe, with a glasspack muffler. but thats my idea. and while ur at it strap a intake mOnifold to the hood. :laughing:

posted by  drracing07

Well thanks ChrisV, i appriciate the feed back. i'm just gettin sick of driving a nice car that doesn't sound like it has any balls. i'm lookin for a performance chip to install, but i just put cool air induction on it and i would really like for it to sound a hell of a lot louder, however i haven't heard a V6 mustang with dual exhaust so i just wanted to know if it would be worth while.

posted by  james350

Hey james what is your last name? where do oyou live? i might know you

posted by  CarEXPERT

your kidding right, i live in colorado but i highly doubt your going to know who i am. that's a little creepy but list your info if you really think you know me.

posted by  james350

hey i just wanted to say nevermind on the dual exhaust for my V6 mustang. i recently heard flowmaster dual on one of my friends mustangs and i'm afraid it sounds like a chinked out Honda Civic. So i don't mean to piss anybody off but i think it'd be a waste of time and money.

posted by  james350

Single exhaust with a glasspack...lol. That would sound like shit.

I hope you know that flowmaster mufflers aren't the only option. Dynomax super turbo mufflers flow exceptionally well and aren't as obnoxious as Flowmasters...also, keep your cats...that will keep you're car from sounding like a shit-port without a muffler.

BTW...it's the cool thing now to "strap a intake mOnifold to the hood."......That's too funny.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Flowmaster is terrible. Look for a quality manufacturer (like Corsa) and you will be sure to change your mind.

True, you are never going to get that V8 rumble, but a quality setup that has been tuned for your specific engine will produce a nice tone even with your V6.
http://www.corsaperf.com/autohome.htm

posted by  Gothicaleigh

I don't know whare you guys are getting your information, but racers have been having good luck with Flowmasters for a couple decades. I loved them on my V8 RX7...

http://speed.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/484414d.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

I've heard a lot of good sounding Flowmaster setups.... all on V8s. I've also heard a share of bad flowmaster systems... yup you guessed it... on V6s. So it seems to me Flowmasters belong on V8s moreso, as that is where they can give a good sound. Prove me wrong if you'd like, I'm always willing to learn.

posted by  Flame Roller

I've heard flowmasters oon motorcycle powered Sports racers and formula cars, as well as on a few other SCCA road racers (a GTI and a couple rotary cars). I Also hear da set on an Contour Sport. A bit louder than my SVT but not a bad sound (the SVT Contour has one of the nicest factory exhaust notes I think I've heard in decades...)

posted by  ChrisV

Yes, Flowmaster is an excellent choice if all you want is a low restriction exhaust. However, I have never heard a Flowmaster setup that I didn't find to be obnoxiously loud and unrefined. That may be great for impressing the locals at the dragstrip, but a street car should have a more pleasing note.

Honestly now, how much interior drone does your RX7 have when cruising at speed?

posted by  Gothicaleigh

None. At 2500 under load, it was pretty loud, but normall cruising and on teh throttle sounded just fine.

Mine, however were 2 chamber flowmasters. 3 chamber ones are quieter.

The point is, they certainly aren't crap.

posted by  ChrisV

In my opinion, Flowmaster is the poor mans performance brand of choice. There are a few manufacturers out there that produce mufflers that flow as well if not better than typical 40 series mufflers and sound much better. Blowmasters are fine if you just want loud. SLP, Corsa, and Magnaflow are higher quality, flow exceptionally well, and sound more "refined" than a Blowmaster. I run dynomax super turbo mufflers with dumps and it's loud as hell inside...that's to be expected...but with no cats the car sounds quiet at idle and crescendoes to a flat ripping scream from 4000-6000rpm. I have had more guys than I can count compliment my exhaust, telling me it sounds better than their stangs equipped with 40 series mufflers(both standard and delta varieties). Flowmasters are fine for flathead powered "rat-rods" or hot rods that are way over-cammed.

Bottom line, I'm not saying they're crap, but there are better out there.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

And there's better cars out there than a modded 88 Tbird if you spend more money.

The attitude is crap. They do their job, and they do it well. I got a lot of people complmanting my RX7s exhaust, too. Coming up with stupid little insulting names puts you right back at the level of CarEXPERT in maturity.

posted by  ChrisV

Flowmaster has potential.... but I think as hard as ya gotta work to get it to be the sound you are looking for, you coulda headed to Borla or Magnaflow and gotten 'er done there as well. Also if you shop around you can find a decently priced exhaust from some of those brands or others equally reputable. Yes Flowmasters are great if you are wanting to go cheaper than most others are gonna let you, they give better power than a single exhaust, and they give ya some noise. However like I said, the noise I've heard on the V6 isn't the greatest, but if you hear a good one, attach a sound file or video and I will try to listen to it sometime. Over all the duals on the stang is a good idea, but my friend put dual MAC Performance on his, sounds great and he didn't spend an arm and a leg either. I'd say that would be a good choice too.

posted by  Flame Roller

And how are you proving to be much more mature by ripping on my car? My attitude is not crap, I'm telling it like it is...I used to install 4-5 custom exhaust systems a day on everything from Pulsars to F-350 diesels and everything in between. I've dealt with, installed, and heard more brands of mufflers on more types of vehicles than you could imagine.

BTW, I drive a modded 88 Tbird by choice...I guess you don't understand the sleeper concept very well. So, let's take a step back and re-evaluate who's got the shitty attitude.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

I wasn't ripping on your car, assclown. I think your car is cool. I didnt' call your car names, did I? I was using your own example to show why your logic looks hypocritical. You said you shouldn't get flowmasters because if you spend a bit more money you can get something better. Well, the same logic could be used for your car. Standard debating.

That's not being immature. And until you figure that out, you're still at a Car EXPERT level of idiocy.

As have I in the last 25 years of dealing with street rods, trucks, race cars of all sorts (from formula cars to Porsche road racers, to Mazdas, to pro street). I know what they all sound like. And I know how well the Flowmasters work, from using them as well. As long as you see fit to use insulting little names for the product, your attitude IS crap.

You are reading things into it you shouldn't, but since you went there...

Ever build a V8 Pinto? Talk about a sleeper. How about an '81 Mustang 2.3 liter Cobra with a 460? Another sleeper. How about a stock looking VW Bug with a 2180 that ran 12s? Sleeper again. I understand the concept just fine.

And I NEVER insulted your car (prove where I did!) I was using your logic that you could buy something better to point out where YOUR choice of cars could be considered in the same manner, so using it to make insulting names about Flowmasters, or anything else, is RETARDED.

Get a clue.

There is more than one type of Flowmaster muffler. Other than saying you've installed a lot of mufflers, you have yet to provide tech to show why ANY, much less ALL of them (including the ones on my car), are worthy of your immature little insults. I expected better of you. Apprently I should stop expecting anyone to have a clue.

posted by  ChrisV

Yes, I did read into things too far, that's one of my tendencies. If you want "tech", then here you go. December 2002 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords did a dyno shootout between 15 different mufflers...they also measured the decibels produced by each muffler.

The test mule: 1990 LX Mustang with a 306, D.S.S. pistons, main support girdle, AFM stage III Twisted Wedge heads, AFM N-91 cam, AFM stage III Trick Flow Track Heat intake, 75mm throttle body, AFM power pipe, Pro-M 80mm MAF, 4.56 gears and a Programmable Engine Management System....this is a 370+hp car, TO THE WHEELS.

All that they were looking for were A-B comparisons....

Open Exhaust- 365.2HP@6250/330.1LB-FT@5500
Bassani- 372.0HP@6500/333.5LB-FT@5750
Bassani Real Street- 373.7HP@6500/333.8LB-FT@5750
Borla XS- 373.3HP@6250/332.6LB-FT@5500
Borla XR1- 370.0HP@6000/334.0LB-FT@5500
DynoMax Ultra Flo- 369.4HP@6250/333.2LB-FT@5500
Edelbrock Performer RPM- 370.9HP@6250/331.3LB-FT@5500
Flowmaster- 369.4HP@6000/331.8LB-FT@5500
Flowtech Afterburner- 372.3HP@6250/330.1LB-FT@5500
Flowtech Terminator- 369.5HP@6250/331.3LB-FT@5500
Flowtech Warlock- 366.3HP@6250/325.3LB-FT@5500
Flowtech Warlock(open)- 374.2HP@6250/333.1LB-FT@5500
Hooker Aerochamber- 372.1HP@6250/330.4LB-FT@5500
Hooker MAXflow- 373.5HP@6250/333.0LB-FT@5500
MAC- 372.3HP@6250/331.5LB-FT@5500
MagnaFlow- 372.8HP@6250/332.5LB-FT@5500
Spin Tech- 371.6HP@6250/332.2LB-FT@5500

The bold is to indicate the classic flowmaster...Underlined=exceeded HP&TQ produced by flowmaster, Italic=exceeded HP but produced less TQ than flowmaster.

As far as sound....Flowmaster was middle of the pack when it came to decibels measured at idle, at 2000rpm, and at W.O.T. You can see that Flowmaster is far from the most powerful according to the "stats". Believe it or not, the crappy Flowtech Warlock muffler produced significantly more hp&tq below the peaks than any other muffler, when opened...sometimes by 10-20HP and 15-30LB-FT.

Happy now?

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Hey Chris, I guess there is no arguement against the facts, huh? I'm not one of these punk-ass kids that makes baseless statements...ask and ye shall recieve. Take it easy.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

dude nimrod seriously is a nimrod, who the hell thinks that only v8's can have headers, well....my car is probably alot faster than yours :smoke: maybe you should the cutouts in the middle so we know who you are and make fun of your gay ass :fu: it isnt a vette or anything bro lol :screwy:

posted by  gimbles2step

Nice. Of course, the 4 hp difference between the Flowmaster and the top performer wouldn't be noticeable to the driver. Neither would the ~2 lb ft of torque. Certainly not enough to call them crap. STOCK mufflers would be crap, as would old style glasspacks. That's the point. What would the differences in 1/4 mile times fall out to? And woudl the driver STILL be a bigger variable than the muffler?

You go off calling things utter garbage over 1 or 2 percentage points. That's like saying a car runing a 5.1 second 0-60 KILLS a car running a 5.2 second 0-60. No, a car running a 5.1 second o-60 kills a car runing a 7.2 second 0-70. It's approxin=mtely EQUAl to a car that runs a 5.2 second o-60.

Most of those mufflers listed are more recent copies of the Flowmaster concept. I'm not sure how many of them were around back in '93 when I built my car.

posted by  ChrisV

Doubt he believes that. It's just him trying to justify what he said. Trying to make it true.

posted by  DodgeRida67

ops im a newbie and sont know how to delete this!hahah

posted by  FORDRANGERBOY

dude whoa dude headers (exhaust manifold ) are on all cars that have exhaust.
my comet is an inline 6 it has headers on it.
what about bikes there not v8s so how do they have headers.
all cars have intakes o.
take it to a shop and get it changed to a v8? you don't just walk into to a shop and say hey make v6 into a v8 yea just drill too more cylinders in there.
you can't even walk into a random shop and ask them to stick a v8 in yoru car.
Your the reason i hate f2f

posted by  Aondor

I dont think he's gonna be acknowledging you somehow lol

posted by  Cliffy

i just got the 40 series Flowmaster muffler on my 04 mustang V6 yesterday:asshake: :stupid: :pop: :cussing: :guns: :tard: :driving: :smoke:

sounds beautiful

posted by  ecslickz

Your Message