2003 Ram 1500 trouble codes-HELP!!

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  2003 Ram 1500 trouble codes-HELP!!

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7l and the check engine light just came on about a week ago. THe trouble codes are P0456 and P0633. What do these mean? Also, for about 5 months now when I first start up it idles a little sluggish until I've driven for a couple of minutes. Could this be related? Thanks for any help!

posted by  axe05

Off the top of my head P0456 is a small evap system leak. First thing to check is your gas cap. Make sure it's tight and the seal is in good condition. If the MIL doesn't go out after a few trips you'll need to have it diagnosed, most likely by a shop with a smoke machine. This my cause a slight drivability problem.

P0633 is the SKIM (sentry key immobilizer) secret key is not programmed in the control module EEPROM. I could tell you how to fix this but you're better off taking it to the dealer and getting it fixed under warranty. The same goes for your other code.

posted by  vwhobo

The truck has over 38k miles on it and is out of warranty, so if you have a fix I'd love to hear it. Thanks again!

posted by  axe05

Sure... Paypal me $75 and I'll get right on it.

posted by  vwhobo

Oh, I see...well thanks anyways.

posted by  axe05

a Haynes manual from your local car part/accesories store and find the list of trouble codes in there, they generally have a list. Perhaps that will help you out. For 20 dollars the Haynes manuals are a decent buy, even though they are not overly descriptive with many of their repairs. Sometimes that is nice as it allows for a little extra adventure, and research. Good luck.

posted by  Flame Roller

:thumbs: Thanks! Don't know why I didn't think of that before. I've used Haynes and Chilton manuals in the past on other used vehicles of mine and have had some good results. I'll have to stop by the auto parts store this evening and see if they have put out a manual yet for my truck. Thanks again!

posted by  axe05

Your Message