84 Ford Step on Gas Car Slows Down

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  84 Ford Step on Gas Car Slows Down

Hell-o,

I have a 1984 Ford LTD that's 3.8 liter and fuel injected. I have this problem that started six months ago and seems to be getting worse. Sometimes, I'll be driving and I'll press down on the gas and the car slows down like the engine is going to die. I let off the gas and it speeds up. I press down and it slows down again. Sometimes, I'm able to just stomp on the gas and it'll go. But today, the car almost came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Sometimes, when I'm turning and not giving it gas, it'll die. Though, that hasn't happened since I changed the spark plugs (read more later about what I've done).

Also, it has begun to idle up and down, even dying, after starting. It'll sometimes just shake the car because when it idles down it's pretty rough. I'll hit the gas to keep it going, but then it'll just die if I let it idle down. This sometimes stops after five minutes. Sometimes, when I put it in reverse or drive, it'll just die. This is a newer problem, though I think it may all be related.

I just changed the plugs and wires. I also replaced a PVC filter thingy. I've changed the fuel filter twice. I've had a sensor replaced and a coil. I have also tried all kinds of fuel treatment stuff including water removers and injector cleaners.

Please, anybody, help. This is the only car I have.

Blessed Be,

Jason Hodges

posted by  deadlove75

try and get a different car. Yours may have seen its best years.

posted by  Flame Roller

Do you want to give me the money for a new car?

Blessed Be,

Jason Hodges

posted by  deadlove75

Well, take it to an auto repair center, i dont think anybody here knows whats wrong with your car.. (i know i dont) let us know if you find out what is wrong with it. edit:btw, it sorta sounds like a fuel mixture problem.. but im not sure about that.. (and dont take my thought as a accurate diagnosis.. please dont.. :P)

83camaro

posted by  83camaro

Take it by a good exhaust shop and have them check flow you may have a plugged converter, this can cause the exact symptoms you describe,

posted by  Rhino77_99

Thank you very much for your reply. It has been very cold here lately (I think it's been cold everywhere). I was able to watch both water and air (I could see the air because it was so cold) come from where the catalytic converter conected to the exhaust pipe. Does that mean anything? I think the water was there also because it was so cold. It also came out the tail pipe, which it only does when it's very cold.

Blessed Be,

Jason Hodges

posted by  deadlove75

No, that really doesnt' mean much, but I'd say that your cat's plugged slightly.

posted by  ChrisV

Well, I guess that's one less thing to worry about. Thanks for the reply.

If I were able to get the cat off, would I be able to tell if it's plugged or messed up?

Blessed Be,

Jason Hodges

posted by  deadlove75

Your Message