steering problem with my 1999 mercury cougar

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  steering problem with my 1999 mercury cougar

i have been having a steering problem with my 1999 mercuy cougar for about one week. it feels as though the power steering is messed up. when im parked the wheel moves fine but once i start driving and i go to take turns the steering wheels becomes a lot more stiff than usual. i took it to the dealership and they checked it all and said there is no problem. i want to believe them but i never remembered it being to stiff or tight. any recommendations on what i could do? thanks.

posted by  NightStalker62

I am not too familiar with how the steering system works, especially on your car, but I'd say it sounds like your power steering may not be working, as stiff steering is what old cars used to be like before the days of power steering. So perhaps you should check your hoses to your power steering pump, make sure the fluid level is correct, and maybe someone else can explain how to check to competency of the pump itself, good luck.

posted by  Flame Roller

thanks for the response. its idiotic because my father thinks everyhting is fine because the dealership says it is. i can highly doubt that nothing i wrong but no one seems to believe me. i guess im jsut going to have to go check it myself.

that you notice a 'difference' which would thusly show that something is not, or at least was not right. Since when you got the vehicle it should have been 'right' that leaves the only option... 'wrong'

posted by  Flame Roller

well i think my mother is going to bring it into a differnt shop and will tell them to check the power steering since i think that must be causing the problem. it jsut feels so different and it agrivated me that its harder for me to steer but my dad keeps on saying "its supposed to be that way." what an idiot. im sure its not.

Your Message