1996 Chevy Lumina

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1996 Chevy Lumina

My grandmother has a 1996 Chevy Lumina. She said that the low coolant light was coming on in the car, but it wasnt overheating. A few days later she said that she noticed it again, but this time the car was getting hotter than normal. She took it in to the service tech and they told her it was the manifold gasket. They also said it was 1000.00 to fix it. I just wanted to see if there are any troubleshooting things I could do to help her, because I think the guy is trying to take advantage of her. If anyone know of what may be going on it would help a lot. Thanks :screwy:

posted by  jeremykc

i replaced my intake gasket for around 100, i did it my self though, you can find a good mechanic to do it for about 500, like altons...

posted by  christopherluch

find a reputable garage(someone that will spend a few minutes to talk to you honestly) get the cooling system pressure tested and check for any leaks, if you lose pressure but see absolutely no coolant anywhere, check the oil dipstik, if it's milky and not oily looking then theres probably coolant in the oil, which would be a major thing, but if your just loosing coolant cuz of a leak, fix the leak, and go from there

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

oh is it a 3.1L or 3.4L?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message