Third Generation Camaro HELP

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Third Generation Camaro HELP

Hey Everyone~
I just joined up with this site hoping I could find others to help me out a little. After reading alot of everyone else's posts, I think I'm in the right place. I bought a 1987 Chevy Camaro mid last year with plans for it to be a project car. For 800 bucks, a project car it sure has been. :) I just love camaros though, so I'm dedicated. Aside from the few small tasks I'm in the middle of, my next big project I'd like to start gettin' ready for is replacing her little ol' 2.8 V6 with a 4.3L. Originally I was going to put a V8 in it, but after thinking about everything else that would have to be replaced with it, I decided to just stay with the V6, just go with a bigger one :) .
So, the part I need help with, is I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm doing there. I've been messin' under the hood of all kinds of vehicles for years but by no means am I an expert. I've never done anything that big with a car before.
So, without straight out asking "How Do I Do It?" and wondering why no one has taken the hours out of their day to type a response, :), can anyone suggest some good books or web sites I can go to so I can start readin' up on what I need to learn?
I'm shootin' for April for this project, so any information that y'all can offer will be greatly appreciated and graciously accepted.
Thanks again for your help and I'll be sure to keep up regular updates as progress, well....progresses. :)

posted by  rabbitshole_inc

Your local automotive retailer (we have Canadian Tire here, I don't really know what the equivalent is) should be able to sell you a service manual, which will be invaluable for a project car where you're doing any sort of work. As for the actual engine swap, I don't have any written resources on hand and I'm not sure if a Hayne's manual or that ilk would cover it. In terms of mechanical expertise it's not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be, but it is pretty labour intensive.

posted by  Martian

Your Message