HELP!! please-96 jeep cherokee 4x4 country blows 30amp fuse-no start at all

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  HELP!! please-96 jeep cherokee 4x4 country blows 30amp fuse-no start at all

i have a 1996 jeep cherokee (country) model w/a 4.0litre engine, a few months ago it died on me @ 12 midnight 75 miles from home so i was towed back home and the next day when i could see what i was doin i found a 30amp fuse blown under the hood in the fuse box so i replaced it and the jeep started right up-yee haa-well a month l8tr it did the same thing but in daylight so i opened the hood and replaced the fuse and as soon as i tried to start it blew it again-well i fooled around on side of road for 45 min and went thru 4 fuses that kept blowin-well the 5th one worked and i was on the road again-well it was fine till a week ago and the fuse blew again and now no matter what i do it keeps blowin the fuse-well a mechanic said it was prolly the fuel pump so i changed it and still blows fuse-could it be the ecu unit?
im at a loss here and have no vehicle to drive-well my wife has hers but she travels 100,s of miles a week and i am stuck ;-(
any 1 have any ideas????????? :doh:

posted by  tvtech3

I am having the same problem and am in the process of tracing the harness to all of the accessories on that circuit. Will let you know what I find

posted by  jagworks

What's the fuse for?

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I am having the same problem. have you figured it out? ANy help would be great. thanks

posted by  troutcatcher

It might depend on when the vehicle was actually built (regardless of that it's a 1996, since they started making 96's in June 95... you might want to check your dealership to see if you fall in with this recall...

:2cents:

NHTSA Recall Number: 95V193000

Manufacturer Recall Number: 658

Component Affected: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSE AND FUSE RECEPTICLE

Number of Vehicles Affected: 32000

Manufactured From: Jul 01, 1995

Manufactured To: Aug 01, 1995

Defect: THE FASTENERS WHICH SECURE THE ALTERNATOR CIRCUIT FUSE TO THE POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER CLAMP LOAD.

Consequences: IMPROPER CLAMPING CAN RESULT IN ARCING AT THE CONNECTION POTENTIALLY CAUSING A FIRE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR FUSE WITH A FUSE LINK AND ANY DAMAGE TO THE POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER WILL BE REPAIRED.

posted by  santapookie1

i had a 97 jeep cherokee and i looked all over to solve a fuse blowing issue...what i finally found causing the issue was the rear taillights were filling with water and blowing the fuse .. worth a look anyway :2cents:

posted by  sofaking

I have recently tried to replace my engine control fuse on my 92 jeep cherokee, but it keeps blowing as soon as I turn my key before the engine even starts to crank. I'm thinking it is a short somewhere, but am not sure. If you know that there is a common problem with this or know how to fix it please reply as soon as possible.

posted by  chad303

I encounter the same problem with my 97 but after replacing the rear tailights I've had no problem last 4 months

posted by  Aondor

Did anyone ever find a solution to this besides the tail lights (i.e. distributor, coil, etc). Please post if you have - thanks.

posted by  brittonbeckham

Your Message