Ford Focus problems. Help?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Ford Focus problems. Help?

I'm 15 and my mom has 2000 ford focus zts and about a month ago we went on a trip. On the way there it was kind-of revving up and down a couple 100 rpm's evrytime we went up a hill. (Thats about as good as I can describe it in words) When we got there we checked the oil and it was fine. we filled up the gas tank thinking it might have been bad gas but the same thing was happening on the way back. Except it kept getting worse. About 30 miles out of town we went to pass a truck going about 65 and we were almost around it but my mom just lost her power she had it floored but it wouldn't go any faster. so she slowed down and pulled off at a rest stop. When we went to leave again after checking the engine to see if we could see or hear anything wrong with it but we didn't (I personally thought there was a little wierd clanking but i was probably just being paranoid. ANYWAYS... the car ran fine on the entrance ramp till we reached 50 and then the car started reving really bad and about 10 miles later it jsut quit. we had it towed and looked at and the shop couldn't find anything wrong with it they checked the fuel system and everything. It runs completely fine now in town but on the freeway it still has a little trouble getting up hills and it kind-of scares me becuase this car has 45K miles on it and it shouldn't break down yet. ANYWAYS if you have any suggestions they would be strongly apreciated. :? :? :? [/i]

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

my dad had the same problem but not exactly the same problem try cheaking out the transmition thats what was wrong with my dads car im not 100% sure but its worth a shot

posted by  caffeine junky02

Thanx I think I'll have my auto tech teacher look at it :D :thumbs:

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

If anyone else has any suggestions that might be related to this. they would be appreciated :)

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

I have one.
DON'T BUY AN AMERICAN FORD!!

posted by  vwmaniac

Actually the focus was designed in Europe, and really isn't an American car. And, according to JD Power and associates, the Focus has similar mechanical quality, higher feature and accesory quality, and higher overall quality when compared to a Volkswagon Passat. (Both 2003 models.)

posted by  Widowmaker2k

True, but in Europe the focuses are made in Germany and here they are made in the U.S.
Here their reliability is terrible as in Europe it has won awards for it's reliability.
In Europe the Focus is in sixth place of all cars in reliability exactly the same place as the Vw golf is in.

posted by  vwmaniac

i think the problems we've been having with reliabilty may have to do with the fact that my mom's focus is the first year of production model. they never have all the kinks worked out when they're in the first year. and i think the tranny is the only thing wrong with it... as far as i can tell anyway lol

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

First of all, I'm sure that you know the first-year Foci had immense problems. This might be the cause of everything.

Anyway, it seems to me like it might be a computer-based problem. This could be caused by one of two things. First (and most likely), the tranny is not shifting into overdrive. This would be especially true if you had an automatic. Thus, when you got up to high speeds, the rev limiter would shut the engine down, thus causing it to stall. Since overdrive is not important in lower gears, you wouldn't notice it whilst driving under 40mph. This is why "it rides fine in town" but has trouble on the freeway.

Take it to the dealer and have them look at the transmission (this might also have been the case with the other kid that said the problem dissappeared after the tranny was fixed). One of the things that piss me off the most about my Focus, other than the crappy brakes, is the poor transmission. Get it fixed, and have the computer recalculated, and all should be well.

posted by  TM875

sounds like you know alot about the focus, and i really appeciate ur input. that seems to make alot of sense. :) but my mom's car doesn't have crappy brakes. i might hate the ABS system but the brakes are fine... i'm not sure if you were talkin about the ABS. but the actual brakes themselves work fine.

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

Dude where did you find the definition of a ford. tell your mom to go out and buy somthing made by GMC if she runs into a problem with it will be cheap and easy to fix plus any gmc car would be better than a ford. sorry im not trying to talk sh** about your moms car i just cant help it

one more thing if it is a 2000 shouldn't it still be under warranty ?

posted by  BAVARIANM5WORKS

I'll guess the "M" in your name stands for moron. First, the thread is almost six months old. I'll bet by now the problem is solved. Second, if you re-read what you wrote you'll see that anyone with half a wit knows what you're saying is just ignorant bullsh*t.

If you have nothing useful to add to this forum, I suggest you shut the f*ck up.

posted by  vwhobo

BAVARIANM5WORKS is just another village idiot but I found this post that was sent after Widowmaker2k's post quite interesting.

That's why I've been reading so many bad things about the Focus in these forums while I've said good things and recommended it to people. There is a barrier between the Brits and Americans in here but I keep learning.

posted by  snoopewite

First off, teh US Focus has been made in Mexico, using parts from around the world. The 2000 model year had numerous problmes with parts suppliers (including german rubber seals for teh axles that were damaged by road salt in teh NE US and canada). THe '01 models had far fewer problems, and teh '02 and newer Focii have had no recalls whatsoever (with the exception of teh first 500 SVT models that had a sticking cruise control cable, that was fixed before most of them even reached the dealerships). Other than that, the Focus has been overall a relaible car even in the US.

As for as the problem at hand, it would be helpful to know how many miles were on the car, whether it was a manul or automatic, etc. With enough miles on it, the fuel filter could be bad, or the catalytic converter could be clogging. The symptoms sound very much like the latter. As the converter cloggs up, it restricts overall breathing. the car runs ok at idle, but can't run above a certain speed/rpm (caughing and bucking, ro simply no longer revving). these things can come on suddenly, too. the forward catalytic converter on my XJ6 died one evening after getting gas. Trying to get back on the interstate, teh car wouldn't go over 50 mph, and gradually got worse. the following day, it got better again for a while, but it eventually got bad enough that it wouldn't go over 25 mph. After replacing the catalytic converter, it ran better than it had in years.

posted by  ChrisV

You must be one of those a**holes that actually think ford is a good car company, a GMC would be more reliable and a hell of alot cheaper to fix and if you think i am wrong on that your F***ing crazy, FORD= powerless, cheap,slow,ugly,trashy,and i can keep going but i dont think that i will.

Whats the hobo in your name stand for? oh i get it

oh don't just limit it to ford...GM has quite possibly some of the WORST reliability of everyone! the Trailblazer/Envoy has had numerous problems and breakdowns and gremlins I have EVER seen...AutoWeek agrees.

GM :tomato:

You :tomato:

posted by  SuperJew

BAVARIANM5WORKS said it so it must be a fact :rolleyes:

Yeah, you tell him :rolleyes:

Everyone throw tomatos at the village idiot :tomato: You too Car Guy.

posted by  snoopewite

Ya know, the last time I posted on this thread I thought to myself 'He can't really be that stupid, can he?'. Well yes he is. What exactly are your qualifications to determine if a car or car line is more reliable or cheaper to fix than another? Do you have anything tangible to prove this or are you just spouting your uneducated opinion and pretending it's fact? I do.

As the owner of 3 1/2 automotive repair shops and an ASE CMAT with over 30 years experience I think I'm probably a bit more qualified then a 14 year old masturbator to make this call. Overall, in the grand scheme of things, DCX, FoMoCo, GM are about the same. Sure you can pick a car out of Ford's lineup and say it's crap but you can say that about any of them. Bottom line little man is don't speak of which you do not know.

By the way, if you're going to try to flame me, put a little more effort into it next time. And I've changed my mind as to what the "M" stands for in your name. Just look in the second paragraph to find out.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok, I want you to come here and show me exactly how this car is any of the things your retarded brtain thinks it is:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/svt1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/svt3.jpg

Fact: it never has so much as a single problem the entire time I owned it. Fact, it was an autocross winner, and a rather fast daily driver.
Fact, it is a car routinely praised by the automotive press AND enthusiasts of other marques.

My '96 Ford Ranger Splash was also perfectly reliable, rather quick for a truck, comfortable, and good looking.

Of course, new Mustangs are prety fast (the ones I've seen out at the track have certainly not been slow) and the new GT40 is one of the fastest production cars on the planet, dynoing over their 550 hp rating. What part of powerless and slow does THAT fit into?

Oh, and to really get you going, my BMW is getting a Ford engine, because I want something powerful and reliable.

I've owned over a hundred cars, from most manufacturers, including a number of GM cars that I liked. I'm here to tell you that you're a complete retard. A know-nothing pile of trash that couldn't come up with a single intelligent bit of knowledge about cars if your life depended on it.

posted by  ChrisV

That's all you had to say.

Just kidding because I found it an interesting post. You (ass-u-me) could have dressed a bit smarter for the photograph though :PP

BAVARIANM5W:tard:RKS, :tomato:

posted by  snoopewite

Yeah, if I had thought about actually being in a photo of my car, I would have. But that's merely how I was dressed when I brought it home. Normally I'm behind the camera, not in front of it.

posted by  ChrisV

lol it is a knowen fact that a gm car is cheaper to fix than ford i doubt that you own your own shop, yeah im not saying that gm products are the best but they are better than ford and the general public agrees with me, im just curious where are all of you from alabama or tennesee ? (white trash states) just wondering because it seems that the way that you strike back for being how old you are is somwhat white trash just asking?

I didn't say that there was not any fast fords that would make me stupid, but did you just call me a pile of trash when your the one standing in front of a ford lol look again and see who is the pile of trash. My grandfather owns a 03 navigator and guess what it has been in the shop at least 4 times for major problems, i live in a upscale neighborhood and i can count the number of fords on half a hand going back to what i said earlyier about white trash liking ford, there is only one ford that i can give credit where it is needed the f 150 becuase of it being the number one selling truck in america. I know that there is fast fords becuase my freind has a mustang rousgh or somthing like that anywaise it is fast. But why has the mustang never been able to compete against the corvette ford has made some poor choices such as putting a 4 banger into the mustang back in the day sports car i dont think so. yeah your ford might be fast but i would not be proud of driving that you prob get laughed at all the time .

messed up

Did you mean to type: -
"FORD= powerless, (well not all Fords) cheap,(well not all Fords) slow (well not all Fords)" :rolleyes:

BAVARIANM5W:tard:RKS = stupid :tomato:

posted by  snoopewite

Yes you are :tomato:

posted by  snoopewite

:tomato: the village idiot!!!!

:tomato: :tomato:

posted by  SuperJew

Wow f*cking wow. First you say that you doubt I own my own shop. Let me say you are so dumb that I doubt you can find your ass with both hands, and I know I'm closer to being right.

As for me or anyone else here being from "white trash states", if that is in fact the case, why am I able to spell, puntuate and structure sentences but have trouble with all three.

With every word you type in this forum you are displaying your advanced stupidity. Please do us all a favor and refrain from posting until you get a clue. THINK, TYPE, SUBMIT.

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah, I'm originally from Seattle, such a "white trash neighborhood." :roll: At least I have more than 4th grade typing and punctuation skills. Come back when you actually HAVE an education.

Why is it a goal with you to be a retard? Is being bigoted, narrowminded, and ignorant the way you chose to go through life, or is it a happy byproduct of your parents being brother and sister?

BTW, the Mustang was never supposed to be competition for the Corvette. Like the first Corvettes, however, the first Mustangs were 6 cyl cars, designed to be inexpensive sporty 2+2 coupes, and that's what they've basically been since that time. it's why they sell so well and GM's competiton didn't (and no longer exists...). Apparently the 4 and 6 cyl versions were such mistakes that people actually bought them, vs the Camaro and Firebirds...

posted by  ChrisV

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s22/smilies-42757.png

posted by  SuperJew

'Tosser'....is a word that just springs to mind here...Ford is a quality manufacturer who produce some very nice cars...I think the fact that you replied to an age old topic says it all. You should go back to playing the Playstation and your Matchbox cars :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

"BAVARIANM5WORKS" has won, by unanimous decision, the "MENTAL MIDGET OF THE YEAR" award. You can collect your award at any public restroom, in the toilet of your choosing.Congratulations :thumbs:

posted by  lectroid

Yes, just as i thought you seem to be white trash lol i was 3rd in my class. The way i type in no way can determine my intelligence, surprisingly I excelled in english both of my sisters where valedictorians and i attended a private school in pheonix arizona (Brophy) not that any of you would know that. Me not being 14 or whatever you said am now attending ASU you might have heared of that majoring in law. One of you and you prob know who i am talking about did sound very intelligent but then again you cannot determine somones intelligence by the way they type. I think it is called spelling and grammer check. But anywaise this will be the last time i respond in this forum i cannot stand you people and i am sure your glad that i am not coming back. Oh by the way my parents just bought me a denali and i am proud to drive it would it of been a ford..........................................oh waite i forgot my parents arent dumb

lol did you just say my parents being brother and sister? im sorry i regret to inform you that my parents come from 2 of the best familys in america and germany so, my parents being from 2 diff countries it would be pretty hard for them to be brother and sister.

In the words of vwhobo, wow, f*cking wow. In 52 “words” there were only 3 technical errors, 4 spelling mistakes and 6 grammatical errors. Remember the less you say the less chance you have of being wrong…STOP TYPING..!!!!!! How on earth do you come to the conclusion that you are from

Well ?????????????????????

Also note that this quoted sentence implies that he is from 4 different families. That would explain a lot…. Opinions everyone?

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

BAVARIANM5W:tard:RKS was retarded and he probably had webbed feet and twelve fingers... on the same hand :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :soul:

posted by  snoopewite

Majoring in law? I really hate to be your client when you're asked to type a legal brief, or even come up with a coherent argument. Yes, dumbass, you do show how stupid you are with your grammar. A few typos on a message board are nothing to make a big deal over. We all do them. But you have gone beyond typos. Your typing here shows lack of thoughtfulness, lack of coherent thought processes, lack of skill, and thus lack of intelligence. Anyone doing what you claim to be doing wouldn't show this lack of ability. Especially when trying to win an argument on how intelligent you look.

Did I say your parents were brother and sister? I meant to say you are a bleating foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know.

Maybe later in life, after you have learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more success. True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us "normal" people take for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we sometimes forget that there are "challenged" persons in this world who find these things more difficult. If I had known, that this was your case then I would have never read your post. It just wouldn't have been "right". Sort of like parking in a handicap space. I wish you the best of luck in the emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a demand on you.

posted by  ChrisV

So, uhhh, what are you trying to say? :hi:

posted by  vwhobo

he he he...his feet and hands were webbed together.. :laughing:

Now this doesn't deserve a he he he, it deserves BAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...etc.. :lol: i would have said that this was as good as a pimp slapping.. well done chris...! :thumbs: Genius, pure genius..

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I, for one, especially liked this part:

and for the whole thing by ChrisV...http://www.mustangcentral.net/mcforums/images/smilies/rollinonfloo r.gif

this was as good as the famous Pimp Slap - good job! :thumbs:

and i'll bet the village idiot really is a homeless bum whose parents were homeless

:tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: for the village idiot!

posted by  SuperJew

Open recall on fuel pumps on focus take it in to the dealer, tell them the problem and ill bet they put in a new fuel pump

posted by  Rhino77_99

Your Message