Speaking of idling...

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Speaking of idling...

I've got a Lumina Z34 3.4L DOHC and it idles around 1krpms. Is this a result of the engine being old and worn out? Is something broken? Is this normal?

posted by  Nichol Bolas

Normal, some cars idle at 1000.

posted by  CarEXPERT

noi don't think it's normal not for a stock engine even most performance engenies with high vale overlaps idle this high. why don't you check for vacuum leaks?

posted by  carlos

how could a vacuum leak make the RPMs higher?

posted by  CarEXPERT

usually a vacuum leak will indicate a lean condition(more air than fuel going out the exhaust)which the O2 sensors will pick up, this will make the ECU compensate by adding more fuel and therefore raising the RPMs

posted by  carlos

How do I check and see if it's a vacuum leak?

posted by  Nichol Bolas

1st off don't forget to do a visual check some leaks you can find by looking around and some you can hear. others you have to use a water bottle and spray suspect areas such as vacuum lines, throttle body etc.
by spraying water look for a change in RPM, if water at any point enters your engine you'll hear a decrease

posted by  carlos

hi my names john and im a newbie to this site but not to cars so ill help as much as possible.

adjust your timing ir carb if i find out anyhting else that might b wrong ill tell you.

posted by  johnnmon9304

Your Message