98 Saturn SL "Security Modes"

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  98 Saturn SL "Security Modes"

Had a minor run in w/ a guardrail in early January. Thanks to the backlog at the shop, I just got my car back.. And here's the problem.

It has one of the factory 'alarms' and keyfob to control it. Before it went into the shop, it would chirp when you locked it (with the fob), chirp twice when you unlocked it, the lights would flash, and it would arm itself after about a minute even if the doors weren't locked.

Now all the fob will do is lock and unlock the door/trunk and set off the 'panic mode'. The lights don't flash, the horn doesn't chirp, the alarm doesn't arm itself, and to be honest, I'm not all that sure if it's armed when I lock the doors.

According to the shop, the security mode cleared because the car sat out in the cold for so long and the battery lost charge (which makes it odd that my clock and radio stations are still set), and all I need to do is reprogram it with a series of actions that can be found in the owner's manual.

I don't have an owner's manual.

So I called the nearest Saturn dealer, which is about 90 miles away. They say that to program it, they need to plug into the computer.. not just give me a series of actions. I called the local GM dealer to see if they could do it, but of course I couldn't be that lucky..

Now here's the question:

Is there a way to set the 'security mode' with a series of actions (turn key halfway, hold rear window button down for three seconds, lick your right eyeball, etc), or does it really have to go to a Saturn dealer? If so, does anyone have access to the Owner's Manual of an SL with the willingness to give me the codes?

I'd appreciate any answer, especially if it's the one I want! ;')

Thanks....

Kevin

posted by  leekev

ya fix it by now?

My ex had a new civic with sorta same prob., couldn't start car, alarm would sound.

ended up that the battery had to be completely disconnected to drain alarm circuitry and then reconnected. Worked great.
(ofcourse she thought that up, i still had head under dash :oops: )

posted by  meckano

He probably fixed it by now, or sold the car :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message