I need help on a paper.

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  I need help on a paper.

What gas mileage does the 1968 camaro get (stock)??

posted by  DSMDriver

There is no definitive answer to that question, and here's why;

- There were eight different engine options (that I know of) for a '68 Camaro, including a 230ci 6cyl, 250ci 6cyl, 302 Z-28 V-8, two different 327's and three different 396's big blocks. HP ranged from a low of 140hp to a high of the underrated L-78's 375hp. Big difference in economy between these motors.

- There were several different tranny's available, including 2spd powerglide automatic, three speed TH400 automatic and several manual transmissions (with different ratios)

- a plethora of rear end gear ratios ranging from probably 2.73's to 4.10's

- Then you need to think about city vs. highway vs. combined mileage. If it's highway mileage, at what speed. There is a big difference in wind resistance between driving at 55mph vs. 70mph.

So the best answer I can give you is probably a low of 6 - 8mpg for an L-78 396 with auto and 4.10's driven around town spinning the tires periodically to a high of maybe 18 - 22mpg for a 6cyl manual with 2.73's on the highway at a reasonable speed.

Dave

posted by  DPelletier

Impressive answer for a question that has so much room for large amounts of answers..... I'd like to say that you might want to narrow down what vehicle setup you are working with for your paper DSMDriver, then we will all be able to help you out more.

posted by  Flame Roller

Ultimately, that's what I meant to say, it just seems I can't stop "thinking out loud" (so-to-speak) sometimes! :doh:

Dave

posted by  DPelletier

Thanks.

posted by  DSMDriver

Your Message