My friend's 1974 Plymouth Duster

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  My friend's 1974 Plymouth Duster

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

So a friend of mine was talking to his neighbor about a 1974 Plymouth Duster that he had but never used. It belonged to the guy's father, and after his death, my friend's neighbor got it. Only problem is: it hasn't been started in 18 years.

Now he's moving and it's fallen into my friend's hands. The body is in great shape (been in a garage for those 18 years, so just a lot of dust), but the engine doesn't look so hot, and it doesn't start

So my friend asks me if I want to help him fix it up. Neither of us have any experience. Do you think it's possible to fix it up again? How long will it take us?

posted by  deranged

Sure it possible, all it takes is money and time. How long will it take depends on how much it needs to restore/fix it and what you want to do to fix it up. These cars are never really finished..... :wink2:

Spark plugs/oil change and a little soap & water wouldn't take too long but most of these cars that have sat for awhile need a bit more then that. Good Luck!!! :thumbs:

posted by  fc7gtx

Hi deranged. I owned the original little old lady's Duster about 10 years ago. It was a 73, baby blue with slant 6cly. Only had 13,000 miles on it when I bought it. Is your's a 6 or an 8?

posted by  Snappydwp1

Not mine, and I believe it's a 6

posted by  deranged

If you can't tell a slant 6 from a v-8 then it'll take you forever.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I am this friend, it is a slant 6 engine that does not start. I'm asking if anyone knows what to start with whether it be the electrical system first, brakes, engine, or anything else.

posted by  bobbert

I think you may have some fun with rubber and cork seals.

Nice motor the slant six, we had them here for a while.

posted by  Wally

1) Start by switching the battery to a fully charged unit from another car (or a new, charged battery)

2) see if the engine will crank over. If so, continue.

3) rig up a fuel line to a temporary container as the original gas tank will be full of rust and varnish at this point, which will require draining of the tank and possible tank refurbishment or replacement later.

4) pull a plug and see if you have spark when the motor is turning over, if you do....

5) pour some fuel in the carb and give it a shot.

If it won't turn over, check all the electrical connections between the battery, starter, solenoid, engine ground.

If it turns over, but has no spark, try checking and/or replacing plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor.

If it turns over but won't start and it has spark, try a carb cleaner to remove varnish deposit.

If none of the above works, you will need to dismantle, clean, replace or refurbish various fuel and electrical components as necessary.

Good luck,

Dave

posted by  DPelletier

step 6: give up completely and give me the car, i think it's probably hopeless... :laughing: :hi: :smoke:

posted by  dodger65

dont give up just save money and get a new motor

posted by  Speed Demon

shhhh.... i'm trying to get a free duster here... :hi: :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message