1946 Plymouth Brake Question

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  1946 Plymouth Brake Question

I have a 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door coup that I would like to put front disc brakes on. I remember being told that there were a few newer vehicles frames that would simply slide into the plymouth frame and you get instant disc brakes. I don't remember what vehicles they were though. Does anyone know what cars these would be? This way I can get rid on the king pin as well, (not the greatest handling the road). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

posted by  46plym

It's not a direct fit, but with very little modification a Volare/Aspen subframe will work. Instant discs AND it stays all Mopar.

The Mustang II front end will also work but it's not quite as sturdy.

posted by  vwhobo

How do you replace brake pads? Is it easy or do you always need to go to a shop and have it done?

posted by  CarEXPERT

I have elves do mine. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

hobo, seriously have anyone accually done it themselfe? Is it really hard to do it? Do you just take it out and put the pads on?

posted by  CarEXPERT

It is very simple. Just make sure you have some loctite handy if you are resusing the bolts, some chord to hold the calipers up and an 8" or 10" G Clamp to push the pistons back. A proper kit will include new pads, anti rattle shims and precoated bolts.

posted by  Wally

mr vwhobo what make's the mustang II front end not as stury??we did look at a valarie but opted to keep it ford. its on the 52 ford in my avatar

posted by  osborste

Smaller ball joints and control arm bushings. Also as I recall the rotors are about 1" smaller in diameter. Don't get your panties in a wad, I didn't say the Mustang front end sucks. One benefit of using the Ford set-up is there are plenty of Fords in the junkyard to chose from.

posted by  vwhobo

yes the ball joint's are smaller and the bushings. had me a little worried that it wasn't a good choice i have had no complaint's with it. thanks for the input

posted by  osborste

Your Message