1999 Camaro SS Question

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  1999 Camaro SS Question

My father owns a 1999 Camaro SS and I was trying to find out the horsepower, torque, 0-60 time, and quarter mile for him. Now anyone reading this would think that this is common knowledge, and it is when you have a regular Camaro SS. My father owns an SS that was modified by SLP. The modifications were done at SLP (Street Legal Performance, www.slponline.com) before it was sent to the dealership, therefore these aren't specific modifications my father knew of and knew what exactly was being improved. The numbers I'm looking for are very hard to find, but they are out there, I know it because I know that in 1999 there were other Camaro SS's that were SLP modified. What I've read for a couple people is that their SS that was SLP modified had a 0-60 time of 2.8 sec, which is outstanding, but I want to verify this with several other people.

Please help and thanks for reading

posted by  russkie15

My understanding is that ALL SS Camaro's are modified by SLP in order to become SS Camaro's. I know that all Firebird Firehawk's are SLP modified (SLP turns them into a Firehawk), I believe the same is true for the WS6. The same way the Syclone and Typhoon were created by PAS for GMC. Oh, and 0-60 in 2.8 seconds is ridiculous.

posted by  Bino

First check with a chevrolet dealer and see if you can find out which slp options were installed. You can get the list of options by calling or e-mailing SLP. After you find out the options, then you will be on track to find out the rest of what you want to know ! :thumbs:

posted by  ode94

Only one way to find out actual 0-60mph time and 1/4 mile times. He has to run it himself. Times vary on driver/track/traction(tire combo)tuning etc. Ride in a car that runs 0-60mph in 2.8 and then ride in your dad's car. You might feel a difference. :doh:

posted by  fc7gtx

I'm not saying your are wrong because I do not know, BUT..... I find it hard to believe it runs 0-60 in 2.8. Of all the things you want verification on that is the easiest. At a stop light stomp it and have someone in the pasenger seat with a stop watch look at the speedo. :mrgreen:

posted by  corbett_auto

yea, i didn't say i did a 2.8 or that I'm claiming it can, I think no one is for sure really as it's modified.....

btw, the slp mods for all camaro ss's is wrong, as i've seen very few SLP SS's and when it was bought, they told us that only a handful of the SS's had the mods...

i do have a list in a door and can post the mods if you want, i'm not sure if that can help you give me an closer picture for what i'm seeking

thanks for feeback, ill try to contact SLP

posted by  russkie15

ya i really think that tahs not true. Pretty much because in the guenis book of world records it has the fastest race car and it only does like 3.8 or something..anyways look it up...and tell those people to send the car to genuis if it is true

posted by  Private Donkey

SLP claims 4.9sec 0-60 and 13.5@103mph in the 1/4 mile. this is what i found for times.... i also read that very few SS's were slp modified :2cents:

i believe if it was running 2.8 0-60 there would be a ton of hype for it :wink2:

posted by  sofaking

Just a couple things.
A. I know if it were my car, I would have done a ton or research about it by this point, so I trust your research about the SLP modification. I guess I learned something new today.

B. Every dealership I've ever walked into, I've known more about the vehicle I was looking at, and more about nearly every other vehicle on the lot than all the salesman combined (I went to a Pontiac dealership and they didn't even know what a Firehawk was... and I was driving one). I have no idea how those people sell anything. The only thing they have to contribute is sometimes the history, and how much they're asking. I guess I'm saying don't trust what the dealer tells you... Rant over.

posted by  Bino

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I watched a special about SLP on Speed Channel over Thanksgiving. My above statement is 100% correct, all SS Camaro's are modified by SLP to become an SS Camaro, same goes for the Pontiac Firehawk (the program made no mention of the WS-6). The last several years of Camaro SS were actually built at the SLP facility. Finished is probably a more accurate statement, as SLP technically just finished out the drivetrain with relevant SLP components.

posted by  Bino

Your Message