drag racing

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  drag racing

what accesories would you recomend to a mopar for drag racing?

thanks

posted by  MoparMan

That's a real broad question. Be more specific. :thumbs:

posted by  fc7gtx

what exhaust tips, air intakes, and any other accesories would you recomend to a dodge demon 340 for drag racing?

posted by  MoparMan

how fast do you want to go?

posted by  dodger65

i want to go around 9-9.5 seconds in the quarter mile

posted by  MoparMan

I doudt if you will be needing exhaust tips on a 9 second race car. :mrgreen:

You will need around 800 Flywheel HP to get a 3400lb car down the track in 9.40's. I doudt if that little 340 can handle that but I would pay to see it. :laughing: I like your enthusiasm but your wishes are way past your means. You could build a stout 340 Demon to run mid-high 11's but that would take a very good combo and experience.

posted by  fc7gtx

thanks i will think about that

posted by  MoparMan

what about a Demon 440, 727 Dana 488,tubd, 4 link. DO you think that might get me in the 10s

posted by  MoparMan

...i think he needs a giant fart-can muffler... :thumbs: :drool:

posted by  dodger65

I would think it really should. Dont know too much but going by the car (nice one at that) and the parts you want i bet it'd make it. My dads old Firebird could reach into the 9's with a 427 and the slicks.

posted by  car_crazy89

do you think a stereo system will add too much weight for racing or should it be ok?

posted by  MoparMan

The car already weighs what...3400lbs? tack on another 50 for a full stereo....wont have tooo much of an effect....(All depends on what kind of stereo you're thinking of)

posted by  dodgerforlife

If you're getting a stereo that's that big, maybe you should be more worried about the power that it's going to draw than the weight. ... I guess you could just turn it off while racing though.

Maybe you should get into the sauna and lose some pounds before each race too. :laughing:

posted by  windsonian

It doesn't sound like you are looking for a track car. To get the power you want will require alot more than just bolt-ons. The best bet may be for you to go hang around the drag strip and talk to some of the guys there. Find out what they are running, learn what questions you need to ask. It's amazing the qnswers you get when you ask the right questions.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

posted by  corbett_auto

Are you kidding!!! :ohcrap:

First you want to know if exhaust tips would be good for a 9 sec 340 demon race car, then you drop to maybe a 10 sec race car, now your asking if a stereo would be good. What's up with this. :screwy: Peek into any 9-11 seconds race car and I doudt many if any will have stereo's. Who's going to be able to hear it for one and to build a 'serious' race car the last thing you worry about is 'tunes'.
No a stereo won't add to much weight to a race car....... If its runs 14.00's. :laughing:

posted by  fc7gtx

I donbt think it'd make TOO much of a difference. Are you wanting this as strictly a track car or do you want it so you can use it as a 'daily driver' during the week and a race car on the weekends? It also all depends on how much time/money your willing to put into the car. I'm sure it can be done.

posted by  car_crazy89

He doesn't know what he wants, he's a highschool ricer magazine junkie that got ahold of an american small block v-8 car.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I wish i could be so lucky (not the junky part but to get a hold of an American classic, love the old cars). Why 'rape' a cara like that when you can enjoy it stock or close to it. Minor changes are good but dont go too overboard.

posted by  car_crazy89

the 340 can run 9's i dont know who said it would be hard todo but its very possible.....you will need to spend alot of dollars to get it into this range but it can be done

posted by  sofaking

thank you sofaking and screw you dodgerida. o shit this is mopar man i'm on my friends name

posted by  crazy4cars

Don't waste your money!!! Its all a gimmick.

I do have a few thoughts....

1) Running a 1/4 in the times you are asking for takes more than a fast car, reaction time a skill play a very very large role.

2) Also don't expect a few bolt ons to get you to where you want to be.

posted by  corbett_auto

it could be a gimmick and all but there is a 30 day money back guarantee which means i could drive it around a whileand test if it gives at least better gas mileage.

posted by  MoparMan

Very true... If you do get it.. report what you find... we'd love to have an unbias report.

posted by  corbett_auto

I dont think youll be needing exhaust tips if your wanting to run 9s, more like running open headers. Id go with a with Holley stuff, Probe Industries, etc. just make sure you actually have the money to spend, and that you know how to handle a car that fast.

posted by  FordFromHell351

It does nothing and your "testing" will not be scientific enough to prove it one way or the other. Trust me and don't waste your time; or don't, your call! :mrgreen:

It would appear that you don't have the knowledge or experience (and probably not the finances) to build a 9 or 10 second street car. A Demon 340 is a great car and is one of the fastest small blocks ever built. Be happy with a 13 or 14 sec Demon and maybe one day you'll be ready to build a racecar. In the meantime, slow upgrades and changes to the 340 Demon should keep you interested and occupied.

Cheers,
Dave

posted by  DPelletier

you're right i dont have the knowledge or experience. I'm only 14, but now i saw a '69 Formula S Cuda that my uncle is planning to sell, so i can probably get a good price. It has a 340 engine too, but later on i plan on buying a larger engine for it.

posted by  MoparMan

Sorry for stating the truth, next time I'll sugar-coat it for the people that can't handle it.

NOT.

But have a nice one.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I knew you were only 14 (or thereabouts), and that's OK! My son is 14 and is getting interested in cars too. An A-body Mopar with a 340 is a potent musclecar, don't sell it short; you may find it has more power than you think. If you can afford it and it doesn't need more work than you are capable of doing (or paying someone else to do), then get it and enjoy it. Save the dreams of 500ci big blocks, tubs and slicks and 9 sec. 1/4mi times for down the road.
Just my advice.

Dave

posted by  DPelletier

I agree with Dave. Nobody starts with a 9 sec car. You build up to it. My first car was a 67 VW Bug (maybe a 20 sec car) I loved it and thought it fast. The worst thing you can do is lose sight of what makes you happy. Don't follow the crowds, find out what makes you happy and do it. There are many great cars out there that are far from running 9 secs.

posted by  corbett_auto

This topic reminds me of my younger days. My brother found a car he wanted to buy when he was 16; it was a 1968 GTO that had a transplanted 427 450hp L-72 out of a '66 'vette. Very fast. Anyway, my dad hummed and hawed over letting him get it. I told Dad that he'd be fine with it while I secretly figured he'd crash it, but hopefully not to badly!
He bought the car and put it into the ditch the first week. He was fine and the car just had minor damage to the front fender. He drove it for a couple of years after that. Sold it to a 17 year old buddy who totalled it in the first week (hit a pole). Just for comparison purposes, this was a 12 second car.
My point is that a 450hp, 12 second car is quite fast and can also be a handful for those not used to driving such a powerful vehicle.

Dave

posted by  DPelletier

Both statements are well said and weigh heavy on actual experience. :thumbs:

posted by  fc7gtx

no kidding. based on my own experience, you definitely want to drive your old car for a while to get a feel for it before you get all crazy w/ it...

posted by  dodger65

Your Message