Who hates the new Charger?

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Who hates the new Charger?

I loved the '69 Charger but those says have passed now. :banghead:

posted by  Car_Nut723

I would like it more if they made a coupe

posted by  99integra

I agree with you in a sense. The 1969 Charger is my dream car with the 1968 Charger close behind. This new Charger shares nothing with the original except the name and a 'Hemi'. Ford seemed to have put more effort into the new Mustang then Dodge did into the new Charger.

posted by  car_crazy89

They tried to make it more of a drivable car than a hard ass performance car like they did in the 60's

posted by  99integra

Umm, considering I didn't grow up with chargers...

I got to see the Charger R/T at the dealership the other day, and it actually doesn't look to bad as a sedan. I'm going back for a test drive next week(it comes out of the showroom).

But, I don't really mind the new one, something had to change from the 60's to the 2000's... Hell, even look at the mustang, it isn't totally like the ones from the 60's.

What did you honestly expect?

OH SHIT YEAH! I FORGOT ABOUT THIS!!!

I was talking to my guy down at the dealership the other day, and apparently a charger coupe is in the works, along with the CHALLENGER in the next few years :clap:

posted by  dodgerforlife

it actually does look extremely bad for a sedan. Sedans do not have to necessarily be ugly- look at the new bmw's or mercedes or lexus or infinitis or acuras. They tried to remake an icon and they didnt even get the number of doors right. hahahahah. THe charger is a coupe and always will be. THey should name this new one the "cheaper" or the "ch-american cars suck"

posted by  Jay-G

So, you must be a car aficionado- i hunk of junk redneck cnfederate yee-haw muscle car is your "dream car" why dont you be creative and pick something liek a pagani or a lamborghini miura. I mean, cmon, a charger, lol. You should not be able to speak in any forums mr. 15 yr old

posted by  Jay-G

just STFU Jay-G. :cussing: i understand that everyone has a right to an opinion, but for your information-- that includes carcrazy89. all you do is spew poorly typed, idiotic, random negativity--so YOU should not be permitted to speak in a forum. at least cc89 tries to contribute to the topic w/ more intelligent responses than "that sucks", "i hate that", and "you should like exotic european cars like my yugo-driving ass does". just f*cking stop attacking people for no reason, jackass!

because that's NOT creative. if you're talking about a popularity contest, i'm sure that your "exotic european car" would probably win based on all the 13 year old kids on the planet that go by looks rather than performance. so i think he is being more creative than a lot of people that go w/ an exotic or the typical "camaro", "mustang", "viper" as their favorite car...

posted by  dodger65

Why did you even come to these forums you dickweed, first of all he can't be a redneck because he is Canadian and you can't judge people by their cars. Secondly it doesn't matter the age of the person, some people come to learn some people come to help and some people come here just to flame and see what happens. You on the other hand are pissing me off more than anybody else has in the past. :banghead:

posted by  99integra

lol dickweed. :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

I dont by any means hate it. I would just like to see a 2 door version of it and maybe a more agressive front end.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Like I said, its quite possible...I can't wait :smoke:

posted by  dodgerforlife

Personally, I like the new Charger. And when people get all upset about the way it looks, I remind them that there have been five separate Charger generations/body styles in production, and that they didn't look like the previous versions. The LAST Charger was even FWD!

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/dodge-charger/images/dodge-charger- 1966a.jpg

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/dodge-charger/images/dodge-charger- 1969a.jpg

http://www.cars-on-line.com/17600/73dodge17679-A.JPG

http://www.bambootrading.com/300/a314.jpg

http://starfox.unh.edu/cars/charger22.JPG

And dont' forget the small Chargers from Brazil that were rebadged Darts:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/730000-730999/730296_18_ full.jpg

The Aussie charger was a rebadged Valiant with a 6 cyl (a very cool 6 cyl, however!)

The new Charger is simply the latest Dodge performance car. And it outperforms every older Charger with the exception of the Hemi and certain Big Block cars of the '60s. And even then, only their drag race performance betters the new one (and only slightly at that).

Yes, it now has 4 doors. That's because in the decades since the last RWD charger appeared (nearly 30 years ago), performance 4 door sedans have become not only accepted, but often more desireable, due to being more useable when NOT using the performance.

posted by  ChrisV

Grow up, assclown.

posted by  ChrisV

http://www.ianai.net/jokes/forumpix/GlassOfSTFU.jpg

You just can't quit can you :banghead:

posted by  99integra

We are all extremely tired of hearing from you, how about you just shut your ****ing mouth or better yet, leave?

And you should not be able to speak in any forums "mr. i know nothing except how to talk trash about shit i dont know" :banghead: . I'm sorry if i'm not like every other person and love the new cars that i could never afford, i'd rather go for something i actually have a chance of owning.

posted by  car_crazy89

well, you have high hopes in life.hahahahahah. YOu also have lots of confidence. If a 40 yr old car is what you think you will be able to afford. DReam cars are called Dream cars because you are supposed to dream about owning one, not settle for one.

posted by  Jay-G

i was going to type something, but you're not even worth the time for that...

posted by  dodger65

I can't help typing something with all the shit about how Floridians are dumb, that pushed me over the edge :banghead:

posted by  99integra

was that edited or something? b/c i don't see it... :doh:

posted by  dodger65

Meh your opinion is worthless to me anyways. What if i may ask is your dream car? I bet its like everyone elses. And i do have confidence, without confidence you got nothing and therefore your life is worthless (kinda like yourself).

posted by  car_crazy89

Originally Posted by Jay-G
you also live in florida, so therefore, you are stupid.

posted by  99integra

My dream car would be...well, i do not just have one-i actually dont have one straight up dream car. You obviously do NOT have confidence because you said that you would never be able to afford any of the "typical" dream cars, and you wanted something that you will be able to afford, a 40 yr old muscle car.Now, this shows a lack of confidence, in that you do not believe that you will be successful in life.

99integra, are you really jsut mad because you drive a 99 integra, not even an ITR, hahahahah.Your car sucks ass also.

posted by  Jay-G

If that ITR ment Type-R than yeah I did have one but I sold it. Now how did my car "suck ass" as you say :ticking:

posted by  99integra

y would you sell an ITR to keep your integra GS or whatever slower than molasses version you have.

posted by  Jay-G

Even if i could afford a brand new Ferrari or something like it i probably wouldnt do it. I'm not into the newer cars as much as i am into the older muscle cars, and plus, all rich people own Ferraris, Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, ect so why would i want to. I dont mean i wont be successful, i just doubt i'll be successful enough to own a $500,000+ dollar car. I'll stick with the 'cheaper' stuff :mrgreen:

posted by  car_crazy89

I HAD a ITR, I didn't say I had another one :banghead:

posted by  99integra

You know your giving Jay-G what he wants- attention - I know its very hard, but try to ignore his idiotic responses and postings :laughing:
But back to the subject at hand, I personally like the new Charger as a car, but the name does not suit it well. I think a different name would be better. I mean if you look at it, its only a sedan version of the Magnum...
And this new craze of car companies redo-ing the old cars is getting really old, :sleep: the mustang, pt cruiser, charger, soon to be challenger, the thunderbird, etc. The companies are trying to recreate something that happened almost 40 years ago, and theyre just making money off of it. I think it would really benfit them if the used a little bit of something called CREATIVITY, Rather than newer verisons of the classics that are really pieces of crap compared to the origionals :2cents:

posted by  Pinstriper38

And the original Charger was simply a fastback version of the Coronet sedan. Your point is? And the styling of the Charger is considerably different than the Magnum (they share pretty much no bodylines)

http://alw7sh.net/gded/dodge-charger-srt8-2.jpg
http://mx.news1.yimg.com/mx.img2.yahoo.com/espanol/autos/magnum1-385.jpg

the magnum had higher headlights, laid back into the body, with e rearward slant to the whole nose. And straight body sides (like the 300). the Charger has a forward slant to the nose, smaller, smoother grillework, smaller headlights under plaxi, and completely different body sides...

Sorry, but the newer versions are better cars in every respect. They outperform the opriginals in every category, from accelleration to top speed, to handling, to fuel economy, to braking, to emissions, with build quality and ergonomics the originals could never hope to match. I've spent way too many years with the older cars ('72 Charger, 3 '70 Mustangs, amongst a host of other '50s, '60s, and '70s cars)

The new cars are evolutions of the old cars, not recreations. In every case, they are what the cars would have been in continuous production (the Mustang actually has been in continuous production and routinely goes back to it's roots for continuity, while constantly being better than what came before it).

Cars like the PT don't reproduce ANY particular car, but draw on fun styling, not just from days gone by but from CURRENT customizing trends. And I DARE you to come to my house and point out how my PT is a piece of crap, not just by itself, but in comparisons to, say, any '30s sedan it's styling reminds you of.

posted by  ChrisV

Jay-G, can't you grasp that NO ONE likes you here? Why don't you just leave if all you are going to do is disagree and tell everyone that they "suck ass". What kind of car do you drive :laughing:? You have no purpose in this forum so just leave. I wish I could see you 30 years from now, living in you mom's basement wishing that you weren't such a jerk-off all your life and got fired from every job you ever had. :fu: :screwy:

posted by  TurboLag

It's not too bad I think. I'd prefer if it were a coupe, but a 4-door sedan is a lot more profitable. I'm not sure if anyone said this already, but the coupe market has passed. More 4-doors are being chosen over 2-doors, and the market is getting smaller. DaimlerChrysler, however, promises a Mustang-fighter named Challenger before the end of the decade. It will be a rear-drive coupe with a Hemi.

posted by  moostang104314

Dude Alex your sig is hella huge :umh:

posted by  99integra

Yeah, I nixed the STi

posted by  TurboLag

lol ass clown, i love it

posted by  Accord_Man

i think the new charger sucks. nothing was carried over but the hemi like some of you said. all dodge do was make an ugly 4 door sedan and slapped the charger name on it and expected us to buy it like crazy. it reminds me of the imposter minis commercial

posted by  72firebird

I agree, it looks alright, but dosent have that "GO BUY ME" styling that the new Mustang has. It would have been AWESOME if they would have brought back some of the elements from the late 60s and early 70s Chargers. Plus its a 4 door :screwy:

Is this market so based on sedans that they hade to make the Charger a ungodly sedan?

posted by  99integra

I guess so. Even Toyota and Nissan are advertising their sedans as "sporty" and "race bred".

all i have to say from reading that queer jay-gs posts is man shut up and go ask mommy if you can go ride your bicycle somewhere cause i think youve been spending way too much time on the computer when you probably cant drive let alone drive your own car or even yet drive good. by the way this was your moms head when i got behind her last night to give her what she wanted, a lil lovin :banghead:

posted by  72firebird

I like the SE-R and the new Altima SE-R, that is hella sweet. :hi:

posted by  99integra

Can't wait to hear his comeback for that one :roll:

posted by  99integra

It'll probably be something like, "Well you suck ass just like American cars, unless maybe your Jap, they are the best/most reliable."

posted by  car_crazy89

Yeah, this should be a fun one to watch.

I pitty da foo who talk about Jay-gs momma like dat! :ticking:

:orglaugh:

lol. imports suck. i almost get run over everyday trying to get on the freeway in my dads 87 honda accord 2 dr. it does like 0-60 in 20 secconds lol. and 40-65 in like 9. where as my firebird does 0-60 in 5 flat and 0-140 in 10

posted by  72firebird

What do you have in that Firechicken? :drool:

chevy 350/350. its probably only got like 360 hp/ 400 tq but it gets me from point a to point b :mrgreen:

posted by  72firebird

Haha Firechicken. I like Firebirds, wish my dad kept his. Loved the engine in it, i could never afford to drive it now though lol. Good 'ol Big engines :hi:

posted by  car_crazy89

tell me about it lol. it gets an amazing 12 mpg on the freeway lol

posted by  72firebird

Well the one my dad had was a 1975 with a 427 in it (got the car in boxes).

posted by  car_crazy89

Theyre pretty quick cars. I remember my friend had a 1970 Ford Torino GT in highschool with the 351 Cleaveland and quench chamber heads on it. All stock. The thing just looked like a piece of shit, it had one brown door, and an orange hood, and the rest of it was that ugly pea green color with rust under the wheel wells and some studded snow tires on the rear. Anyway, we were out one night with some friends driving around in the car, and a guy in a 1972 Firebird Formula pulls up next to us at a light. So he went for it and our car was throwing sparks from the rear because of those studded snow tires and still smoking the tires. We bea him still though, even with four of us in the car :laughing:

not a big fan of the year. im more of a 67-68 and 70-74 firebird guy myself. but i like that 427. i was thinking of eventualy putting one of those motown aluminum 427 sbc engines in it

posted by  72firebird

How about a 428 out of a 1968? :mrgreen:

It was horrible mileage (doesnt help that Firebirds are heavy pigs), but the car could not be driven in the winter cause she'd backfire and lose traction alot. I like your car, i want to find an older Firebird/Trans AM ('67-'78).

posted by  car_crazy89

:ticking: Hmmm, apparently you haven't driven an Integra Type-R :hi:

posted by  99integra

I dont think he wants to :laughing: He should though, theyre fun, fast little bastards.

lol yea driving my bird in the winter is hard. making turns from stops it tends to go sideways. even in the summer. i got sideways around this corner and almost hit a honda. while my back end almost hit the curb on my side of the road, and i swung it back around and my back end was fishing all the way down the street. but those lil hondas are fun for e braking, plus i dont care if i wreck a honda

posted by  72firebird

So are the SE-R's, gotta love that hum of the 2.5 liter:hi:

posted by  99integra

lol i prefer the roar of my 5.7 over any 2.5

posted by  72firebird

What you should do is either do is run it off the headers or put glass packs on it :hi:

posted by  99integra

Ive heard an Accord running off headers. It sounded pretty cool.

Yep, me too :laughing: You just dont get that awesome sound from a 4 banger.

i got full length headers then the pipes go straight, then into the mufflers which are at about the rear end. and i dont have any tips i just left the mufflers infront of the rear end. but eventualy after i drop the new engine im gonna have side pipes with the tip coming out infront of the rear wheels like you see on some challenger rts and tas

posted by  72firebird

Depending if it was a 4 cylinder I would expect it to sound like an angry bee :laughing:

posted by  99integra

It was 2002 VTEC V6.

That's pretty sweet, screw the mufflers and just weld tubing to the headers :laughing:

posted by  99integra

i dont mind the whirr of those honda v8s running at 15000 rpms

posted by  72firebird

It prolly sounded a little throatier then, can't compare it to a V8 though :smoke:

posted by  99integra

lol i would say screw the mufflers but then its be too loud. i drove it for a month with only the headers. i got pulled over twice for speeding that month. ended up only getting a warning and a fix it ticket though

posted by  72firebird

Make it sound like a stock car, screw the po-po or one-time :laughing:

posted by  99integra

oh yea and since you got the picture of the sti, i bet youll get a kick out of this. my friends (there twins) in my automatic tranny class just bought a 69 beetle. and they just got done shoving a turbo sti motor in it the also have a mgb with a bored out 302 in it

posted by  72firebird

Holy crap!, Its funny also because I too have a 69 Beetle. Only got one pic of it though sadly.

posted by  99integra

its cool as hell though cause a beetle with a pumped up original motor with like around 150 hp will do wheelies under hard acceleration with good rubber. his has 300 hp :mrgreen:

posted by  72firebird

thats like shoving a hemi in a dart or a copo 427 in a monza lol

posted by  72firebird

Lol, that would actually be cool to see :hi:

posted by  99integra

http://www.motortrend.com/motor/mt_mag_cover.jpg nOW TELL me that the charger doesnt look good and the front end isnt aggresive.

posted by  Enthusiast

alright. the charger doesnt look good. and the front end isnt agressive. and ooooo big deal the gay 4 door chargers ahead of the mustang with its 40+ hp advantage. whod of figured that? ford stuck with there heritage and made something better, dodge just took a 4 door threw a hemi in it and slapped charger on the side.

posted by  72firebird

really, they probably put the charger ahead of the mustang b/c that's the way they were positioned in the movie "bullitt"...

posted by  dodger65

Yah there only posituioned like that because of the movie. the mustangs faster anyways. and that charger has a 50 hp advantage buddie. You know im all into the classic muscle cars and stuff, i own one myself, and i do think the 05 mustang looks good. But making a brand new xcar that looks like one from 67 just doesnt seem smart. When the 05 mustang gets old. Whats ford gonna do? They gonna redesign the 2012 or whatever mustang to look like the week ass mustang IIs? They gonna randomly redesign it and go from retro to modern again? or is the mustang gonna look like that for the rest of its life? Think about the Volkwagen New Bettle its been out since 98 not a redesign yet becauser the cant it wont be a "New Beetle" if they redesign it. I really dont think DaimlerChrysler gives a damn about what you think anyways because your probably not their target demographic.If you would actually go drive one and stop being so closed minded just because its a four door ou may be impressed. The STis a four door and its one of the fastest damn thing ive everdriven. And its fun because i can put four people in it comfortably and scare the piss out of all of them.

posted by  Enthusiast

is that sarcasm? :doh:

posted by  dodger65

What part? the buddie part? Yah

posted by  Enthusiast

It DOESNT look good and the front ISNT aggresive. Just looks like a new Dodge to me. Big grill, four doors, over sized engine.

Oh and you are trying to tell em the front of a 69 charger was aggresive? a big rectangle with vertical slots in it. Oh yah theres aggresive for yah.

posted by  Enthusiast

It looked much more aggresive than the Charger of today.

oh yea and enthusiest, a pinto isnt a muscle car. and also of course im not dodges demographic. im not an idiot thats gonna pay that amount of money for a four door pos. and oooo i know wrx is a 4 door but its also a 2 door smarty. and if thats the fastest thing youve ever driven thats sad. try saying something once you learn to drive over 160 :fu:

posted by  72firebird

and if you wanna get technical retard. the charger has 45 hp on the mustang. and the charger rt has 50-55 hp. and the point is chargers where never 4 doors. and its a slap in the face to any dodge fan that they made it a 4 door. that would be like them making a 4 door camaro or firebird or mustang. its just dumb

posted by  72firebird

I'd say that looks pretty aggressive compared to most cars

http://www.aacint.com/images/members/1969-charger.jpg

Then theres this (reminds me of a dog :ohcrap: )

http://www.autointell-news.com/News-2005/Jan-2005/Jan-2005-2/Dodge-Charger- f-115.jpg

posted by  car_crazy89

They actually did make a 4 door Mustang :ohcrap: The Mustang II Ghia. With its 140hp 302 V8 :banghead:

?????????????????? :screwy: :doh:

posted by  dodger65

I swaer I saw a 4 door Mustang one time...maybe I was daydreaming :ohcrap: :oops:

The Charger was always a big car, It very easily could have been a 4 door in the 60s. But it wouldnt have been as appealing to the "hot-rodder" generation. So when dodge brought it back they brought it back as a BIG car. It just has more doors. In a way, it is living up to its name, and in a different way it isn't. The Challenger was a mid-sized car, and IF they bring that back too I guarantee it won't be a 4 door.

posted by  TurboLag

Since when was the Charger a 4-door? They already have the 300C. What a dumb marketing move.

posted by  fedroger

Hey I do want to get technical. Go back and read my post i said THAT charger. That charger is the R/t and it has a 50 hp advantage. And the wrx may be a 2 door but thwe sti isnt. Subaru doesnt make a 2 door sti. Smart guy. Oh and ive done a 160 on a higly modified GSX-R 750. I said the STi was one of the fastest things ive driven not FASTEST. So you want to argue about anything else.

posted by  Enthusiast

yea. there was the sti 22b that never came to america. and it was a 2 door. also ive done 180 on a bike. but bikes are different. im talking bout four wheel speed. cars and bikes are a lot different especialy at those speeds.

posted by  72firebird

and it must have been an older 750 cause if you were on a newer 750 that was modified you could go closer to 180. unless you just got scared and let off. or ran out of road.

posted by  72firebird

No it was brand new. It had 34 miles on it. My brother won it in a sweepstakes from smokeless tobacco. From the factory the bike was a rqace bike. The driver could never get it tuned just to his specifications so they gave it away in a drawing. I didnt run out of road i ran out of drag strip.

posted by  Enthusiast

well ill give you props for being responsible and doing it at the strip. but driving like that on public roads is completely different when your traveling a mile per seccond and faster

posted by  72firebird

a mile per second would be 60 miles a minute so likie 360mph. Now i no for a fact you dont have a car that will do a mile persecond.

posted by  Enthusiast

i was talking about the bike and my math was ****ed up. 180 mph divided by 60 is 30 30 divided by 60 is .5 so its half a mile per seccond. i dont like using calculators

posted by  72firebird

Oh its cool. Don't worry about it. I was just being a smart ass.

posted by  Enthusiast

check out the production number threads. its actualy kinda amazing how much mustangs were sold

posted by  72firebird

Your Message