what size and company exhaust system

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  what size and company exhaust system

I have a 383 stroker mild built and i was wondering what size exhaust i should run and what company .... can i get some suggestions, i have heard i should run 3in exaust .... ??

posted by  OneSick383

Run it off the headers :hi:. 3 is to small, try 4 :smoke:

posted by  99integra

Thats what i want to do with my truck while working on it (take off exhaust and run it with just headers) lol. Piss the neighbours right off when running it :mrgreen:

posted by  car_crazy89

Thats what I do with my Mustang :smoke:

posted by  99integra

Well i dont know what it'll sound like whenever i finally get it running (havent done anything with it yet), 350 sbc that hasnt run in 1.5-2 years. I guess we'll see lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

i'm sure it'll sound awesome with whatever you put on it. do you want it loud, rumbly, growly? what are you going for?

posted by  carls47807

Valve events please? Peak power?

Do you get Pacemaker there?

posted by  Wally

im sure you have heard to use a 3 inch exhaust for a few reasons. first off 2 1/2 is just too small for a 350 in my opinion. and 4 inch (while it would sound awesome) can get a lil hard to getted routed underneath. most cars just dont have a lot of clearence for exhaust pipes. so thats why most people say go with the 3 inch, itll sound good yet isnt so big to where you cant snake the pipe around underneath to get it where you want

posted by  72firebird

by the way, what car is it going into?

posted by  72firebird

trick flow said that 2-1/2" should be fine for the 500hp 400 i'm currently building...

posted by  dodger65

Go with Flowmaster Super 40s :thumbs: Thats what I use on my Mustang. Or just run it off headers.

posted by  FordFromHell351

that's what we're using on the 400. how do they sound compared to regular 40's? i've got those on the dodge and the truck...

posted by  dodger65

They sound great. A little louder and deeper sounding. Theyre also supposed to give 5-10 more horsepower than the 40s depending on your application.

posted by  FordFromHell351

I dunno about a 4 inch. Might not be enough back pressure.

posted by  TurboLag

...that's kinda what i think about the 3", personally. when i worked at a muffler shop, we had all kinds of hill-rods coming in, wanting 3" dual exhaust on their stock 350's... :screwy: :screwy:

posted by  dodger65

Yeah my dad ran 2" on his 69 z28, he said all the people who thought they were gung-ho got 4" for their 350s. But they never got enough back pressure. You need a LOT of CIs for 4".

posted by  TurboLag

2 1/2 Is just fine. but like i said in my opinion. 3 inch is just a lil bit louder and the back pressure doesnt drop much from a 2 1/2. just 4 inch is extreme. 2 1/2 is weak. so compromise and go in the middle. and when i say weak its my opinion and its reffering to sound. but 2 1/2 is fine, its just who wants to stay with stock? most cars came stock with 2 1/2.

posted by  72firebird

not to be argumentative, but what car came w/ stock 2-1/2" duals? (i'm honestly asking)

posted by  dodger65

i dont think it was till the mid to late 70s when they started coming with them. before that i think it was like 1 3/4 or 2 inch. it wasnt till exhaust technoligies started to take baby steps towards advancment.

posted by  72firebird

my bad i think it was 2 inch exhaust they started putting on them. yea but still if your pushing over 400 hp or close to it go with 2 1/2 or 3. nothing bigger

posted by  72firebird

He still hasn't posted cam specs, valve sizes, what heads, compression ratio, intake, carb'ed or efi, header style and primary size....there are a lot of variables here. You can build a 383 that will perform well with dual 2 1/4" pipes, or you can build one so extreme that a dual 3" system will be restrictive. Specifications are very important here.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

most likely its a store bought 383. so 2 1/2 or 3 inch should be fine

posted by  72firebird

Your Message