49 Chev resto

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  49 Chev resto

Hey folks. Just thought I'd ask a couple quick questions as I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of classic restorations and modifications. I recently bought a 1949 Chev 3/4 ton with the intent of restoring it. Just to let you know what I'm working with: At this point in time, it's 100% original, all emblems are still in tact and i can clearly see myself in the chrome front bumper :thumbs: . After 20-30 years of it sitting in the woods, i put a new battery in it, and low and behold, it still runs and drives, and all electrical still works beautifully. The only thing wrong with it is a missing tail light, 2 very small rust spots, there's one small dent on one of the rear fenders, the upholstry has been ripped up, and the brake fluid is low :laughing: . I plan on replacing most of the little things like the mirrors, cigarrette lighter, head and tail lights, upholstry, etc etc...seeing as the weather has gotten to them just enough to make them not worth restoring, when i could just spend a few bucks here and there to get new parts.

That being said, I'm completely stumped as to where i should start with this project as it is my first attempt at a full blown resto. That's where you seasoned folks come in. I plan on restoring the body and interior to their original condition(with the exception of colors and certain fabrics). However, i want to change the drivetrain and all that jazz over to something significantly more powerful and lower it...basically, make this thing a sleek classic, with a powerful modern touch. Where do I start? Thanks for any help.

posted by  49chev

Sounds like you got a pretty nice truck. :thumbs: As to your question of where to start, that all depends on how you plan to go about it……Do you have other transportation?....Do you have all the money now to get it done?.......Do you have the room, tools, knowledge to work on it?

I’m going on the assumption that “yes” is the answer to all the above questions (minus the money part, that’s not a biggie, but will make it take longer). If the plan is a complete front to back overhaul, without question you should strip off everything that you will not use or plan to repair/replace. As you do this, take lots of notes, label everything, and take pictures and generally document what you did. Trust me a few weeks or months can take its toll on your memory (something that seemed very simple to remove, can be impossible to put back on if you didn’t take notes). Once you have everything apart, closely examine what you have, list the parts you will need, and figure out where you are going. Order the parts and bolt everything back together.

I oversimplified it, but I think you get the idea. It will seem like less of a daunting task if you break everything down into stages you can complete in a day or two. Set a goal like “today I’m gonna tear off the front end sheet metal”. Also take your time and ask lots of questions and remember “this is fun”. If you get too frustrated, stop and come back to it in a day or two.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :thumbs:

posted by  corbett_auto

if you have a all original, numbers matching, car or truck that old don't touch it. find some orginal parts not replicas to replace what missing or broken and sell to a collector.$$$

posted by  airmanUSN

The best thing to do is build it the way you want it. The only reason to deviate from that is if it is purely for profit (and even then for that year a custom would bring more $). There's nothing too rare about your truck other than it being a 3/4 ton. So, fix it up the way you want it, you can always go back to original later. And don't worry about finding parts, they make just about everything for that truck new, from trim to sheetmetal. You could almost build one from scratch out of new parts.

posted by  corbett_auto

I was considering going the "all original" route like airman suggested, but i'm a muscle car freak at heart...so i'm leaning more in that direction. You have to agree, there's nothing better than a classic vehicle spanking a rice-burner on the street...not to mention the classics just look better. I probably won't start until i've started my new job, which will probably be in the fall or early winter. Thanks for all your help guys, and hopefully i'll be able to post some pictures as i go along.

posted by  49chev

yea there is nothing better than that. but just one thing that sucks is if you have a stock suspension the ricers usualy catch up in the corners. damn new technology. but yea basicly do what you want to it. but if you can keep most of the original parts you dont use. there worth something to someone, or just to keep

posted by  72firebird

Good point....if you don't plan to go back original, you can sell them on ebay to help pay for everything you need. :thumbs:

posted by  corbett_auto

i should be able to afford most of what i need without having to sacrifice original parts. i'll probably keep all the things i don't use. i collect everything...lol. any particular company you guys would go with when it comes to replica parts? i've been looking at Classic Industries' OER parts catalog for GM and Chev...by the looks of it, they have some great stuff and fairly good prices. any other suggestions?

posted by  49chev

dynacorn.com is a good place for body parts and all that. their also the ones that have started to make 69 camaro convt. unibodies

posted by  72firebird

Your Message