Hey heres my muscle...

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Hey heres my muscle...

I just introduced myself so i figured i would post my car. If you havnt read my post about wut i got under the hood its a 307 V8 2 berrel small block with a newly rebuilt tranny. Its a good little hotrod. defenetly a head turner....but im not sure if its for the right reasons :wink2:.http://img330.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mycar5ex.jpg

posted by  sandlercd_22

Not bad :thumbs: !

posted by  corbett_auto

looks like a 69-73 nova. not the best looking car, and not the strongest power plant. but it is a nice car anyways, and it has tons of potential there. looks like a pretty easy project to make it a ground pounder. good job. keep working on it and keep us posted :thumbs:

posted by  72firebird

Thanks. The only mods we have done is add a new bumper and grill and take out the air conditioner and plug up the smog pump system.And for the fact that we only payed 400$ for it and where muscle cars are going i thought it was a good buy seeing that the prices are sky high.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Yea that is a good buy. I got my car for pretty cheap too. not as cheap as yours but 1300 is still cheap for a firebird like mine and it did run when i bought it before i started swapping things in and out

posted by  72firebird

Yeh and plus i know firebirds are worth alot more than a Nova. When we got it the car ran good but the trans was in need of rebuilding because it couldnt shift into high gear. And after a few test drives reverse went out so we got a new tranny and a bumper and grill from our local slavage yard. Its my first car and ive always dreamed of owning a 70s muscle car. The only detail i dont like to share is that it has.......4.........doors.... :oops: .

posted by  sandlercd_22

lol 4 door novas. deffinatly not the best looking car. but either way its a nova. and would be alot easier to shuttle your friends around then having to let a seat forward for them to get in.

posted by  72firebird

Could always take a cheap way out and shave the handles and weld the doors closed (the back ones) so there no seems lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

id look cleaner but still have the ugly 4 door look. but shove a 454 in that thing and start taking people out with it. theyll cry in there hondas and whine out "i got beat by a 4 door beater!"

posted by  72firebird

I think your the 50th person thats told me i should dukes of hazzard my back doors. I would do that if i could get bucket seats for it. Ha i hate import cars. Rice burners must die!

posted by  sandlercd_22

I was going to respect you for working with a unique classic muscle car until this post.

Just another closed minded redneck. Like we need more closed minded, ignorant fools on this board. :banghead:

I own classic American cars. I've built serious domestic musclecars. I've put domestic engines into imported cars (from both Japan and Europe). I've built 500-600 hp daily driver big block cars, and plan on building more.

And at the same time I'm an SCCA member, and have owned and raced in road race and autocross many fun Japanese and European cars. Hating on imports shows you to be small minded and unable to see the bigger picture. probably have opinions formed by listening to other ignorant gearheads and by thinking all Import owners are like the FnF ricer clowns.

Why does every teenager find it so important to hate on things that aren't their current favorites? Is it really that hard as an automotive enthusiast to actually appreciate all cars, even if you have favorites that you prefer?

posted by  ChrisV

hes only 17. we need to remember kids and young adults arent the most open minded people. there stubborn and well just kids. lets just say they dont know any better and save our breathe and leave it at that.

posted by  72firebird

Saving our breath reinforces that behavior. When I was 17, I had been racing cars in the SCCA for a year, and had already experienced domestic muscle, European sports cars, street rods, and Japanese sport coupes.

He's got a fun car he can work on, but he needs to keep an open mind. And maybe if we catch him now, he can become a well rounded enthusiast and a valuable, knowledgeable member of the automotive community.

posted by  ChrisV

yea thats true. itd be nice to save him before c4 drags him all the way into the dark side

posted by  72firebird

Most of the reasons why i got my opinion on those cars is the fact that they are so over used and i see them EVERYWHERE. I like to be unique and yeh i know that japanese imports are probobly the best cars for uniqueness from the body kits and graphics you can add but i meen cmon all i see today is honda civics that have cheap ass walmart spinners and exhaust attachments that look like $**t. Im not saying my car doesnt, it is a beater. I also dont like them for the induced horse power. Nitro and all that. I like pure muscle. Having a motor thta doesnt need all those Nos systems. I understand that its the new age way to up the power in your cars. But between FnF and FnF2 and all these wannabes on the street, Im frankly sick of it. I only watch FnF for the charger at the end. Its almost like people dont think muscle cars exist and that theyre obsolite. I could take alot of those import cars out there. I could prolly lose to alot of them too. I grew up around asphalt stock car racing and watched my stepdad race in his chevy malibu for around 3 years. He was my influence in becoming a mechanic. I dont hate all import cars. I like the BMWs and the shelby mustangs such as the one from gone in 60 seconds. Im sorry if i offended anyone. There are some acceptions on some import cars. But its like thats all there is. NFSU is a awsome game but all u can get is imports. Like as if there isnt any muscle in the world these days. I understand theyre old but i meen cmon. I accually wanted to go out and buy a decent looking honda or mitsubishi so i could learn all feilds of wut a mechanic needs to know. Sorry for offending anyone. I wont be so cocky anymore. :oops: :oops: :oops: P.S. I might live in a redneck state (oklahoma) but i was born with the yankees (minnesota).

posted by  sandlercd_22

Nothing wrong with being a "redneck"! Farmers are rednecks, so if you eat almost anything grown, you outta thank a redneck, 99% sure one grew it. As far as riceburners, I like kickin their ass in my Classic American car. Just my honest opinion.

posted by  68 Coop

Hey, just don't want to see another domestic muscle lover become a one diminsional enthusaist. Like I've said before, I've had a lot of BOTH. And like you like beating Japanese sport coupes with American muscle, I loved beating the typical gearhead with a jacked up Nova (sorry) with my ported, Holley 4 bbl equipped Mazda RX3...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/RX3.jpg

That car ran 13s in the quarter and was a successful slalom racer back in the early '80s, so it was faster than the average musclecar (and pretty much all the musclecar wannabes) in more than one area.

You have to remember that when I was in school, there were more poseur musclecars than anything else, guys with lower trim level cars from their muscle bretheren (like 307 powered Nova's instead of 350 or 396s) that had put slapper traction bars, glasspack exhausts, fat Cragars, and too severe a cam (so it would give that "lumpity lumpity," loping sound) that were actually SLOWER than stock. Top stock musclecars ran 14s and 13s, and you rarely saw the rare ones (like the Thunderbolt or SS454s) that ran 12s. Most of the guys on teh street ran 15s and 16s. So a 13 second import like mine could beat them at the track. And hell, even a 15 second import could beat many of them.

Domestics have gotten faster in stock form (they are faster now than they EVER were back in the heyday of the musclecar) but imports, even "slow" ones are respectable when it comes to competing with older muscle. And I daresay a 500 hp turbo Civic done with taste is every bit as valid a performance car as a supercharged big block Chevelle (and both cost good money to build)

Build the cars you like because you like them. Working on older cars is fun regardless of make or model. Just remember that it's not slow or bad simply because it isn't classic domestic muscle. It's all just forms of a hobby that's supposed to be fun.

Keep us posted on the updates to your car!

posted by  ChrisV

Ok an update. Thursday i was going home and i started the car and the motor squeeled like the belts were loose. So naturally, I went to a car show :thumbs: . Than when i got home i come to find that the waterpump berrings are going so me and my stepdad took his stock racing waterpump (just cools better than normal) and we started tearing apart the front end getting the belts off, taking out the fan and the old water pump. Than after the pump was in we come to find trying to remount the alternater that the mounting molds on the new waterpump didnt match the old...so we didnt end up getting finished till early yesterday afternoon.But we got it in and i got to work safely. im trying to figure out what else i can do. The only thing to benifet from speed is that we plugged the smog system. If i can il post pictures of the engine.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Build what you like, and don't knock another Mans car, or expect what follows. I have to be honest here, I will be 44 tomorrow, and I have NEVER owned an import car yet. My sister swears by them, but when I look at the trouble as her Mitsu has caused her, and the prices it cost to fix it, is just no comparison to my Mustang. I am not saying imports are bad cars, just not my cup o tea.

posted by  68 Coop

That my opinion. I would drive it but wouldnt own it. not my cup o tea eather.

posted by  sandlercd_22

:laughing: You wanna talk about a beater beating nice cars, I believe Ive told the story of my dads old green 1970 Ford Torino to you havent I?

posted by  SlipKnoT

GrRrRrRrRr....Fords......Lets just say that the torino from starsky and hutch is the only one i like. But i do think theyre good cars. Just not my cup o tea. And my stepdads a die hard chevy guy so he got me to being a chevy fanboy.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Why is it always so important to hate that which isn't your favorite? All cars are basically the same: a collection of steel, rubber, aluminum, glass, fabric... Mass produced comsumer products.

Blind brand loyalty is simply the sign of a weak mind.

Did a Ford car rape your dad's mom or something? (j/k!)

I love Chevy's, and have had a few, as well as built up many for customers. I love Dodges and Chryslers, too, and have owned a number of them. I've owqned a bunch of Fords and ford powered vehicles, and love them, too. Thre just aren't enough differences to hate on any of them, even if you have favorites.

And as for the one Ford you like, how does one of the slowest of Ford musclecars garner your respect, but not cars like the BOSS429 Mustang, earlier Torino Cobra, Fairlane Thunderbolt, or original GT40?

posted by  ChrisV

Have you ever even driven a Ford? Because if you havent, then you really have no room to talk...

posted by  SlipKnoT

Yeh i drove around in my friends 05 Mustang for a little bit.

posted by  sandlercd_22

So, what do you know about the '64 Falcon Sprint, or a '63 lightweight Galaxie, or the SVO Mustang of '85? How about the orignal or new GT40s? Or the '69 Torino Talledega? How about the '98-2000 SVT Contour?

:wink2:

posted by  ChrisV

Well, did you notice a difference between the Mustang and the new Chevrolets? GM products are always much looser and feel less solid than a Ford.

posted by  SlipKnoT

I did notice that the rear end did sway a bit around corners instead of leading through them. And all about the galaxie that i know of is that my uncle owned one.

posted by  sandlercd_22

I know ChrisV likes to bang his tom toms encouraging an open mind about brands, but just so he isn't a voice in the wilderness, I too believe that every car has merit no matter how little.

This preoccupation with "muscle cars" is painful. Why is forced induction considered cheating? Because a car is made in Japan doesn't mean it's inferior, in fact if you were around in the seventies you would know they caused major headaches for the complacent US and European car manufacturers with reliability, economy and good power/weight.

posted by  Wally

Im just sick of seeing japanese imports. I guess ive seen to much of them. With F&F and all.

posted by  sandlercd_22

There is nothing wrong with variety and diversity :wink2:

posted by  99integra

i would also rather have a old muscle car than an import. but i will say that i have owned them and would own another if the price was right. i would say if i had to own another it would be a 92 eagle talon tsi, but not all riced out

posted by  glagon1979

Spoken like a true patriot. I guess the Iraqis and Afghanis feel the same about US troops.

posted by  Wally

Its not country patriotism its the fact that im a muscle car guy. Its like supporting a football team that you know may suck in some ways but you still love them more than any other team. Thats all im saying.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Nice car! :thumbs:

posted by  Vectis Yanks

Thanks. I might be investing in another one. AND IM ONLY 17!

posted by  sandlercd_22

Where are you getting all this money?

posted by  jedimario

Aah so you are a romantic, not a xenophobe. I assume that would be "american" muscle? The same american muscle that became extinct because the japanese recognised that people wanted an economical, reliable, technological, consistent level of quality, value for money vehicle?

Being around at the time (late sixties/early seventies), in hindsight I can say that most cars outside of japan must have been built on a Monday (the other four days preparing for the weekend bbq) and the orchards must have been flat out keeping up a supply of lemons.

posted by  Wally

Maybe so, but the reason Americans wanted those Japanese cars was because of the energy crisis, not because they wanted small weak cars...

posted by  jedimario

I get the money from Mcdonalds and my parents help too. I might be buying a 1975 2 dr nova from a salvage yard. wich oddly was the same car i took the bumper and grill off of wich is now on my car. :laughing: .

posted by  sandlercd_22

The oil crisis was just a trigger, the rest is history. The public have continued to cast their vote and Japan is now the largest maker in the world and those "weak" cars don't seem to be troubled hammering those "muscle" cars.

posted by  Wally

They called your name Bav :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Well nobody made muscle cars after the energy crisis to even give them a chance, did they?

posted by  jedimario

Yeh i understand now first hand at what it was like back than. Now that gas is pushing 3$ a gallon i might need to.... :( .....Buy a car that gets better gas milage. I have told everyone who asks if i like my car (cause its my first) and i always say "ima keep it till i die" but with gas this way i might need to sell or trade it for a....*shudder*....Honda... :ohcrap: :puke:

posted by  sandlercd_22

...can't be a '75, that was when they changed the design... 73's and 74's are identical, though...

posted by  dodger65

Its a 75. it looks the same except for the bumper and the rear end is a bit higher. atleast thats what the salvage yard guy told me it was.

posted by  sandlercd_22

1975 Nova:

http://www.novaresource.org/gallery4/75robh0.jpg
http://www.novaresource.org/gallery4/75kenk0.jpg

1973/74 Nova:

http://www.novaresource.org/gallery3/74seanm0.jpg
http://www.novaresource.org/gallery3/74denism0.jpg

posted by  car_crazy89

I stand corrected.

posted by  sandlercd_22

I will admit that when I first got into cars (mainly when I got my 76 Monte Carlo that I'll take to the grave :mrgreen: ), that I was more close minded about new cars and imports. I disliked them all through high school and my first year and a half through college. I eventually started to come around. When I first started going to car shows, I saw brand new cars that had literally nothing done to them and was like "wtf? why is that car even here?" Today, I am a member of the Portland Grand Prix Club (PDXCGP (http://pdxcgp.com)), which is mostly made up of 90's and newer Pontiac Grand Prix's and 2000-newer Chevy Monte Carlo's. I am still a little closed minded about imports, however I am starting to come around a little. It just comes down to personal tastes. I will respect an import, "domestic rice" and new cars if it is done tastefully.

I know what it is like to be shunned by an automotive community. The 1973-1977 GM A-bodies (i.e. Monte Carlo, Chevelle, El Camino, Can Am, Grand Am, Grand Prix, Century, Regal, Cutlass) are still "shunned," but strangely enough were some of the best selling and most popular cars back in the day. In 1976, the Chevy Monte Carlo broke its own sales record when it sold 353,272 cars (411,033 in 1977). In 1977, the Oldsmobile Cutlass was the best selling car in America, selling more than 630,000 cars. Yet, they are reguarded as being too heavy for performance and "not popular" enough to make reproduction parts for.

posted by  76MonteMan

I plan to take my car to the grave. Even if its got 4drs. I dont care. Ive got alot of memories even at this point and time with this car and i could never watch it roll away with somone else at the wheel. It keeps me alive on the road as long as i keep it on the road.

posted by  sandlercd_22

While going to college I worked at the local Chevrolet dealer in the get/ready department. That Nova is around the 73-75 era. There were options for it to have the 454, automatic trans only. Actually saw a couple, at the time it didn't make sense to have such a large engine in such a small car, but a lot of the old folks bought them. The Nova Police cars came with the 350 stock, and the 454 was an option.

posted by  radioman2003

im not racist toward any certain car i hate working on all the crap that people don't take care of, which covers every make and model under the sun. :mrgreen:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message