71' ford mustang :)

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  71' ford mustang :)

so im lookin at this 71' mustang that i might get its got a 327 or 351 in it he said and automatic tranny...interior is decent...body is perfect except for the aspect that it needs a little body work done on the rear fender...would u pay 2k to walk off the lot with it? opinions?

or 1968(mite b 65) mustang with just a little 6 banger in it PERFECT body shape and primer gray ready for paint(2k also) opinions on what 2 get?

~dont know mileage on car(will edit when i do)~

posted by  hoopmasta126

You got any pics? Looks wise i'd go for the 60's Mustang but i'd probably choose the '71 Mustang cause its V8 and they also arent that bad looking. The mileage might help with getting a better answer, without it we can only go by opinions.

posted by  car_crazy89

I doubt highly it has a 327 in it, since that's a Chebbie engine. I paid 1890 for my car, and it's in need, but it was bought as a project car, so 2k for this one don't sound bad. As long as it's a 351, not a 327 :mrgreen:.

posted by  68 Coop

well what was the ford engine of the 327? newayz i dont got ne pics but im thinkin im going to go with the 68 just b/c the body is perfect condition...but the 71 is a mach1 and i i blieve it is a 301 or 351 not sure peeps thx for opinions tho

posted by  hoopmasta126

The closest thing to a 327 would be a stroked 302, which would bore it to a 331, and it would probably kick the 327's butt :thumbs:.

posted by  68 Coop

Well it'd either be this:
http://prophete.turboblog.fr/photos/uncategorized/ford_mustang_mach_1_1971_ rot_l.jpg

Or This:
http://nzmustang.com/Buysell/Keyzer1.jpg

hard to choose really, both are really nice cars (even with a 6 cylinder in the 60's Mustang). Your probably gonna have to go by what you like better.

posted by  car_crazy89

well only thing is i dont like the paint job on the 71' or i would get it...its like dark red in front and fades in2 black at the back end

posted by  hoopmasta126

Well paint is just paint, dont let it stop you from buying it. If it needs some work then you can always get it repainted later on anyways. I'd rather get something i liked everything about (except something minor like paint) then something you werent too sure of.

posted by  car_crazy89

This is TOTALLY biased, but I would go with the 68. Way better lookin in MY book, but like I said, I'm partial to the 68 Coupe's.

posted by  68 Coop

only reason i like the 71 is the 351 in it lol...if the 68 has a 351 in it id take it over the 71 ne day...but i could always turbo the v6 if i can find one for it :)

posted by  hoopmasta126

It'd probably just be cheaper to get an old 289 or 302 and swap it into the '68 Mustang rather then buy a turbo and everything.

posted by  car_crazy89

What's the price difference, if any, on the 2??? The I6 could be made into a screamer, with a 2bbl and Header.

posted by  68 Coop

Much easier, cheaper, and more power potential out of a V-8. So if I understand correctly, here is the situation------you like the 71 b/c of the 351 but not the paint, you like the style of the 68 but hate the idea of an I6---Is that right? Not alot of thought should go into that decision----get the 68 and get a 302 or 351 and stick in it---all problems solved....or buy both, swap the motors and then sell the 71----LOL :thumbs:

posted by  corbett_auto

Yeah, that last is really the best. the 68 would cost nothing to convert to a V8, since all sorts of factory mounts are available, and you could bolt in a late model used 5.0 and transmission for under a grand total (including mounts and exhaust).

posted by  ChrisV

like i said in my welcome post i dont know ALOT about cars so dropping in a motor might be a problem for me what does a 351 go for tho?

posted by  hoopmasta126

The 327 V8 was a Chevy engine. So I doubt it has one in it unless some complete dumbass decided to do a engine swap like that. It probably has a 302 or a 351 Cleaveland.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Okay, well looking around i found that the '71 Mustang (if its a Mach 1) will probably have a 351.

"The most common Mach 1 powerplants from 1971–’73 were the 351C-2V and 4V engines"

posted by  car_crazy89

how hard is it for some1 who doesnt have alot of engine experience to drop a motor in?

posted by  hoopmasta126

Uhhhh....pretty damn hard :laughing:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Well, IMHO, you need some experience, but if you can read, and have the right tools, "YOU CAN DO IT"! It's been my finding, that the fear of doing it, is more stress than actually doing the job. Get some shop manuals for your car, read them, then make the decision. TOOLS AND KNOWLEDGE are key to any job.

posted by  68 Coop

Your Message