Chevelle Help

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Chevelle Help

I just bouht a 1971 chevelle 396. The motor is not matching with the car, i was told its a stock 396 with headers

my first question is whats the guessed torque and hp for a 396 around that area. ill find out the bluck numbere if some one told me were to look

Problem 2 the rear tires are rather larg just fits into the stock fenders but one of the tires is scraping when you hit a bump htw old owner said the air shock is low is that the problem or is the fram bent or somthing like that. the car steers very strait but i dont know to much about muscle cars.

thank you for your time scotty.

posted by  Scotty's Chev

i dont know where the casting #'s are for a big block. on a small block they are behind the driver side head closest to the fire wall. the # should start with a 3. thats really all i know. hope it helps. for more info go to www.moretec.com.

posted by  glagon1979

I think they were made to make around 325-350HP, not sure what year yours is out of. Sounds like a pretty nice car.

posted by  car_crazy89

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/index.php?

this place may interest you

posted by  adamc44

I havnt done this myself but i herd its a good cheap way of getting your tires to fit. Its kinda ghetto but you know, with no money anything cheaper always helps. What you do is take old baseball bat that you dont use (no sense possibly ruining a good one). Than take that bat and stick it in the wheel well right up against the tire, You might need a buddy to do that part. Than put it in gear and slowly roll the car forward while rolling the bat through the well bending it ( if you got rusty fenders dont try this they dont bend very easily when rusted). This should make enough clearence to fit the wide tires.

posted by  sandlercd_22

errrr thats sooo ghetto....and could end up uneven...

posted by  dodgerforlife

I agree with you, but noone said its fool proof, and alot of people do it.

posted by  car_crazy89

I learned it from Monster Garage :wink2: .

posted by  sandlercd_22

Your Message