Upping my horspower

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Upping my horspower

I got a 307 2 berral carb v8 small block with a turbo tranny in it. I want to up the horsepower in the thing but i am low on cash and im sick of ppl leaving me in the dust. WHAT DO I DO?

posted by  sandlercd_22

how much do you mean by youre low on cash. HP isnt cheap

posted by  bigdaveangell

I make about 100$ every 2 weeks.

posted by  sandlercd_22

I would save up some money first

posted by  bigdaveangell

Well my friend said he had a 350 small block that hed sell me for 50 bucks. He just said it needed to be put together.Is that worth it?

posted by  sandlercd_22

Go get yourself a copy of this:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0931472245.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp- 500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

posted by  fudge

Thanks ill do that.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Switch to an EFi system.

posted by  Oomba

You know a 2 bbl has a fair amount of pressure drop (about 3" hg) and a single plane manifold isn't the best at flowing air/fuel either. I assume you have both? So a 4 bbl (approx 1.5" hg) with at least a dual plane manifold might be the quickest, easiest and cheapest first mod. You can also look at running a tad richer and advancing the timing accordingly.

A good set of plugs helps and if you don't have it already, a simple electronic dizzy will provide improvements.

A carby hat with a large snorkel to the front of the car can also bring some improvement.

So there you go, some simple mods that don't require big expenditure if you are prepared to hunt around the wreckers.

posted by  Wally

Dont forget better plug wires.

posted by  Oomba

Its got new racing plugs in it. The plug wires look new and i know they arnt original but im not sure how old they are.If i can get some batteries for my dig camera i can take pics of the engine and post em.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Yes it is..its as cheap as:
a type-r sticker
a fart can from advance auto
4 plastic spinners from advance auto
and a huge shitty wing on the back

thats how you beat the compedition the cheap way :thumbs:

Edit: spelling error

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

Considering that i dont own a car that would be compatible with any of that shit, it would be finda hard to attach a wing to my car and would be very stupid.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Plymouth Superbird :mrgreen:

posted by  Oomba

Now i already get called a bum enough i dont need to be called joe dirt on top of it.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Hey bitch Superbirds are hard to find

posted by  99integra

That doesnt change the fact that there was one in Joe Dirt. BITCH!

posted by  sandlercd_22

well, BITCHES! the car in joe dirt was a 69 daytona anyway... and don't even try to tell me they are the same car... :banghead:

posted by  dodger65

Close enough they both had a wing.

posted by  sandlercd_22

can i call your car a kingswood station wagon then, since they both have a 307?

posted by  dodger65

No because im talking about external similarities ur talking about internal. i can tell my car from a wagon. superbird n a daytona look similar.

posted by  sandlercd_22

m'kay, i'll call it a buick apollo, then :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

touche....

posted by  sandlercd_22

take the 2bbl carb and intake off and put a 600cfm carb and an edelbrock performer intake on it. the 307 can be a stout engine with the right combo

posted by  glagon1979

My friend said hed sell me a 350 with a holley carb on it for 100$ and he would install it. Good deal?

posted by  sandlercd_22

check the casting #'s (even if it's a "good" friend) and make sure it's not a 305 first... otherwise, hell yeah--good deal!

posted by  dodger65

[QUOTE=mustanglx225]i have a 1992 mustnag lx convertable 5.0l i already have a flowmaster exaust. im only 15 right now but i have 9 yards and i have a job lined up at a auto glass shop. the problem is, it aint fast enough, but i dont have that much money to spend on it. i had thought about putting a 70mm throttle body and a super chip. any suggestions....? thanks cory

posted by  mustanglx225

Too slow my ass those things chirp in 2nd :banghead:

posted by  99integra

its an automatic though, if that makes any difference. but hell yea a car cant be underpowered or to slow. appreciate it.

posted by  mustanglx225

the thing is, i dont have the money to spend on all the other expensive stuff. i have to work with what i have.

posted by  mustanglx225

Your Message