79 280zx

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  79 280zx

I was jw if it was worth restoring my 79 280ZX????

posted by  brewer_26

I was jw if it was worth restoring my 79 280ZX????

posted by  brewer_26

You only need to ask once.....

Only you can decide if it is worth restoring.......If its for profit, and you can not do the work yourself, then most likely the answer is no. On the other hand if you like the car, then its all in how much it's worth to you....

We restore car all the time where the final bill far exceeds the market value of the car. But, sometimes personal value is more important. Give us a little more info about why you want to restore it, what condition its in and your mechanical abilities, and we can better answer your question.

posted by  corbett_auto

Really i just need to put on new quarter panels and a new paint job and then i think that i will be putting a v8 in it....if it fits???? I think that it does. and all of my friends and i can do everything to cars so itll all be free labor we work on everyone elses cars when needed so they work on yours.

posted by  brewer_26

Well then by the sounds of it, i think it'd be worth doing. Even if the car wasnt worth much right now, in a couple of years it may be (with the way prices of older cars are climbing), plus if you like the car. I'd say do it :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

I agree, that doesn't really sound like a restoration, just a few reapirs..if you can do all the work, and only need a few parts, heck why not. Snap a few pictures when you get it done, especially the engine after the swap.... :thumbs:

posted by  corbett_auto

Go for it, it's definately a good investment...I'm pretty sure for a V8 you'd have to make a bit more space in there, but that's just a guess. :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

yea i dunno if its possible to do that but i do know that it needs a new engine cuz right now it just a straight six....but soon enough ill have a bigger engine in there im sure

posted by  brewer_26

When tuned up and running well, the stock motor can put out some good power...remember the car is very light, unlike most things that hold a V-8. The added weight may also hurt drivability and handling...just my :2cents:

posted by  corbett_auto

Yea my dad is trying to talk me into jsut keeping the six in it cuz he said that it could put out just about as much power but i dont think so....what the hell could u do to a straihg six to make it like a v8

posted by  brewer_26

Add 2 cylinders at an angle :laughing:

Seriously though, bolt-ons, such as exhausts...

posted by  chris_knows

yeah all that i could think of for that car was exhuast, cold air, i cold find a turbo for it too i guess....and i think that is close to it tho

posted by  brewer_26

The thing is --- the car is very light...So it could actually perform better than most V-8s...Also the front suspension was designed for the six...so the added weigtht of a V-8 could hurt handling more than it helps speed....

Do what you like....but unless you have alot of money to put in to this project, plan on keeping the six....swaping over to a V-8 will cause a snowball effect of unexpected expenses and problems....

posted by  corbett_auto

money isnt an issue here, i make about 400 a week with no bills so yea im good on that part, i just dont know from what u guys have been saying if it will be worth switching over to a v8.

posted by  brewer_26

What are you planning on doing with the car? i.e. Racing, show car, daily driver...

Because you might not really need the V8, and corbett does bring up a good point, it's probably better to just do some bolt-ons...

posted by  chris_knows

to be honest i dunno what i wanna do with it, itll be my everday car cuz its pointless to restore a car and let it sit, and my dad wants me to race it but shit i dunno about that, and show wouldnt be to bad either, but like i said money isnt a problem cuz me and my friends do all the work to our cars, so itll just be parts no labor...but will it be worth my time..putting the v8 in it, meaning worth my time with the performance that the car will have from it.

posted by  brewer_26

If I were you I would get the six tuned-up and drive it around...If it's way to slow for you....do the swap. I think you will be pleasently surprised by the power of the six. Or try to find one that you can drive, you really need to make an informed decision, gross assumptions (such as the six is gonna be too weak), will cause excessive time and money

posted by  corbett_auto

yea ill just keep the six in htere for a while and see what it can do.

posted by  brewer_26

how many miles are on it? An engine rebuild may not be a bad idea, or maybe bore it out as well. I don't know much about engines but wouldn't rebuilding and boring it out possibly bring out what you really want for cheaper and wouldn't create the weight issues everyone is talking about if you throw an 8 in there

posted by  Pythias

Your Message