choices, choices.

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  choices, choices.

I'm looking to buy an old classic. Want to rebuild the thing from scratch. Any advice on which car to go with?

posted by  suckaformuscle

Do you have any experience in rebuilding cars, and what's your budget...if you want to go from scratch, go to the junk yard, there's most likely going to be what you are looking for :thumbs:

An intro wouldn't hurt either :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Budget really isnt a concern. I plan on it being at least a 10 year project. No, dont have too much experience but I am going in for mechanics soon.

Then it's all a choice of personal preference...what kind of car do you want?

posted by  chris_knows

Well, I am in to corvettes and I do have to say that I like the oldsmobile 4-2-2. I pretty much adore all the old muscle cars.

If you search for a while, you'll probably find one...best to ask ChrisV...he's made some pretty amazing cars, for under $5,000 or so :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

I'd say go Chevy (although I'm a MOPAR fan) cause parts are usually easier to find and are cheaper to buy then some parts for Dodge. I dunno if I'd buy a Corvette since the body is fibreglass and pretty much one piece, so if you have to replace something it will be a pain unless you know how to fibreglass. Maybe research certain cars you like and see with ones have a larger reproduction market for parts, that way you wont have to worry about not finding a certain part or spending a ton on it when you do find it. Good Luck :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

just get some sort of chevy... i'm a mopar guy but really, it doesn't take much talent, money, or know-how to put a chevy together it seems. and if you're a first-timer, i'd really rather not see you trash a nice mopar... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Dont worry, i wont be trashing no car. Love them too much to do that. As for the cheaper part. I'd rather go oober fancy then cheap. The bitterness of poor quality outlasts the sweetness of a cheap price.

I'd go with a Mopar.

posted by  nsupra27

First off, if you are going to have it for a while it better be something that strikes your fancy. Go to the library and get a book on '60s and '70s American cars 9there are many) and look through them to get an idea. ALL of them wil be fun, easy to make perform, and appreciating in value. What you want is to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg just to buy, and has a good following to get replacement parts.

Are you going to restore it, or modify it? That will determine which to look at, as well.

Oh, and when they talk about cheap to get parts for, they dont' mean it in a poor quality sort of way, but in a low cost, due to being popular sort of way. Listen, parts prices are based on economies of scale. If the company makes a part that covers a LOT of cars, they sell more and the price is lower. Thus repair or replacement or hop up parts for Chevy cost less than for Fords and Mopars for the same quality of part. They can sell more, so the unit cost is less. Sometimes the difference is minimal (like engine rebiuld bits for the more common engine famillies of each maker) sometimes the difference is phenominal, like the difference in cost for replacement rubber trim for a common Chevy vs a hard to find Ford or Mopar).

Of course, subective tastes also come into play. Why buy a car that you really don't like the looks of? (unless the one you REALLY like is way outside your budget)

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message