Wondering about a 1970 Duster

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Wondering about a 1970 Duster

My friend says a guy has a 1970- Duster with a straight 6, engine runs good but it is not currently road worthy, definitely a project car. The guy only wants around 80 dollars for it, would it be worth it to buy it then stick it on ebay? Could I possibly pocket some cash from this? Just wondering because otherwise it's going in a Junk Yard.

posted by  Pythias

The car is beautiful, and $80 is not who knows how much...just that you should restore it...you'll definitely get higher profits like that, but if I was faced with the choice, I wouldn't sell it at all :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

Do you really even have to ask?!?! Go out there and buy it before someone else does. You could definately make a profit off that, even if you made a typo and its $800 its still worth it. Its too bad it wasnt around me, i'd love one of those and i'd keep it.

posted by  car_crazy89

You must be the dumbest **** if you don't go out and buy it

posted by  99integra

lol Just making sure, I'll talk to my friend tomorrow. I'm 90 percent sure he can ship it over to me. I would consider having it restored and maybe leanring some off of it myself but lately I have had no spare-time and although we have a two car garage we currently have 3 cars, and I will be eventually getting a car as well along with winter approaching....

posted by  Pythias

see about getting some pics to post... you probably don't want it, and you should send it to my house... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

You would be foolish not to take it. A car like that restored, gorgeous.

posted by  suckaformuscle

What you offerin :wink2:

posted by  Pythias

$500 :hi:

But I need pictures first...

posted by  chris_knows

I'll talk to my friend tomorrow see if I can't get the guys' number.

posted by  Pythias

Where is it located? If it wasnt too far or atleast costly to get to where I am then i could possibly try and make an offer. Gotta remember exchange rate for Canada also, pics would be sweet though :smoke:

posted by  car_crazy89

Around La Plata Maryland, my friend was absent today so hopefully he will be here tomorrow. :banghead:

posted by  Pythias

You could catch a great mint for this car off Ebay or at an auto auction. Muscle Car Trader would be your best bet though. Non running rusted out Mopars go for upwards of $5k these days

posted by  PontiacFan27

k thanks for the advice :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

*Update* talked to my friend today, he's going to try to talk to the guy today if he sees him, get the guys' number and all. If I did decide to buy it for 100 I would just drive it home, which isn';t to bad I think it's a straight 6 and gas prices around here are down to 2.39.

posted by  Pythias

yea, thats a good price for it. id get it an derby it :laughing:

posted by  adamc44

Here's the info the frame is rusted out, but the engine runs good. He said he'd sell it to me so if anyone out here is interested in it let me know, if not I won't buy it.

posted by  Pythias

Point of interest. A Duster is a unibody platform and has no frame, so what exactly is rusted? Still from your earlier description I wouldn't buy it except as a parts car. As for whoever said non-running rusted out Mopars go for $5k, well... Not a Duster like this. Maybe a Hemi Road Runner or a big block Challanger convertible that's been rusting away, but not a rotton old Duster with a 225.

posted by  vwhobo

I'm guessing the body, I will have the number of the guy tomorrow, for 125 though would you consider it worth it? I will only buy it if I expect some-kind of profit from it.

posted by  Pythias

As I said, from the description it sounds like it might make a good parts car. A good running 225 is worth maybe $200 if you pull it, the 904 trans (I think you said it was an auto) maybe $100. If the engine is a 198 you can sell it for a boat anchor. The interior and suspension could also bring you some cash. The key is finding someone who needs these parts and is willing to pay for them.

Forgot this. Think glass. The glass on them is pretty valuable, especially the rear window, of course the disclaimer above applies.

posted by  vwhobo

Is it just me or is the price going up all the time. It started at $80, then $100 and now $125. Just wondering, have you even seen the car yet?

posted by  car_crazy89

Actually it's just you, it is 100, 125 for the car and to have it shipped here. Started at 80 because I figure it would be right around there, seeing as how other then that it was going to the junkyard.

posted by  Pythias

Alright, thanks for clearing that up lol :thumbs: Still not a bad price (i dont think).

posted by  car_crazy89

it just depends on how ambitious you are and how much you like dusters...

there are a lot of aftermarket a-body parts out there, including frame rails, floors, and torsion bar mount repair plates, so it can be done...

...and yes i said frame rails. i understand it's a unibody, but that is how they are commonly referred to (really, what else would you call them?)

posted by  dodger65

You misunderstand my friend, if I bought this car, it would be to part it out and make a profit from it. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

Sell it as parts? So you can get what, 200 out of it tops? Screw that. Restore it and you can make thousands.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Don't have the time nor funds. 200? From what I have haeard more around 600 prolly...

He said 200 for the motor alone.... 100 for the trans... and the Glass on them is pretty valuable....

posted by  Pythias

Still a nice car, just alittle too far for me.

posted by  car_crazy89

Yup, I'll have the guys number tomorrow and I'll see bout it... btw sorry if I came across as a smartass in my last reply to you, didn't mean to tho I believe I did. :banghead:

posted by  Pythias

Dont worry about it, no offense taken lol. Its all good :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

You really are that stupid aren't you. According to you crusty old Mopes are already worth thousands. Have you ever restored a car little boy, especially one with heavy rust? Let's see, $100 for the car, $1500 for replacement panels, $1000 on drivetrain, $1000 for interior. Then if you're skilled enough to do all the work yourself add 1000 hours of work at $10 an hour. So let's ad it up, carry the one... You only have $13,600 invested and then you can sell it for $7500 bucks. You just made a net profit of -$6100. You'll last about 15 minutes in the real world with those sort of business decisions.

posted by  vwhobo

So even though this is a bump, did you ever buy this car or anything?

posted by  Benson

Nope, my sole reason would have been to strip it down for cash, and I just got too busy with work.

posted by  Pythias

Oh :ohcrap: I would have taken that thing in a heartbeat.

posted by  Benson

Yeah I just got caught up working stupid 5-6 days a week along with being a senior a essays to write out the ass, so

posted by  Pythias

Your Message