suspension for 74 nova

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  suspension for 74 nova

I just bought a 74 nova and the suspension is pretty much done. Any suggestions...also I am interested in lifting the rear end...suggestions???

posted by  codeblue

I'm not sure about the front suspension thing but to raise the rear of the car you can just go out and buy some shackles (attachs to the leaf springs and the frame) and maybe new shocks. The shackles are good for about atleast 4 or 5 inches of lift.

Shackles:
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/images/Suspension/shack.gif

posted by  car_crazy89

thanks

posted by  codeblue

Here's a suggestion. Don't lift the rear, lower the front. You'll thank me someday.

posted by  vwhobo

Why do you say that...?

posted by  codeblue

Because jacking up the rear end will make the car ride and handle worse. Because if you jack it up you'll probably stuff ridiculously large tires in back that the drivetrain won't be able to handle. Because if you jack it up you'll lose braking efficiency. Do I need to go on?

posted by  vwhobo

how is that different than lowering the front end...isn't it the same in the end?...your front end is still lower than the rear end either way you go about it...I'm just trying to see what your reasoning is thats all...

posted by  codeblue

Lowering the front won't give you room to stuff huge ass tires under the rear, will it? It also won't raise the center of gravity. It's called vehicle dynamics.

posted by  vwhobo

c'mon--if you've got a nova, you've GOTTA have that "texas tilt"....

posted by  dodger65

haha...I agree dodger65...but vwhobo, no offense, but when you start talking vehicle diynamics and lowering the front end as apposed to lifting the rear, in either instance the center of gravity will change no matter the decision...I'm just looking for straight forward reasoning to your statement thats all...my nova already rides very low in the front, I really don't see how I could go any lower

posted by  codeblue

I understand the desire to lower the center of gravity but is the difference really going to be that substantial

posted by  codeblue

uhhhhh, i was kinda being sarcastic, b/c every old nova i see around here is 10' high in the back w/ the front bumper scraping the ground...

why do yo want to lift the back up? for aesthetics or biggger tires? or are you just looking to keep it from bottoming out all the time?

posted by  dodger65

Because a lower center of gravity 99.9% of the time is preferable to a higher center of gravity. Funny, isn't it. You answered your own question right here;

Substantial? Well that obviously is directly proportional to the height difference in either direction. Plus you're still not considering the dynamics of oversized tires and what they'll do to braking, handling, etc.

What is the answer you're looking for so I can agree and make you happy?

posted by  vwhobo

I think I got the answers I need...which makes me happy :mrgreen:

posted by  codeblue

Your Message