car stalling

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  car stalling

ok the car is a 1975 pontiac catalina, 400ci. v8, 2bbl carb, TH400 auto. all stock
the car has a hard time starting, and once it is started when I press the gas pedal it stalls and dies. i think its the fuel pump but i dont know for sure. what can i do to fix this?
thanks

posted by  azkid110

Hi need more info about the car , is it a everyday driver ,as it set for a long time ,when was the last time it was tuned up? has the carb been rebuilt? check fuel pressure ? more info please Slimone

posted by  Slimone

does it only do this when its cold???

posted by  glagon1979

my dads malibu does this sometimes and they way he does it is pump the gas pedal 3 or 4 times and start the car and it doesn't die.

posted by  salimander13

it was an every day driver in 2004 then my dad got a new jeep and gave me this car, but even then it would do the same. it has been sitting for awile, maybe about a month and a half. when my father had the car it was poorly taken care of so it didnt get tuned up very often, but i would say about a year ago it got tuned. i think the carb was redone when i was really little but definatly not lately. it does this all the time, cold or hot and in arizona, its almost always hot. i tryed pumping the gas but its gotten to the point where to start it, i need to hold down the gas pedal. any more ideas or solutions?

posted by  azkid110

Hi Azkid, I'am in az also an where I'am at its cold ,lol , Well would say give it a tune up an check fuel pump for pressure ,check the choke ,sounds like its not working , Car that old you might want to have a look at the fuel lines ,This Az weather does a job on rubber lines. may have cracks or leaks in them . Have fun Slimone :2cents:

posted by  Slimone

Your Message