Engine swap (help me out Mopar guys)

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Engine swap (help me out Mopar guys)

Hey,
I've got myelf a reeeeall muscle car, a 1987 Dodge Diplomat and I want to do an engine swap.
Originally, it had a 318 2-barrel V8 in it, and the engine grenaded, and I am curious to know if it would be worth my while to put a 440 Big block in it, or just keep it stock.
What would I need, and need to do the swap?
Would I need a new/different K-member?
Would I need to change the driveline? (trans/rearend)
Would brakes be a concern?
What about motor mounts, throttle linkage, and trans kickdown linkage?
Thanks, Dan

posted by  Pinstriper38

no clue...but good luck :driving:

posted by  95civicdima

I hate to say it but the 1987 Dodge Diplomat is just not a muscle car. As for the drivetrain what do you have in the car already? For the brakes the ones you have in the car should be fine unless you plan on driving faster than the car was intended to be driven.

posted by  Benson

Well a Diplomat is pretty much a Fifth Avenue (what I have), I haven't really heard of someone putting in a 440 (although that would be sweet) but there's a lot of people who swap in a 360 with a 8 1/4 rear, and some take it a bit furth by converting them to standard.

posted by  car_crazy89

I know, I was just bein' sarcastic.

posted by  Pinstriper38

Yeah, that would be an easier option, I just wanted to know if its a lot of work to convert them from a small block to a big block and what would need to be replaced.

posted by  Pinstriper38

Blame it on the internet, I can't tell the tone of your voice. :laughing:

posted by  Benson

it is a bunch of work, but people have done it many times over. it was covered pretty thoroughly in one of the mopar magazines (they were talking about RB swaps in all the transverse torsion bar cars, though) if i get a chance later, i'll see if i can find anything. in the meantime, check out allpar.com that may get you started in the right direction.

for me, benson, that would be the best reason to do it...:thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

lol exactly. Let me know if you find anything, I'll check that website in the meantime.

posted by  Pinstriper38

here's something that should answer almost all your questions...

http://www.dippy.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=589&st=25

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

Cool, thanks. I asked them pretty much the same question, so maybe they can help me out with the specifics.

posted by  Pinstriper38

Your Message