th-700R4 transmission?

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  th-700R4 transmission?

I'm currently building a frame up resto-rod 71' firebird, and am planning to throw in a fairly aggresive chevy 454. But I'm not sure whether I should turn to the th400 tranny or the th700R4? the th700R4 deos have the overdrive so that would be nice,I also heard that the first gear is like 25% lower than that of a th400. which would help that big engines low end. but I just don't know much about the 700r4, or whether it would even take 550+ horses. pleaz help

posted by  71'MuscleBird

Why does interests in your profile say trans-am :screwy:

posted by  Benson

In his intro thread it also said Firebird :laughing:

EDIT: His dad had a Trans Am though lol

posted by  chris_knows

Isn't a Trans-Am a Firebird??

posted by  jedimario

Firebirds and trans-ams are the exact same! All a trans-am is, is a firebird with a shaker hood and fender flares. and I've turned my firebird into a Trans Am by doing the proper add ons. but good observations though. :clap:

posted by  71'MuscleBird

Now is anybody going to answer my question?

posted by  71'MuscleBird

someone already answered your question in one of the other hundreds of places you posted the same question. this is not a a way to endear yourself to cf....

btw, the trans am had different base suspensions, different base engines, etc than the firebird. you make the trans am sound like a "tuner" version of the firebird when it's really much more...

in response to a question that you posted in even another place: you can probably get an adapter kit to mate a bop trans w/ a 454, but i don't know how reliable that would be w/ 550hp. who knows? it may be fine... a buick olds, or pontiac 455 would bolt to it, though. i would choose one of them, myself...:thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

ive got a 400 buick trans mounted up to my 350 in one of my demo cars motors w a custom cut adapter plate. its held up pretty well.

posted by  adamc44

I'm still pretty new to this so sorry if I dont have all my sh*? together, but thats why I joined. thanks for your responses:doh:

posted by  71'MuscleBird

I'm still pretty new to this so sorry if I dont have all my sh*? straight, but thats why I joined. thanks for your responses:doh:

posted by  71'MuscleBird

see other post

posted by  glagon1979

Your Message