Info for chevelles

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Info for chevelles

O.K., I seriously want a chevelle, preferably 68-72, and I could use any info like gas mileage, price, and anything else you can spare. I already know alittle about muscle cars but I'll take any info you throw my way.

posted by  hunt795

Gas mileage depends on the gears that are in them :2cents:

posted by  99integra

I dont want to sound stupid or anything but is there any way you could elaborate on that or do you know any mileage for particular gears or engine:doh:

posted by  hunt795

You don't have too. He's doing a good enough job for both of you.

posted by  vwhobo

Some came with 4.56, 4.33, 3.73, 3.31, 3.08 etc.
Basically the gear ratios ranged from 2.73 to dealer installed 4.88 drag cogs

Engines: 454, 396, 350, 327, 283
Some of the engines hp varied. example: In 1968 the 396 ranged from 325bhp@4800rpm, 410lb-ft@3200rpm to 375bhp@5600rpm, 415lb-ft@3600rpm

COPO Chevelles had a 427 (Good luck finding one of those :rolleyes:)

***Not 100% sure on these numbers***

EDIT: About the gas mileage, when you buy a muscle car, its not about how fuel efficient it is and all that shit.

posted by  Benson

Man i want a car that will get the ladies, tear up the road, and make any car that gets in my way bow in fear. And i have my heart set on a chevelle!:smoke:

posted by  hunt795

good choice of car. my granddad had a '69 SS 396 convertable, red w/ white/cream vinal interior (bench seats). I took it around the lakes a few times...great feeling. He sold it a month or so ago, too bad. he got 18k for it though.

posted by  davsmitty

I was just saying a 2.73 will get better gas mileage than a 3.73 or 4.11

posted by  99integra

Really? Are you sure? Under all conditions?

posted by  vwhobo

why do we have to account for ever sencario (no matter how unlikely) with this guy? we all recognize your superior experince, but what does it realy matter what the fuel economy will be with any given engine/transmission/rear end gearing when we're talking about a Chevelle? your gonna get sucky milage, loads of torque, and lots of ass (unless your a complete dousch).

posted by  davsmitty

i like when hobo throws these questions out, helps break the assumptions

posted by  adamc44

::sigh:: Under all conditions..no but under certain ones each of them have their own advantages and disadvantages, better?

posted by  99integra

Don't ask me Twinkie. I'm not the one who brought up the mileage or gearing, I just asked for clarification. On the other hand, your knowledge of the subject only extends as far as imaginary e-cars where things like facts don't really matter. If you want an answer to your question, ask the person who introduced the information into the thread.

posted by  vwhobo

hey thanks alot you all. I'm just a kid whose still in school with no money in my pockets and a love for real american muscle.

posted by  hunt795

::sigh::....ohhh boy

posted by  99integra

People can dream, nothing wrong with that.

And was my info correct or at least any of it?

posted by  Benson

Your Message