Air Suspention

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Air Suspention

What is you guys' opinion on performance air suspention(air ride) for a muscle car?

posted by  carfanatic21

I wouldn't recommend it for daily driving, but if it's for a show car :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

they're not bad. buddy of mine has a set-up on his impala. car looks cool sittin low but it rides like you are in a cadillac.

posted by  glagon1979

I'm still trying to determine what a "suspention" is. Can't seem to find it in the dictionary. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

Someone down here has a 67 Impala down here with air ride and I've riden in it a couple of times and its pretty good if you're cruisin...without sharp turns lol.. As glagon said it rides like a Caddy (more like a Lincoln Continental) and has a fair share of roll compared to a regular suspension setup.

posted by  99integra

it's the illiterate's version of a suspension... you're looking in the wrong book... you can find it in the dikshunery, not the dictionary....:wink2:

posted by  dodger65

I think he means the performance air suspensions like from www.ridetech.com

posted by  Scolson

Hold up... the air ride simply replaces the springs. On most cars with separate springs/shocks, rou can stil run shocks, which is what controls the bounce motion. ALSO, most showcars are setting up the air ride to dupicate what hydraulics do (front/back/side-to-side motion), which requires having no swaybars. BUT, you can install swaybars and they will do their job of controlling roll (body lean) if you only want to use air ride to change overall ride height. That's how I'm setting it up on my Comet.

posted by  ChrisV

Well I guess his car needs some suspension repairs because it rolls like a som bitch

posted by  99integra

i beleive you mean "sumbitch"....:wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Yes yes lol :wink2:

posted by  99integra

...and i believe i meant "believe", too...:banghead:

posted by  dodger65

Does he do anything with the air ride other than adjust ride height? Like making it tilt sideways, etc? if he wants to do all teh lowrider stuff, then adding a swaybar will keep it from doing that. And, like just about ANY car with no swaybar, it'll lean/roll pretty badly in the corners.

it's not the fact that it has air ride that is making it roll, it's the lack of swaybars (or large enough swaybars). Look under it sometime and check.

posted by  ChrisV

Yea he makes it do all kinds of shit, I'll have to take a vid of him doin it next time I see him, he has one of those kits that makes it go up and down in like 2 seconds max height so its pretty quick. He does have a swaybar but I'm pretty sure its stock so thats where the problem is :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Your Message