How many wears old until a car is determined a Classic?

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  How many wears old until a car is determined a Classic?

I was wondering how many years until a car is considered a classic is it 20 or 25? Does anyone know?

posted by  tbirb

Take a look at this thread starting about post 99. That should pretty well cover it and save having the conversation all over again.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=69&page=3&pp=40&highlight=v intage

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks for the link, but after reaing that the question still remains. is it 20 or 25 years before a car can be insured with "Classic Insurance".

posted by  tbirb

No ace, your first post said NOTHING about insurance . In fact what it said was;

When you decide what your question is, I'll try to help you answer it.

posted by  vwhobo

Well Genius i know what I asked and I do not see where i asked for an opinion, assumtion, or a smart a$$ answer. If you didnt know just say that or dont reply. How you would determine if a car is a classic has to controled somehow, and most people would consider that an insurance company. The one thing every car has in common.

posted by  tbirb

Okay you f*cking moron, I've had just about enough shit from stupid people like you today. First you ask one question and when I try to answer it for you, you tell me I didn't answer... a different question. I didn't make an assumption, you did. You assumed that everyone on earth would know what you mean because you're not smart enough to ask the question and include ALL of the words.

Since you seem to have a handle on the worlds supply of brain power why didn't you just call your insurance company instead of coming here and wasting time and space. Oh, wait a minute, I know why. Because YOU'RE TOO F*CKING STUPID to figure it out without someone holding you hand.

It's time for you to go home now, your village misses it's idiot. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

LOL and your calling me a MORON. I am at home retard. The Cell bill for my laptop ould be outragous. :doh: And please dont get mad because you didnt actually know something. :ohcrap: Please post again lets see how much of an a$$ you can make out of yourself in one day. :fu:

posted by  tbirb

You're so funny I almost fell out of my chair. You're so stupid you don't even know what I said to you. :laughing: :orglaugh: :clap: :screwy: :laughing:

posted by  vwhobo

Yet you reply anyway Idiot. This is ammusing your like a 7 year can't stand not having the last word. :cussing:

posted by  tbirb

You go boy. I'm still laughing at you so hard I almost peed my pants. You are now the newly ordained Car Forums Village Idiot. :clap: :rock: :asshake: :laughing: :stupid:

posted by  vwhobo

HUH? watd u say ahole :laughing: :laughing: And the question was?????

posted by  lectroid

Im going to move this to a new thread. See you there.

posted by  tbirb

He doesn't know what the question is, was or might be. And you are apparently a dumbass for asking. Does any of this make sense to you? Have you seen this pattern before? Where's the pimp slapper? :screwy: :banghead: :screwy:

posted by  vwhobo

Hell know. The pimp slapper is asleep, he has school tomorrow. I don't know where in the hell he is going to move this to, as yet there ain't no dumbass thread :banghead:

posted by  lectroid

In trying to give you a helpfull answer, I know in WI and Iowa, both places I have lived, it takes 30 years for a car to be deemed a classic.

posted by  Voda48

By the way man, I love your rip on Kerry

posted by  Voda48

First I'd like to say to you, I think if you read my first two posts in this thread I also tried to supply a helpful answer, but I was answering a moving target. I don't really care for the insinuation otherwise. Furthermore, your information tells us what those states use for registration purposes based on other restrictions as well as age. It is still up to each insurance company to make their own determination.

As for the ongoing debate about classic cars, you can read books, magazines, forums and websites all day long and get just about as many different definitions as there are sources. There simply is no hard and fast rule for vintage, classic, antique, etc. The link below is possibly the best thought out and certainly the longest. In ways it brings up more questions than it answers. I think everyone should read it. I'd also like to know if anyone agrees with it 100%, I know I don't.

http://www.glv88.dial.pipex.com/factor2.htm

Comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated. If you state a "fact" be prepared to show supporting evidence.

posted by  vwhobo

Well that was fun. I certainly hope you weren't infering I was slamming your responses, as I was not. I was just trying to tell our friend that in the past, my experiences with the states of Iowa and Wisconsin, getting insurance for my 1930 Dodge I have found that their main conceren was whether or not the car was older than 30 years old and how often it would be driven. Thats all.

posted by  Voda48

Yes I was, and if you were not I apologise for my incorrect interpretation.

posted by  vwhobo

VWhobo,

Just for curiousitys sake, I see that you post frequently and touch on many aspects of auto maintaince, repair and just general car info. Just wondering what your ocupation is, when you first started getting involved with cars, and If that VW you had for a pic was yours :) (the old one you used to have)

Damn you post quick too

posted by  Voda48

1. ASE CMAT withover 30 years experience. Own and operate 3 1/2 automotive repair shops. Part time adjunct instructor at local technical college.

2. I have been involved with cars essentially since the day I popped out of the womb. I grew up in garages and race shops, cars are all I really know or care about.

3. Negative, I don't post pics of my stuff because of a bad experience I had being stalked based on info I gave over the net. The current pic (I change them regularly) is of the Deano Dyno Soars car taken at Orange County International Raceway (Irvine, CA) in 1970. Yes that's a 34 year old picture.

posted by  vwhobo

Seriously? Being stalked? Man people need to get a hobby. What did you tell the person?
I know there is prob another Forum, ie Off Topic, that we should talk about this stuff, but what kind of rides do you have? Do you restore them all yourself I would assume?

posted by  Voda48

The same things I'm regularly asked here. Where do I live, the name of my businesses, that sort of thing. From that they pieced together enough info to find out where I live and it just went downhill from there.

Suffice it to say I have a multitude of air-cooled VW's, a few water-cooled VW's and some Mopars, mostly trucks. The only thing I don't do 100% is upholstery, my '74 year old mother helps on stuff I want to be really nice.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok Boys, Depending On The State You Live In And The Insurance Company You Are With, A Car Will Be Considered A Classic Between 20-30 Years. That Is Something That You Can Call Your Local Dmv Or Insurance Company And Ask Them. I Hope That Was Helpful.

Ps When You Say Hell Know, It Is The Wrong Usage Of The Word. Know Means You Are Aware Or Informed About Something. No Means The Opposite Of Yes.

posted by  SVCMGR04

okay first of all

HOLY NECRO F*CKING POST

2nd of all

anyone else think this thread should be pasted where the forum rules are now? :laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

I don't get it....:laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

id say if every new member had to read through this thread before being able to post...:laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

I never get it...I just come here for a good laugh...and this thread has kept me rolling and just shy of pissing....

Sorry I just couldn't help posting to a thread that is obviously going nowhere...

posted by  corbett_auto

These posts are entertaining. Anyways, I saw a 1991 Mustang GT with Texas license plates that say, "Antique." I would think there is no way this car is an antique or a classic?

Diamond   11 Sep 2012 21:06

Your Message