Methanol for emmisions??

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Methanol for emmisions??

I have a 1983 ERA Cobra with a 428 in it. Need to get it through emmisions in Ct.

I was told to get some Methanol and mix it 50/50 with pump gas and it should breeze right through. Anybody have any comments/suggestions regarding what should be done to get this car to pass.

I have the Methanol at this point, but did have a problem the last time we ran the car on the tester. Since there was no airflow passing over the sidepipes to cool them, they got very hot and started to blister the paint.
Am planning on bringing a couple pieces of sheetrock along with me to wedge between the body and the pipes for my next run, BUT I need to get this car through with a quick single pass.

FYI. It is a 70s block, Holley carb, headers into sidepipe, very little muffling.
There are no smog devices on the car at all.

Any help/suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

smith

posted by  dsmith

Ive heard of that, but with a little thing of rubbing alcohol and a full tank of gas. My dad used to do that in our pontiac. I think ours has a catalytic converter though.

posted by  azkid110

You DO realize that you could put a pint (the standard sized bottle of rubbing alcohol) of goat piss, nitromethane or sody pop into a full tank of gas and not affect emissions output one iota. So what is your point except to let us know that your father, though well intentioned, was doing nothing more than spending time and money to accomplish nothing?

posted by  vwhobo

Well, it seemed to work for my dad, seeing as though he passed the emissions test with it, and did not before. but even if it didn't effect it at all, it was still somthing to give us a little hope. :mrgreen: :laughing:

posted by  azkid110

did pass the test with a 50/50 mix of high test 93 octane gasoline and methanol. had to richen mixture and retard emissions, but still made it thru.

Thanks to the one person that put in their 2cents worth.

In my humble opinion, the only worthwhile bug is an electronic listing device:clap:

posted by  dsmith

well, of course it's going to pass the emissions test if you retard the emissions... :drool:

posted by  dodger65

how do you retard the emmissions?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

you adjust the canuter valve... :banghead:

jeez, don't you know anything? :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message