More BS with my nova

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  More BS with my nova

Alright, sorry for always hasslin everyone about my nova that im gonna buy.

Appearently, when it ran in the fall. It was great.

After the owner placed it in the garage for the winter, it started running funny (I think one of the sparkplugs are loose). Also, the guages on the dashboard aren't hooked up either.
But this guy works hard, and just doesn't have time to play around with it any longer.
2700$

I want to buy it, i want to put into it. But, is it worth it?

How much (if it even is a sparkplug/what do you guys think it might be?) for the few minor adjustments, and guages (i know nothing about)...

I want a muscle car, and I want to put into it. All together, the exterior is amazing, I pretty much need to re-do the interior together (prolly 1,500). What about tuning it up? How much will this cost me? Or do you guys think i could do it just by posting here and asking questions?

Thank for the help everyone,
p.s. Ryan <3 CF

posted by  Spade

That car actually looks to be in pretty good shape (even on the inside, minus the seats, but that's normal). I would guess that if it ran fine before he parked it for the season, that it probably only needs a tune-up (plugs, wires, filters, fluids, etc), and if you could do a tune-up yourself then it shouldn't really cost you anthing either. I would also say that the $1500 for interior work is alittle higher then it would cost (unless it's worse than the I can see in the pic..).

Really I would say that you could probably get that all done (and fairly nice, but easily under $4000-5000, and that's including the cost of the car).. plus interior doesn't matter that much, it's more a preference, so there would be no hurry to finish that.

Also, you were looking for wheels for it if I remember correctly.. why not just keep the ones that are on it (atleast for awhile), as I think they look pretty good on the car.

posted by  car_crazy89

I hate to be a party pooper, but surely a reality check is req'd here. You have been begging for money to buy this POS and now you are preparing to burn even more bringing it up to speed. Surely if you are a student, the aim is to complete your studies and find a good paying job that will then allow you to tinker with money pits. In the meantime a later model small car that runs on the smell of an oily rag would be more prudent.

posted by  Wally

:clap: Finally someone had the balls to say something. I didn't want to be an ass and start a flame-war, so I kept my thoughts to myself.

posted by  elchango36

The price of the car seems fine, for some one with either mechanical know how, or deep enough pockets to pay a shop to fix it. Think about it, if you buy it, start putting money into it, and still can not bring it up to driving condition then what will you do? While this cars are fairly easy to maintain once in good condition, bring it to good condition may break your bank.

On one side it could only need a tune-up.....but what if the problems are much deeper, burnt valve, carb, etc.......

posted by  corbett_auto

all of the things that are wrong with the car are minor. most could be fixed in a day or two. i say buy it. $2700 is a nice price. wish i could find one that cheap around here.

posted by  glagon1979

On top of that, unlike a later model economy car, that Nova is no longer depreciating. So, after a minor tune up and the like, it will be worth more than you paid for it, and will always be worth more, so long as you don't beat it up and drive it into the ground.

posted by  ChrisV

Everyones making a good point, but wally's reality check probably made the most.

Alls i know about this car is what the guys telling me. THe engine could be on the way out, i dont have the money. Looks like i might just have to wait a while for a nice car.

posted by  Spade

Mate if you can take sensible advice and act on it you will probably succeed.

There is one thing I have learned about the wealthy = they know the value of a penny and they will make you pay a dollar to get hold of it. It's simply a matter of business sense; you don't strangle your cash flow, even for a non depreciating asset.

posted by  Wally

The most responsible thing would be to wait or spend your money on a more reliable car. But you probably will never again find a deal this good. For $2,700, the car looks sweet. Ever considered bringing it to get a check up?

posted by  What

glad to see you aren't pushing the whole mustang thing on this one.

posted by  glagon1979

No, totally wrong. You still can find deals this good and even better, but you have to look. Even though mostly all the classic car market has got Barrett Jackson and eGay fever, there still are good people out there who don't sell cars for outrageous prices. Just have to ask around, maybe go to a few cruise nights or car shows. The deals are still there, just takes a bit of desire and will.

posted by  Benson

I am not familiar with buying cars from private owners but couldn't you just have it inspected? I wouldn't go with what the seller says...he/she could say anything to sell you the car. "Yeah, it ran funny after it was in the garage but it's probably nothing."

I don't know. You have to remember that cars are not an investment, they are a liability as it is. Nobody needs a car that's even more of a liability based on previous-owner maintenance and such.

Hope this helps or something :\

posted by  Bronxie

Totally wrong? I didn't say it would be IMPOSSIBLE to find a deal this good.

It will be hard to match this deal in the future. People are constantly becoming more and more educated and aware of things...especially with the increasing use of the internet. It will get harder and harder everyday to find a deal like this again.

Only bitches continue to nag on old issues. I can't count how many "remember when's" or "you used to's" and "you've done it before's" a bitch has told to me.

Stop before I shame you.

posted by  What

i've been waiting for you to do that since the last time you said you would. you are the bitch. i've called you out twice now and still nothing. SHAME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M STILL WAITING!!!!

posted by  glagon1979

for shame

http://www.gibbsmagazine.com/j0078734.gif

:laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

Actually, i just looked on bargainnews, and the car has been sold.

So, *shrug* i really feel like i let this one go. But i guess i had no other choice.

posted by  Spade

It happens.. lack of funds, lack of transporting it, etc. There's been many cars I've wanted but either didn't quite have enough or had no way to get them here.. but after they sell, you usually find another you like and the whole process starts again.

posted by  car_crazy89

Im sure i will. Especialy if i save like i am. Maybe i could get one that needs less work.

posted by  Spade

im lucky i live in england where its a small country so i dont have to worry about transporting a desired car!

posted by  True_Brit

But half your cars suck.

posted by  Benson

:stupid:

I passed on a rust free '72 340 Demon - B5 Blue, auto, 3:91s, etc. $6000

posted by  Benson

my friend got a 74 nova that was just as solid and just needed cleaning up out of a farmer's field for $400...:2cents:

posted by  dodger65

I'd like to see what this car looks like. I can imagine rats, rust, and a completely dead engine.

posted by  What

you cant say that, the cars are getting descent now, look at TVR, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Vauxhall, was going to say Rover MG (but i remembered)
etc etc etc

posted by  True_Brit

imagine away, but it was as nice as that other one in the ad looked. no rust and the interior was pretty much perfect. it even polished up well. iirc, he put an engine/trans in it, but 350/350's grow on trees...

posted by  dodger65

Lucky bargains come around once in a while, im sure i'll find another.

posted by  Spade

Well I've missed:

1970 Chevy Nova - $1000
1969 Chevy Chevelle - $1500
1968 Plymouth Satellite - $1500
1975 Austin Mini (RHD) - $2700
1968 Plymouth Barracuda - $1500
1970 Chevy Corvette (w/o engine) - $1000

and there's been many others.. and that's not saying that all those cars were in THAT great of shape lol.. projects of course.

So there's proof that just cause you missed this one, doesn't mean another won't come around again.

posted by  car_crazy89

i feel your pain. i missed out on one a few years ago b/c i didn't have the room for it. 84 jag xj6 coupe, interior good, body perfect besides one large scratch on the roof, no motor/trans (was gonna swap a sbc in) ---$500.
but i did pick up a rust-free 2wd ramcharger this winter for $300. already sold the wheels for $100:thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message