Camaro, Chevelle, Nova... HELP !!!

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Camaro, Chevelle, Nova... HELP !!!

I was looking into buying car to fix up a.k.a restore. I am 18 and in the Army, an operating room technician and I leave for basic training on June 15th to Ft.Jackson, South Carolina, anyways... I narrowed my choices down to a few different cars, 1967-1973 Camaro, 1967-1971 Chevelle or a 1968-1971 Nova. The car by my standards of buying needed to be running, not just running actually, it needed to be drivable. I have $6,000 to spend on the car itself and then the process will have to be piece by piece. In the end, I want the car to come out as a clean daily driver type car ( #2 or #3 car ) It does not need to be a full frame off restoration or be finished to show quality, nor does it need to be numbers matching. To be even more specific about the cars I am looking at I do not need an SS out of any of these, I want at leaste a 327 for an motor, not interested in a 307, and dont have a need for a 454, so some where in between there (327, 350, 383,396 etc. ) The camaro doesnt ned to be an RS, SS or z28 just needs to be an original 8cyl car, the chevelle doent need to be an SS either and I would take a malibu ( just as long as it isnt one of those grandpa looking ones ) nova is the same situation, I want the car to have respect as far as its sound and its power ... by no means do I want to pull up to a rice car at a red light and actually have it think it can beat me. I found a car for cheap, around $4,000-$5,000. It is a 1969 Camaro 8cyl 3 speed running/driving project car ( I am going to tell all I know about it, because it isnt mine yet and this is all I know of it ) it reads 32,828 on the ODO but that cannot be correct, it is a 3 speed manual, the clutch is strong. it has a rebuilt quadrajet 4 barrell carb, alternator and an HEI distributor, 10 bolt rear end. The guy who ownes it now took it on trade. NEEDS, new carpet, headliner, door panels, heater box, fan motor and the interior is complete shit, it is white w/ bucket seats but they are torn up, the interior looks naked and ugly, there are two rust holes in the floor board and he says the trunk floor is strong, the rear quarter panels have rust just behind the wheel, not too much but its there, where the rust always occurs, the car comes with 2 brand new quarter panels and a brand new front bumper, it is a primered car, no paint and I do not know what it has for an engine in it, he just says its a 8cyl, it looks smaller, I have pictures of all this but I dont know if they will load. Ok to cut to the chase, I want to know if this car is worth getting, I just want to get it to a #3 or #2 car, something that it clean, clean, clean and sharp looking, but how much by what the info I gave do you think this will end up running me to get it that way. I am not very mechanically inclined so I would probobly need to factor in labor on alot of things I could not do, I called a local restoration place but he is booked until fall ( i will be away so it could happen until around then anyways ) but he wouldnt even give me a general idea, Let me know all that you can tell me about this thread, with the info I have provided, Thanks :doh:

posted by  BrrEz2223

sounds like the guy put the engine first, bad move, sounds to exspensive too me for a rust car, i would recomend a nova, i bet you could get a great daly driver for 6000 to 7000

posted by  DaveyDave

and make sure its a 2 door :laughing:

posted by  79-Cheyenne

Hey (Im new i introduced my self)

I would also say a Nova there awsome cars my favorite are the 68-72 something you also like, and like the other guy said you can buy a daily driver for cheap that is nice to well G/L finding a car befor you leave

posted by  Nova

A 383 in a Nova? GM?

posted by  DodgeRida67

My dad had a Nova...it was a piece of sh*t...

posted by  StiMan

Well good for your dad and his piece of sh*t :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yes...I never got to see it tho...sorry! Yall were just on the subject of Novas so I just said it...sorry...! :oops:

posted by  StiMan

Is it just me or are we both trying to get closer to 500 posts so we can make out titles corny?

posted by  DodgeRida67

I am not... but you are....I just have never said anything about the Nova... I am posting just as much as before, you on the other hand...

posted by  StiMan

My Gf's dad had a Nova SS that he really loved. It was puke green :screwy: Some people really like them. I myself think they are a pretty sweet car to crusie in.

posted by  Voda48

My dads was a piece of junk....thus he will never buy American again...

posted by  StiMan

I joined in Feb and didn't post for quite awhile. you joined a month after and have more posts than me. Your the posting whore between the two of us :ticking:

posted by  DodgeRida67

You were gone for a month...during that time I was posting just as much as I do now...and so I have more posts...simple as that...

posted by  StiMan

Simple as that? Don't think so. Tell me, why is your daily posting ammount nearly double mine? Yours is 9, mine is 5. :screwy:

Thought so. :banghead:

We need an asshole around here since hobo is gone, I'll take over that task.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Have fun doing that!

posted by  StiMan

Oh, you know I will.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Glad to hear it!

posted by  StiMan

To the person who said there dads Nova was a peice,
Well buddy my dad has had every year of nova from 66-73 and a 78 and from what ive heard the were fast, is your dad mechanical at all? My dad is, but the car is what you make it if you have a slow car make it fast with urgrade stuff High Performance is what i call it

posted by  Nova

It was a piece of sh*t... he had to be mechanical to keep it running... it was a 74 Nova... he will never buy American again... he used his belt, wallet, etc. in the engine just so it wouldnt die on every trip... it s*cked!

posted by  StiMan

i know i never see anything i want in the classifieds but there are stuff you want and there are some fresh cars in your price range check it out some time

posted by  chevyboy

Where did hobo go?

posted by  archangle

Long story...search for the threads associated although they both go off-topic.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Your Message