ford mustang 65 *any good*

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  ford mustang 65 *any good*

k, I saw this round the block. Keep in mind I know very little about cars, but this looks good. The dent comes with a free kit so i can fix it. It is 3,500. I could probably fix it up and stuff for projects, but I need to know if it is a good car, any one know?
Link (sorry bout low quality pix)- http://www.pbase.com/redrum123/inbox

posted by  redrum123

*moves to Classic cars*

It looks ok to me, however I cant tell what it's like mechanically (obviously)..a few dents shouldn't matter though, I mean, it looks free from rust from those pictures :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

What can you tell me about the car in general, like maintainence, performance? is it an ok first car?

posted by  redrum123

Well, I'm from the UK so I dont know too much about Mustangs (just that if I had the money I'd have one...IMHO the best ever Muscle car! :thumbs: ). I do know that they came with many engine options though, so at this stage I cant say wether or not it's fast. I know in the States that it's easier to own a car like that as a first car due to Fuel prices and insurance costs being lower than we have here. So, if ya feed me a bit more info, I might be able to help some more! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

just found out it is a 6-cylinder, 3 speed stick

posted by  redrum123

In that case I guess It'll be slow....cant beat the old V8's! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

But not so slow my granny would be found driving it??? lol.
Damn I need to find a cheap, cool looking, and fast car. guess itll never happen :banghead: EDIT: and vintage style :)

posted by  redrum123

Hey, there are hundreds of cars out there that wil meet your requirements, that Mustang wont be exessively slow.....just not very fast lol :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

ok thanks man. Any suggestions for others cars? btw im still probably getting this, Id just like to know what other cars are out there that suit my tastes

posted by  redrum123

What's your price limit?...as I said, I dont really know much about US cars. :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

You found a cheap,cool looking,(needs paint) not at all fast,vintage car for $3500, just how fast do you need to go? :banghead:

posted by  lectroid

As was mentioned before, there are plenty of engine upgrade options available for Mustangs that would scare the tits off your grandmother. It all depends on how much work you want to set yourself up for. $3500 is a great price if the car is in good shape -- which is very hard to tell given only two photographs. The first photo shows signs of rust, I'm curious what the floors look like. If they're rusted out, you're looking at a lot of work. Then again, it's a California car, so you might get lucky.

The 6-cyls aren't very fast -- they usually come in a 200 cid block that puts out about 120 bhp. Taking a seat-of-the-pants guess, you're looking at an acceleration of 0-60 in, oh, 10 seconds or so. But if you throw in a 302 V8, you'll see numbers more like 6-7 seconds.

posted by  CivilDisobediet

Man you are making me feel depressed. I almost bought a 302 '68 Mustang Coupe last spring. New brakes, rebuilt tranny and engine. It had just had a new paint job and the interior was completely redone. It wasn't as much in an original state, there were serveral mods done, ie glass packs :drool: the kind of stuff I prob would have done anyways to make the car fit me. The whole thing was selling for $6500. Damn I hate college and college tuition!!! :cussing:

posted by  Voda48

yeah, itll be my first car project. Once I learn more about mechanics of cars, Im gonna try to get v8 in that there hood. The interior is very nice. Any suggestions on any intewrnal parts I should upgrade?

posted by  redrum123

:eek: That hurts just to read. I can't imagine your pain.

I don't know what the policy here is on linking to other car sites, but there's a couple of Mustang-only boards where you can find some good deals, ranging from non-rolling to fully restored. So, all is not lost.

(But damn... $6500... ARGH!)

Sweet car as long as the body isn't full of bondo - BEWARE! lol! First bit of advice - test the body with a magnet. Take an ordinary magnet, like a fridge type, and put a thin layer of cloth over it to protect the car's paint. Then place it in key areas where you'd expect to see rust on such an old car - around wheelwells, backs of rear quarter panels, bottom or the front and rear windshield, and rocker panels. If it don't stick, you got bondo! The more bondo, the more body work you're looking at. Might be worth it if you're a DIY, but you should know what's under the pretty paint.

As for the car, I had a bud who had the same car. 6 cyl, manual 3 speed. Was a real bucket. For kicks, he bondo'd it up, put on new paint, dropped in a built 351 Cleveland with a 4 speed and a posi rear end. Car was a smoker! Not worth anything body wise, but the paint was pretty and it ran fast and hard. Just a toy for him to play with.

Ahhhh... the old days... :)

posted by  Murph

It looks good to me. It would need work, therefor I wouldnt recommend it for a first car/daily driver.

If I didn't already have one project car, I would have gotten the '67 mustang down the street that was for sale. It has some rust problems (holes around the wheel archs, and floor pans) Had a 289 :hi: But the fact that it has an automatic killed it :ohcrap:

My project car now is a '67 Dodge Coronet. I'm about to put a 440 in with 4 in the floor. Talk about one sweet ride. BTW, it will look exacly like the car in my sig if your wondering...

posted by  DodgeRida67

That is a really good tip man.

posted by  Voda48

Actually, it looks PERFECT a sa first car/project car. being a mid '60s car, it's dead easy to work on, with very few mechanical and electrical systems, and nothing complicated. EVERYTHING to work on that car is easily available all over the country. Some detail and trim parts can be expensive, but they aren't necessary to make the car useable, so can be "presents" to yourself or the car when you have th money to get them.

This is a good car to learn mechanical knowledge, and a great car to learn bodywork on, as even though the paint is faded and there's a dent, you can stil use teh car as is, and work on it little by little while driving it.

I could tell it was a 6 cyl from teh fact it has 4 lug wheels. But again, everything to swap to a V8 later is easily availble, and reltively cheap (complete running 302s with transmissions can be had well under $1000. the necesary motor mounts, driveshaft, and suspension bits are cheap and easy to come by. You can start by making it nice looking, and go for the engine swap later, orgo for the engine swap first, and make it nice later. Youc an put on the V8 suspension and brakes while it's still a 6 cyl, or wait until you do th eengine swap. the possibilities are endless.

And unlike the typical beater more modern car, you will not be losing any money on it over the years.

Since it's a 6 cyl coupe, there is no value reduction in modding the car to perfectly fit your tastes.

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/PMustang/Pmustang03.jpg

http://www.avtoshedevr.ru/Images/Avto/a9%201965%20Mustang_main%20view.jpg
http://www.mustangdepot.com/images/Photo%20Gallery/DSC00222.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

Just screwing with the mod-only smilie (hope this works)

:rock:

Edit: Worked. I think it was mod only? Who u tryin' to fool :hi: woo, im unstoppable I'm getting near 500 posts.

posted by  DodgeRida67

that isnt a mod only smile....... :rock:
You just click on more to get it

posted by  Voda48

Shhh....let him think he cracked some "special" area for mods only... :laughing:

posted by  BavarianWheels

LOL..... What was I thinking??? I mean that is a special Mod only smile. My bad

posted by  Voda48

:oops:

posted by  DodgeRida67

stay on topic please, anyhting else about the car anyone could add, has anyone driven it, and is there enough leg room?

posted by  redrum123

Wow kind of feisty aren't we?

posted by  Voda48

What in the hell is up with that lower lip?! :puke:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/images/Photo%20Gallery/DSC00222.jpg

That's an infrared operated possum scooper :doh:

posted by  lectroid

That's the type of front spoiler cars of that era used, both stock and aftermarket.

http://www.torinocobra.com/turkey_rod_run_2001/steve_m_Boss_302.jpg

http://www.torinocobra.com/turkey_rod_run_2001/steve_m_Torino_black.jpg

http://www.1stgencamaros.com/images/cars/les69z28_rightleft-l.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message