Tire Width

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Tire Width

I am building a custom frame for my 67 chevelle. I want to increase the frt tire width (wide track) which would make the frt 2" (centre - centre) than the rear. I am wondering if this is acceptable. I dont want to widen the rear diff & order custom axles. I think the rear must be wider than the frt ( no real reason just always thought it was). I would appreciate some info & input.

posted by  hkyfan2

so you're using the same tyres, but just increasing the track width?

posted by  windsonian

No Im installing 18" tires with a stock offset. And yes i want to increase track width ( 1" per side )

posted by  hkyfan2

18"?!?! wow.... mine are 205's... yours are going to be 457's .... and on the front too...

posted by  windsonian

Funny guy, anyone else that know anything that actually helps.

posted by  hkyfan2

I'm being serious.... you're putting 18" wide tyres on the front?
What's the reasoning behind the extra inch track width?

posted by  windsonian

Ok its a slow night up here in Canada, so I'll bite. No the tires are not 18" wide they are 18" rims (in diameter) the tires are 245's. So that would read 245/45X18. I hope that clears up this confusion. Most people know when someone say's they are running 18's they mean rim diameter.

posted by  hkyfan2

so my question still stands ... the tyre width is the same or different?
what i'm getting at is that a track width increase of 2" may mean the outside-outside width of your tyres is increased by a bit more than 2"

posted by  windsonian

If you want to increase track 1" per side just subtract 25.4 from your offset. Provided these are the same width wheels. Done.

posted by  rudypoochris

Your Message