Favorite Classic Car?

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  Favorite Classic Car?

Mine is a 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona. Looks good, Hemi is a beast, and first stock car to break 200mph on a closed course.

posted by  Deepdish

Ferrari 250 series is my favorite, but I also love the typical american classics...stingrays, AC cobras, shelby Cobras, and 67-69 Camaros/Firebirds. I'm not too into classics, but those are my favorites.

posted by 

I have a 68 GTO, says it below. It was my mom's school car, i got really really hooked on cars, after i built my first engine ( for the silverado) i decided i wanted to go fo the Pontiac. My dad agreed, so we started rebuildin her, or well me and a close friend who works at a body shop did. The one problem is that the head liner i bought for her wasnt the right one, and the one i need is on backorder. But otherwise its fully restored, and jsut alittle fast!!! Not 200 mph, but easily one of the fastest 1/4 mile cars in town.

posted by  labido

That's cool lambido, much props to ya 8)

posted by  skullz

haha, i like the '71 datson skylines

posted by  mazda6man

That's a tough one... I have lots of favorites.
1958 Plymouth Fury (Christine)
1961 Ferarri 250 GT California
1964 Chevrolet Impala
1967 Ford Shelby Mustang GT-500 (Elanore)
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1969 Pontiac GTO Judge
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS-454
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertable
1971 Plymouth Hemi-Cuda Convertable (Nash Bridges)
1970-1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

posted by  76MonteMan

i like 68, 69,70,71 mustangs, especially the mach 1

posted by  PodunkPunk

I personally like the early 70's Nova. They're cheap. You can basically build them any way you want and you still have that muscle look. I myself own a 74' Nova and it looks just as sweet as some camaros. :D

posted by  Streetmachine

'67 Shelby A/C Cobra :D

Jeremy

posted by  1 BALZGT

My personal favorite is the one I own... 1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible.

posted by  positraction

Positraction...
Have you recently just got that convertible back on the road this past summer???

posted by  Streetmachine

Streetmachine
I did'nt get the bird out the past summer... been doing a lot of work on it. Replacing the brakes from the master cylinder on back...considering switching the drum brakes in front to disc.
Did you have your nova at the parts a rama in the fairgrounds ? thought i seen it there.

posted by  positraction

The parts a rama at Lawrence County Fairgrounds??? If 'yes' ....yeah I had the nova there. It came in second place for GM modified. I haven't had it at Canfield Swap meets yet....just the Hot Rod Supernationals over there.

Rob

posted by  Streetmachine

for me a 70 datsun 240z or a 70 chevelle SS 454. Of course there is like a million more but those two are actually a possibility of owning.

posted by  daytonashelby

23 t-bucket

posted by  RichG

1967 Ford Shelby Mustang GT-500 (Elanore)

Hehe certain Galaxie 500s with the 427 ohc engine in them, its too bad they didnt make more of them, badass engines, 600 plus horse STOCK

posted by  Aten

70 Chevelle SS 454.....arhgarhgahrhgahrhgahrhgahrhagharh..........*drool*

posted by  Reznor

Mine of corse is the 1970 GTO Judge.... See my girlfriend has one and that is the sweetest fucking car in the world

posted by  Crazed Malinko

sd

posted by  Arthur

gone in 60 seconds was a horrible movie, plus from what i heard Elanore wasnt even a real shelby just a clone.....

yeah i believe it was a 427 cammer engine and i dont think it was ohc, i believe it was a DOHC and tyhe 600hp engine didnt last long wasnt a good street car.

posted by  Arthur

I have so many but

1959 Corvette Convertible
1969 Dodge Charger
1957 Chevy
1976 AMC Pacer - go ahead and laugh :P

that is all I can come up with for now.

posted by  Drachewyn

the charger, and the shelby cobra are my fav classsics, and the porsche spyder

posted by  bLen

nice second choice :thumbs:

posted by  bLen

It may have been, but hey the simple thought of the car itself...

427 Cammer (http://www.me.mtu.edu/~prater/cammer.html)

Sorry, dohc engines have FOUR cams in them, this one only had 2

It didnt last long because it was only offered to dealers, and certain other people. Of course, the design was somewhat poor since the chain to drive the cam is unbelievably long, new incarnations show a blower belt being used.

posted by  Aten

sorry :D

posted by  Arthur

'70 Boss 302 Mustang

posted by  Viper86

Dream car: 1967 Corvette 427 feulie
Favorite car for bias reasons: 1968-72 Chevy Nova - light, fast, and sweet looking

posted by  novaguy350

Im an Aussie so we dont have all those sweet cars here but my dream car is an 1972 Holden HQ Manaro, i think in america they call em Pontiac GTO, if anyone wants to see a pic email me with the subject Heretic_666 MANARO

posted by  HERETIC_666

66 mustang

posted by  mazda6man

'63 Avanti R3
'57 Golden Hawk
'62 GT Hawk

posted by  Studebaker

I don't know much about classic muscle cars because I live in England but I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out with these questions -

If the Mustang GT-500 has 600bhp+ then how come in "Gone In 60 Seconds" the speedometer only went up to 120mph?

What does anyone know about the V8 "Interceptor" i.e. engine size, bhp, 0-60mph, top speed, the company that made it?

posted by  snoopewite

I'm sorry, but while Gone in 60 seconds may not have been the best movie ever, it is 10 times better than "The Fast and the Furious." I sure hope the Shelby in that movie was a clone considering what they did to it.

My Favorite Classics:
1960's Ford GT40 in Gulf trim
1971 Mopar E-Bodies (Hemi Cuda and Hemi Challenger)
1967 Shelby GT-500
1966 Shelby 427SC
1968 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
1968 Dodge Charger

posted by  Widowmaker2k

The the GT-500 had a 428CJ (Cobra Jet) engine producing 335 advertised Horsepower. (More like 400.) The Eleanor was modified to around 500 Horsepower, had a body kit, and other extras. The car was certainly capable of speeds higher than 120mph. (Gearing permitting.)

By the way, Shelby is back to producing GT-500's again. He purchases old 67' fastbacks and re-makes them into GT-500E's. (E for Eleanor.) The most expensive package, $150,000, is the SS. (Super Snake.) It includes a 750 Horsepower supercharged aluminum 427, a 6-speed tranny, and many other mods.

Perhaps the engine you are reffering to is the 428 Police Interceptor motor?

posted by  Widowmaker2k

Widowmaker2k, thanks for clearing things up about the Mustang GT-500.
If the 428 police Interceptor is the car that’s in “Mad Max” then yes, that is the one that I was referring to. I found out that car was actually a 1973 Ford Falcon XB coupe with 300bhp.

posted by  snoopewite

Snoope, I think the car you're asking about is the Jensen Interceptor. Produced for about five or six years in the mid '70's ('73 to '77 maybe) by Jensen Motorcars (British), coachwork made in Italy (not sure by who), engine and trans was a 440ci V8 and Torqueflite 727 (mother Mopar), and even had some Maserati parts in it.

Not sure about performance stats but I can assure you that for it's time it was a big, heavy, but really fast machine. Maybe a little searching will find you more info. Hope this helps.

posted by  vwhobo

Well I wasn't entirely correct with the info I gave on the Interceptor but fairly close. This was the best I found with a little looking.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bv/jensen_interceptor.htm

posted by  vwhobo

I appreciate your response to my post vwhobo, but in the post above yours I said that I was actually referring to the 1973 Ford Falcon XB coupe like the ones in “Mad Max”. I never knew that there were so many different Interceptors -
*428 police Interceptor (Is that the 73 Ford Falcon XB coupe?)
*02-03 4.6 V8 police Interceptor (Crown Victoria 4 door)
*66-76 Jensen Interceptor.
*Dodge Interceptor (Mid engined, 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder, twin garret turbo concept car as seen in “The Wraith”).
That’s just the ones that I know of.

posted by  snoopewite

Besides my T/A, you gotta love the '57 Chevy's. Project X was sweet. I've always wanted a black 57 with a 427.

posted by  Big_V

Yeah Elinore was a clone. the only real GT-500 in the movie was the one at the very end that was in rather tough shape. As far as favorite car goes i'd have to go with the 1966 Mustang Fastback (yeah i have one and that's prolly why i'm partial to it). My girlfriend insists it's ugly as hell and the 68 428 CJ mustang is WAY! better but i think the jury is still out on that one. They're both real nice cars.

posted by  slavboy1

Thats a toughy, so so many .. I would probably say a 69 Chevelle SS396 or a 1969 Ford Fairlane ..

posted by  wgpjohn

1964 dodge dart gt
1968 dodge charger daytona :evil:
dodge lil red express
chevy 55-57 :thumbs:
ford 32' vickey :thumbs: :evil:
model T :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

posted by  darthopeful

I can't believe I never saw this till now.

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442
1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Aeroback (not really a classic but a nice car none the less)
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air ( the notorious 57 Chevy not almost nobody can remember the model name :rolleyes: )

posted by  Satty101

Alright, I'll chime in. My favorite since high school many years ago is the 1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE. There was one in my girlfriend's father's barn that belonged to some guy who was storing it there. After I saw that car, I just had to have one.

Well, 17 years later, I found a deal on one and brought it home. She is now in my garage waiting for tear down and restoration. I hope to get going this spring.

I did drive it this last summer though, even in it's rough condition. It was a blast. Now I have the motivation to get it done quickly.

Sorry for the crappy picture. I couldn't find my better one.

posted by  theman352001

Gotta love an old Mopar. Let me guess, 383, 727, Dana?

posted by  vwhobo

Actually: 440, 727, 8 3/4"

posted by  theman352001

1968 dodge dart hemi
1969 camero SS

posted by  Vaspier

whats a camero?

:banghead:

posted by  SuperJew

oooo!!! I WANT TO KICK HIS ASS!!!!!!! It's CamAro dumbass!! If it's one of your favorite cars, THEN WHY THE **** CAN'T YOU SPELL IT RIGHT!!!!!

YOU PEOPLE PISS ME OFF!!!

to answer a question without need of more posts, that was directed to Vaspier. Not you SJ :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

well then, people like you piss me off when you cant take a joke asshole. its an inside joke between me and my friends. retards like you give forums a bad name "typo, FLAME HIM EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO REAL REASON TO!" get a life man, really.

posted by  Vaspier

"Camero" = an inside joke between you and your friends as opposed to a simple spelling mistake?

Of course it does :rolleyes:

posted by  snoopewite

And of course all of your friends are on this board so they know about the inside joke. And the oldtimers here are all in on it too. You need to get a life.

posted by  vwhobo

alright then, looks like there are absolutly no forums now that have any decent people. why must you all be so quick to jump on someone about something? is it the fact that in the virtual world you can make yourself seem like some kind of really cool person by cutting other people down when they joke around or spell something wrong? if you were to type something wrong would i jump all over you with the help of an entire forum to flame you just because of ONE LETTER?! no, because whats the use? maybe for you it makes you feel like someone important or special, getting all your friends on here to flame someone new. i came here to ask a question about my car, a simple task, thought i might stop by more often cause i like cars and talking about them. but i guess thats too much to ask now days. you go ahead and stay here, making fun of anyone that decides to show some of their personal side, but as for that "you need to get a life" ive got one, and it doesnt include coming into forums searching for people to harass, that is just sad.

posted by  Vaspier

Okay wait, okay, okay, wait, okay, wait...

WHO needs to get a life? The guy who registered THIS MONTH, with SIX COUNT 'EM SIX posts? No. The guy who registered this month LAST YEAR, with over TWO THOUSAND, thats 2000, posts on a crappy car forum where every creams their pants over cars they can't afford and then ridicule some one for a spelling mistake or inside joke.

Wtf is 'oooo'? I WANT TO KICK YOUR ASS!!!!! It's ooooH dumbass. The reality of the situation is you couldn't kick a cat's ass because you troll a car forum and run spellchecks on everybody's posts.

This forum was just owned, you can now return to your regularly scheduled idiocy.

posted by  Lun4tic

The fact is I don't really care about the misspelling, but you sure seem thin skinned about it. Why couldn't you just say "yep, I screwed up" instead of making up a story? And I hate to point this out to you (no I don't), YOU are the first person who came up with the idea in this thread that someone needs to get a life.

posted by  vwhobo

WTF are you on about? You obviously have no concept of which you speak. Anybody who uses "owned" in their daily conversation has serious issues. And people who "troll" forums to look for something to complain about (yep, that's you) need to check into a clinic.

posted by  vwhobo

hmm, maybe you didnt see the quotes around what i said, ya know quotes mean that im quoting someone. someone being you. "And of course all of your friends are on this board so they know about the inside joke. And the oldtimers here are all in on it too. You need to get a life." notice the last sentence there? i believe that is your post and i do believe that you seemed to have said you need to get a life. you also say that i seem thin skinned about it? lets see, someone comes on, says they want to beat you, calls you an asshole, and says that you piss them off... lets see, i think thats a fair enough reason to get angry about it and "thin skinned". and boy, its sure a good thing that you know that i made that all up ya know, seeing how you know me so well and how i talk to friends or family. its just so awsome how you can read minds and see into peoples past to determine if they make something up like that. it sure wasnt an inside thing that my mother made up for a name of my brothers old camaro. its just so cool how the human race is evolving into a such a great race.. mind reading wow, i love it.

posted by  Vaspier

Please show me the quotation marks around those words. This is your post and it is the FIRST TIME that phrase was used in this thread. If you're going to argue, at least use facts.

posted by  vwhobo

PV444/544 of course.

Like my love Hulda. PV444KS from 1956.

http://www.volvoentusiasterne.dk/galleri/hulda.jpg

I would really give up my or other peoples life for her.

But there are many, many great veterancars. Prefer Volvo of course :)

posted by  Stryplekar

Very nice car. It looks like you're lucky enough to have two of them.

posted by  vwhobo

I think you meant to quote somebody else, because my post raised the average IQ level of these forums by about 100 points.

Read it, re-read it, then re-read it again, whatever it takes to fully understand the post. And if that doesn't work, I'll break it down for you:

Having a life means you don't spend your friday nights on a car forum. Having a life means you don't waste every day for the past year accumulating over 2000 posts on a car forum. Having a life does mean leaving your basement every hour or so. Having a life does mean you've seen the sun in the last week or two. Having a life does mean you have tangible friends.

Sorry bud, you just don't meet the 'Having a Life' criteria. Here is what you can to to obtain a 'life.'

1. Get rid of that ugly ass sig. Bugs suck, they are ugly, and I'd rather have a staring contest witha vulture then look at one of those things.
2. Step outside your basement. Make sure you take one step at a time, and don't rush it.
3. Step outside. You may need SPF5000 sunblock because your skin is so white and weak from being in the basement so much. If you sunburn too quickly, step back into the house for an hour and try again.
4. Go someplace like school or the mall and make some new friends. Find people with common intrests that don't include lan parties, basements, linux, and building your own computers.
5. Get a job.
6. Get a girlfriend.
7. Fight a gangaster.
8. Proclaim yourself a man.

Follow these simple, easy to follow steps and you'll reclaim your life in no time!

posted by  Lun4tic

i have, and did, you need to look closer and think about what youre posting about. "you go ahead and stay here, making fun of anyone that decides to show some of their personal side, but as for that "you need to get a life" ive got one, and it doesnt include coming into forums searching for people to harass, that is just sad." as you can see, that was directed at you. in the post right before that, you had told me that i need to get a life. so i was quoting you there. you really dont know where to go with this do you? youre running out of ideas and you cant think of anything for your defence, and youre changing the topic and acting "cool" about something else, so you are now trying to turn it around and mix it up. so basically, you lose, youre wrong.

posted by  Vaspier

Well thank you for that useful information. Unfortunately, if I followed your directions I would revert to being a pimply faced thirteen year old who beats off while looking at pictures of Justin Timberlake five or six time a day, just like you.

posted by  vwhobo

nice car you have there stryplekar.

oh. I'm sorry. I didn't know the "h" wasn't at the end of that. I admit, that is my bad. And just so you don't have the need to get p*ssed off for no reason again, I actually have a life. I have a girlfriend, I play 4-5 sports, I have....well, more friends than you. If I run spell checks on everybodies posts, I'd be one hell of a hypocrit. I tell you what. It's just the fact that one of my personal favorite cars got discraced by spelling it wrong. I don't know you but I'm sure you'd correct my spelling if I mis-spelled one of your favorite cars. Stick around and get more experience here. Then maybe you can understand why I get so p*ssed off about things like this.

posted by  Satty101

And if you were smart enough to know you start reading at the top, and then do it, you'll see you were the first one to use the phrase. I know that's difficult to figure out but just try it. You lose bucko.

posted by  vwhobo

Woah! Watch out! He just turned that around on me like a pro! He's getting mad now, we better stop making fun of him before his pimples turn red and explode.

You get so pissed off because your a simple minded baboon dragging his kunckles around as he walks. You've got a lot of catching up to do before you can rejoin the human race.

posted by  Lun4tic

that was a very horrible reply VW. you have no been forced to use childish insult like saying he masturbates to males and that he is young and has acne. thats just horrible... i was expecting more out of you than that. but i really dont see how becoming a productive member of society makes us 13 year old acne faced masturbating feinds. can you please explain to me how this works? cause, ya know, getting a job, that sorta brings in money and helps the economy, instead of sitting at home getting payed by your parents or the government. and last i checked having a girl friend doesnt really make anyone want to masturbate to a male artist. as far as i can see, and im guessing everyone else on the forum,(even if they are too upset to admit it) youre last post was a very very poor and unintelligent insult to Lunatic

posted by  Vaspier

Okay, I get it. It's okay for him to insult me but I can't do it back. Hmmm, that puts me in a very frustrating position.

By the way. While you're lecturing me on all these important facets of life, realize that I pay more in taxes every year than both of you make (can't prove it, safe assumption) so I know a little bit about income and payrolls and helping the economy. Also let the record show that my wife might get pissed off if I were to go find a girlfriend. Finally, it's only an insult if he doesn't do it, and at this point there's nothing to make me believe otherwise.

posted by  vwhobo

hahaha. I love this! these people like "Lun4tic" and "Vaspier" come in here thinking this is a place where unintellegent morons like to hang out. I like the fact they choose to come here before even looking at the gearhead garage. But then I remember, they see the posts with all the words and just say to themselves "hmm, that's too much for me." So right now, I'm going to tell you this in the only language you seem to understand. Go to the corner and put your nose against the wall. You have no right to come in here and think you know everything and start dissing people you don't even know. What a f*cking genius. :rolleyes:

posted by  Satty101

im sorry, but i dont remember coming in here and saying that i know everything OR dissing people, it was you that decided to diss me in the first place. i just came here to look for some answers for my car, spelt a word different, got called an asshole and threatened to get beaten. you are totally in the wrong here. just because you may know things about cars doesnt mean you are intelligent. it just means you are knowledgable about something. your people skills are very horrid and you come off as rude, idiotic, childish, and an asshole.

as for VW, you can go ahead and make with the comebacks, its just that the last one there was REALLY bad. its like you didnt even think at all. and if you say that you make so much money and have a wife, then go spend time on your job and with your wife instead of sticking up for a flaming asshole.

posted by  Vaspier

1. I don't have to. I don't even have to get out of bed to make a living if I choose not to. I took today off to watch the Daytona 125's.

2. My wife, like me, also has a life. Right now she's doing what she want's to and so am I.

3. I don't ever recall "sticking up" (very juvenile sounding) for anyone. All I did was take issue with your inability to simply admit you made a spelling error.

4. If you don't like my "come backs" well, this is a free country, don't read them. It won't hurt my feelings at all.

posted by  vwhobo

I can't believe nobody's pulled out the :pop: yet!!

posted by  SuperJew

I can't believe we have two threads today going like this.:banghead: And I didn't start either one of them!:clown:

posted by  vwhobo

i already have man, as soon as Satty posted that first thing about me. and VW it may sound very juvenile but its the truth. and you just admitted, that you dont have much of a life, you take time off work to watch a race, thats not too bad. its just the part where you said youre doing what you want. sitting in a forum posting about such stupid things. you could say im doing the same. but then that would make us both idiots. the difference is though, ive already given up about caring about life and what people think of me, so it dont mean much to me. you could ALSO say that if i dont care what people think about me, then why did i get "pissed" about what sattty said, there is a difference between what people think about you, and letting people walk over you. you also keep saying that it was a spelling mistake. even though it wasnt, and you REALLY have no proof that it is, i have explained already that its something that i say with friends and family. you grow accustomed to saying or spelling something a certain way if you do it all the time. if you have an acsent you dont get yelled at by someone because of the way you say a word, its just the way you say it because over time you have learnt to say it that that way. if you do something enough, it becomes normal. now, im done with this flame war, put away your popcorn people, cause from now on it will just be VW or Satty posting to each other. Lune might come back to shut you down. so you might have something to listen to still.

posted by  Vaspier

Vwhobo, yes i have to. One from 1954 to. And a Volvo144 from 1971. But in bad condition.

posted by  Stryplekar

I don't have a life because I took a day off work to watch a race? That qualifies as one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Most people envy the fact that I can work whenever I feel like it. By the way, I average somewhere between 60 and 80 hours a week working, so my day off is well deserved.

I'm truly sorry if you've "already given up about caring about life and what people think of me". To me that is a very sad thought. If you really feel that way, maybe you should look into some professional help. That's from the heart and not smart ass in the least. I think you should come here and keep posting because I think you could be a valuable part of this community.

posted by  vwhobo

as much as i would want to come here and still post, its a little late now. and i never said that staying home to watch a race meant you had no life, i said the opposite. "you take time off work to watch a race, thats not too bad. its just the part where you said youre doing what you want. sitting in a forum posting about such stupid things". i dont really want to make an enemy out of you. i just dont let people walk all over me.

posted by  Vaspier

My concern is with your well being after the things you said in the other post. My concern is that you're going to be alright.

posted by  vwhobo

dont worry bout me. i should be fine. its just the way i see life. just went outside and did a big burnout in my car. vented some steam, should be fine now.

posted by  Vaspier

Damn it! I gotta fight a gangster now!?!? :doh: My life was going so good too.

posted by  theman352001

ya, every man must fight a gangster, if you havent, you are not a man. now go forth and find one! show the world youre a man!

posted by  Vaspier

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. I should go beat up someone wearing a zuit suit and carrying a tommy gun or what?

posted by  vwhobo

Gangsters are a bunch of pusses. It takes more to be a man than just fighting. One day you will realize that and, hopefully, feel a bit ashamed when you look back on all the stuff you've said in this thread. It won't be now however so go ahead and flame away......

posted by  theman352001

i was joking about the gangster thing, and about the fighting thing. never been in one fist fight in my life. i dont find it to be a very good way to solve a problem.

posted by  Vaspier

Who are you refering to?

posted by  vwhobo

Damn it vwhobo, your too damn fast with those fingers. I, of course, was reffering to Vaspier's post about going out to fight a Gangster.

Anyway, I do appreciate his answer to my post and it shows a bit more about himself anyway. :thumbs:

Now lets try to put the gloves down and talk about favorite classic cars.

posted by  theman352001

thank you theman....whos a GTO fan in here?

posted by  SuperJew

already have. i still like the 69' Dart hemi and the 69' camEro SS
if only i could go back in time and buy one, so cheap back then compared to now. although im looking to put a mopar 360 in my 69' dart. too much money right now though, 3500 american, transfer to canadian and thats alot of money, around 4600 for me i think. i just wanna get rid of the crappy 318 i have in there now, even if i had the original 273 i would be more than happy.

posted by  Vaspier

Assuming old from the thread. I like the late 60's vintage.

I just looked at the 2004 today and I must say that V8 looks pretty nice in that engine compartment. :drool:

posted by  theman352001

What do you find wrong with the 318? Why would you want to go backwards and put in a 273?

posted by  vwhobo

yeah my dad has a '68, but i keep on busting on him for keeping it in storage for the past few years....

and I have yet to see the '04. my dad has and he said it makes a beautiful sound, and that it looks better in person than in pictures.

posted by  SuperJew

cause the 273 original from 69 had about.. 190 hp with a 2bbl and i think 210 or so with a 4bbl, but right now im using a 85ish 318 from a diplomat. so its got way less power, im thinking around 150-160. i have no idea where the original 273 went, this car has been around alot, someone probably blew it and threw it away. so you can see why i want to get rid of this 318 though? its pretty crappy right now, and i dont have the ability to tweak it to perfomance.

posted by  Vaspier

Well yeah but... The 273 had 190 SAE gross hp and the 318 had about 150 SAE net hp. If you figure in the difference between the two measurements (there is no exact formula) the hp is very close, but the 318 will have more torque. Plus if you have it dropped into your Dart I'm sure it's been de-smogged so that should even it up. I agree a 360 would be ideal, but why not just build the 318? They can make a screamin' little engine.

posted by  vwhobo

ya, ive heard, i know they are almost unbreakable, but i dont really have the knowledge to build the 318 up, or the money right now. who knows, i might just keep it and build it up to something really good. im looking for a 4bbl intake right now. if anyone has one for cheap im willing to buy it.

posted by  Vaspier

ok, I was really out of line starting this whole thing. But you really should've said it was an inside joke Vaspier. I was haveing a really bad week and that just sent me over the edge. I apologize to Vaspier, Lun4tic (even though Im not too sure he'll come back), VWhobo, SJ, and everyone else on this board. I should've held in my temper and said it calmly that you made a mistake. So again, I'm sorry you guys. I'll try to keep this from happening in the future.

posted by  Satty101

k cool, forgiven. i usually dont stay angry at a person long, as long as they apologize for whatever they did. i just hope no one decides to flame me for anything else stupid and small like that. i wont back down from a flame war.

posted by  Vaspier

I think there should be a comma after that "k". lol, just messin with ya man. :mrgreen:

posted by  Satty101

:cussing: oh and really that k cool thats another inside joke.. seriously. my friend in school would always say "kcool" really quick. just the way he said it was funny, so thats they way i say "k, cool" now days. just some good memories of the past.

posted by  Vaspier

i like the 1981 Chevy Camaro

posted by  Car Guy

1981 Camaro? In England cars have to be at least 15 years old to be considered classics. What about in America?

posted by  snoopewite

Me thinks perhaps you are confusing terminologies. Antique would denote a certain age, most usually a car that is at least 20-25 years old. Classic on the other hand is a car that is a milestone or especially interesting car. I think we can agree for instance that an old style VW Beetle is a classic car, even if it was built on July 23, 2003.

I forgot to add. I don't know of anyone, except the one above, who would consider an '81 Camaro to be a classic. As a matter of fact it's generally considered to be one of the worst years ever in Camaro history.

posted by  vwhobo

I agree that a car that’s at least 25 years old can be defined as an antique, (in England, cars that were built prior to 1931 are classed as vintage cars) but I'm not confused about the English minimum age for a car to be able to be considered a classic. Once a car is 15 years old, that’s when the facts of it being a milestone or especially interesting as well as being rare come in to play. Obviously it also helps if a candidate for a classic car is pleasing to the eye but that can be down to personal opinion. Because of what I said above, an old style VW Beetle that was built on July 23, 2003 wouldn’t be considered a classic car in England. If a classic car is modified then its denotation of being a classic is voided and if a car is a replica of a classic then it’s a replica of a classic car. What I’m saying is, if there was a car released last summer that was a milestone, interesting, rare and good looking, where it would be a ‘classic’ in America, it would be a ‘future classic’ in England.

posted by  snoopewite

You are entitled to your opinion as to what criteria allow a car to be considered a classic. However I can guide you to at least a few British magazines that disagree with you. Why would a Beetle or a Caterham 7 built in 1973 be a classic but not one built in 2003? They are essentially the same car, almost completely unchanged.

A classic car is no longer a classic if it's been modified? Is an Austin A30 no longer a classic if the paint is not the original color? Is a Hillman Imp no longer a classic if it has non-standard wheels? Is a Mk 1 Cortina no longer a classic if it's prepared for rallying as so many were throughout their lives? I think you'll agree the answer is a resounding yes, they are still classics.

I think you are using terminology from insurance regulations or some other bureaucratic enterprise. And I know that there are no hard and fast rules concerning these types of classifications except with bureaucratic enterprises.

posted by  vwhobo

I hate to be the one to say this but....it is 2004. the 1981 Camaro is 23 years old.

posted by  Satty101

Once again Satty101 thank you

posted by  Car Guy

That's right. The Inland Revenue is another good example.

This site below is more what you're talking about.
http://www.aeclassic.com/comments/classic1.html[/url]

[U]Conclusion
It's a grey area so everyone make up your own minds. I'm not going to say what's what anymore but now I know what a variety of other people's opinions and definitions are. I'm glad that I asked the question that lead to this :thumbs:

http://www.rac.co.uk/ must have added up from 1991 by accident.

Well there's still the point that 1981 is generally considered to be one of the worst years ever in Camaro history, let alone a year for a classic Camaro design.

posted by  snoopewite

look guys, I hate be in such a bad mood but I have to say this. We can shove tons of facts up car guy's butt until it bleeds, but it won't do any good. This thread was started to see everyone's OPINIONS ! not so we could just come in and say that a 1981 Chevrolet Camaro was the worst one built. I myself am not too fond of an 81. But this thread was all about opinions and this was car guy's opinion. In America everyone's entitled to their own opinion right? Or did I suddenly move somewhere else that looks exactly the same and has the same people in it?

posted by  Satty101

Golly there sweetie. I stated a fact about the car in he opined on, which also just happens to agree with my opinion. I guess my opinion doesn't matter because you don't like it. I suppose now my opinion doesn't count either. Just because you missed your nap time is no reason to start this shit.

Basically unless you can show me where I said he's not entitled to his opinion, piss off. And please save the 'lack of sleep, you're tired' BS. You've run that dog into the ground a long time ago.

posted by  vwhobo

I'm not going to bring back the tired excuse. I don't have an excuse. I'm just saying. Ohh, and hobo...

haha, slightly moddified of course :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

What is the opinion of my newest sig pic?

http://www.darkosiris.com/gallery/albums/Avatars/_thb_googoo.gif

posted by  vwhobo

what? The red X? Go for it!

posted by  Satty101

State opinion on an open car forum = Get heat for it... :doh:

posted by  BavarianWheels

ok, look. I'm not giving them crap about their "opinions". I'm just saying respect the other's opinions and atleast say "I don't like the 81 Camaro." sounds better.

posted by  Satty101

What are you doing, playing the thought police today? I don't really care what it sounds like, many sources (car magazines, car clubs, etc) consider '81 to be the worst year for the Camaro. What they are saying is their opinion, but the fact that they said it is a fact.

Please, show me where I said he's not entitled to his opinion or that I don't respect it. I (and a shitload of others) just don't agree with it. What I disagree with is the '81 Camaro being a classic car. It isn't now and probably never will be.

posted by  vwhobo

:pop:

posted by  SuperJew

sorry to dissappoint you but I'm done. what about you VW?

posted by  Satty101

Done with what? I'm busy looking at juggalos!:thumbs:

http://www.darkosiris.com/gallery/albums/Avatars/_thb_googoo.gif

posted by  vwhobo

I had to copy and paste the properties into browser and reload page to get the jugs going. Interesting. :laughing:

posted by  BavarianWheels

indeed.....

posted by  Satty101

I've seen it before but I still like it.
On the subject of the signature picture that you're using now, is that VW yours or does it belong to someone who you know? What’s with that sort of spoiler on the back of it and the paintwork and how wide are those wheels? Is it a completely finished, road-illegal drag monster or is it okay to be driven on the roads?

This is another example of the kind of avatars from the place where vwhobo got the one in the quotation box :mrgreen:
http://www.darkosiris.com/albums/Avatars/JenLove.gif
The attachment's of another humorous but still picture of an undignified, huge breasted woman :orglaugh:

posted by  snoopewite

It's cool. I would like to know what it is, I know what it was :roll:

posted by  lectroid

This is my third try to answer you guys. I must really like you because I get dumped by the server just as I finish typing. Here's the answers in no particular order.

What it is, or what it's going to be, is a TxPRA Pro Stock (http://www.txpra.com/). It belongs to a friend of mine in Louisiana and was being built in Texas at the time of the picture. I haven't seen it yet but hope to when the race season starts later this year.

That is most assuredly a spoiler on the back. Aerodynamically a Bug is shaped somewhat like a wing, flat on the bottom, convex on the top. Because of this there is a great amount of lift at high speeds. Not a good thing on the big end of the track especially with swingaxle rear suspension and slicks. The piece below it is simply an engine cover.

The car in the pic is in the mock-up stage so what you see is primer, aluminum, fiberglass, rust, etc. I think it's going to be yellow when it's done. The wheels are 3 1/2 x 15 front and 8 x 15 rear.

No, it's not a street legal car but will be a great toy on the track. It should run high 9's/low 10's at 130ish mph once it's dialed in, even with all of the restrictions on the class. If I missed anything, let me know.

posted by  vwhobo

sweet. Make sure you get a pic of it when it's done (as if you weren't going to anyways)

posted by  Satty101

Thanks a lot for persevering with your reply to my questions :thumbs:
What engine has it got? Someone told me that modern Volkswagen engines can't fit in the back of VW Bugs because they're not flat engines. I know that something's not right because engines from new Beetles are allowed in the rules for TxPRA Pro Stock :umh: I also thought that 'Beetle' was just what we English say :confused: Is it going to have ballasts at the front as well as at the back or a wheelie bar, or would that count as a violation of the rules on the body dimensions? What's the reason for the front wheels being like the ones on needle-nosed dragsters?

posted by  snoopewite

Wow Snoope, it's a good thing for you the only thing I like better than talking about VW's is building and driving them. Let's bang these out one at a time.

1. Type I VW, which is an air-cooled flat four. Don't know what size at this time, probably around 2500cc's.
2. Someone told you wrong. You can buy adapters for a whole bunch of engines to fit up to a Bug transaxle, the water-cooled VW engine family being just one of them.
3. I'm not sure how you determined that New Beetle engines are allowed in the class. The rulebook very specifically says "One 4 cylinder opposed pushrod, 2 valves per cylinder, of VW configuration." That is an air-cooled Type I, Type IV or Waterboxer from a later transporter. Everybody runs Type I's.
4. Wellll... Bug is the more common usage in the states but remember, I used to live in the UK so for me anyway they're very interchangable.
5. Yes on both counts. Ballast in the front (battery, fuel tank, lead weights) and wheelie bars in back.
6. As with any drag car, the front wheels/tires are pretty much there to keep the front of the car off the ground and hopefully provide some directional control. Skinny, low drag, low rolling resistance tires are the way to go. Actually, although you can't tell from the pic, those tire are substantially wider than fronts on a Top Fuel car.

Okey, dokey. I'll be looking for more questions tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel.:read:

posted by  vwhobo

3. :doh: I was looking at what bodies are accepted: -
"Any VW Type I, III, Ghia, or NEW BEETLE may be used."
4. How come that a Texas organisation would use the word "BEETLE"?
6. Keep the front of the car off the ground?

Thanks for being willing to answer the many questions that I've been throwing at you. I don't know if you're familiar with this English term but vwhobo, you're the DOG'S BOLLOCHS! If you're not sure, that's a compliment :thumbs:

posted by  snoopewite

4. Interchangable, it's not a UK only term.
6. Go out and take the front tires off of your RAV-4. Where is the front end sitting now? On the ground.
You know I'll try to answer any question posed to me, as long as I understand it. And of course I know all about dog's balls, but I thought it was spelled bullocks.

posted by  vwhobo

mine would have to be the '55 chevy (preferably red and white) since my family has one

i also love the biscayne that troy tranpanier recently built :clap: :thumbs:

posted by  JrDragsterPunk

4. I thought that you said the words 'Bug' and 'Beetle' are interchangeable for you, meaning only for you and a few others in America but not the majority. I'm good at misunderstanding things :roll:
6. I went out and took the front wheels/tyres off my Rav4 but the front end was still off the ground. You must have forgotten to tell me to pull the jack out once the wheels/tyres had been taken off :PP
I was thinking that you meant the front of the car including the wheels as though you’d said, “the front wheels/tyres are pretty much there to be kept off the ground and hopefully provide some directional control”, which obviously wouldn’t have made any sense. I was picturing when I once saw the front wheels of car stay off the ground from start to finish in a drag race, but of course it wasn't intentional.
I put this down to me having an 'alternative' brain wave pattern :screwy:

Umm, ‘bollochs’ converts to ‘testicles’… but I think you kind of got that.
Thanks for answering all my questions in this thread :thumbs:

posted by  snoopewite

1949 Buick Roadmaster Convertible :thumbs:

posted by  Unforgiven

hey unforgiven...an introduction would be nice. :banghead:

posted by  SuperJew

When talking calssics, my favorites are...

The original Ford GT, in Mk 1 form (small block, fewer scoops)

http://www.isportscars.tv/Classics/g4_ford_gt40_mkI1.jpg
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/Gt40.jpg

1937 Talbot Lago T150 Coupe with body by Figoni et Falaschi

http://www.autoural.ru/newbaes/images/talblg1.JPG
http://www.ritzsite.net/Loo1999/Talbot_Lago_T150_SS_coupe_Figoni_et_Falasch i_1937.jpg

1963 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso

http://bgl666.bei.t-online.de/Fotos/Karren/Ferrari%20250%20GT%20Berlinetta% 20Lusso%20red.JPG
http://www.heritageclassics.com/ferrari/63sil250gtl/A.jpg
http://www.heritageclassics.com/ferrari/63sil250gtl/D.jpg

As for the '81 Camaro...

http://www.bobyoungprints.com/images/81%20Camaro%2020x24.jpg

While not one of my favorites, I do like this year. It's the last of the 2nd gen cars. Since it's now 23 years old, most places dont worry about emissions, so what the engine put out stock is of zero importance. The suspension is easily upgraded, and the cars can handle very well on the autocross or road race track, as well as being a common staple of the drag race circuits. They have HUGE mod potential for cheap, and I find them more attractive than the chrome bumper '74-77 versions (though not as nice as the '70 1/2-73 models). Whether someone at one time considered them the worst Camaro ever is almost unimportant considering the potential the cars have. Vwhobo, it would be the same a saying the VW Beetle is always a horrible car because the stock 40 hp versions were slow as dirt.

If it's someone's opinion that it's his favorite classic car, (and yes, the 2nd gen Camaro counts), then saying it's not your favorite is a decent response. Insulting the cars because they aren't your favorite is a cheap shot. You save the shots for when they say not only isn't their favorite, but in stock form it can beat anything... ;)

posted by  ChrisV

mine is the 57 chevy bel-air

posted by  archangle

You mean you have to choose your favorite muscle car from all those out there?? Wow that is ruff, I love them all. I love Big engine, gas guzzling types of cars that when you step on the pedal the earth shakes beneth you.

My list:

Dodge Charger 440 R/T
67 GTO
69 judge
68-71 Cuda

and the list goes on.....

posted by  Voda48

As you have made very clear in the past dealing with facts is critical. With this in mind, please direct me to where I ever insulted an '81 Camaro. The only thing I ever said about the car was;

and;

and;

So again I ask, oh great pontificator, where is the insult? For that matter where did I even say that I don't like '81 Camaros? Why are others expected to stick to facts but you can deviate at will? You are the one taking "cheap shots" by playing fast and loose with the truth. In the future please practice what you preach.

posted by  vwhobo

Just chill guys. Yes this is my first day but slamming idiots will only make them defensive and they won't learn anything because the mind closes when you feel embarrassed about your own shortcomings. Just a quick thought there since it's easy to tell who has the knowledge and who is somewhat lacking.

1971 Plymouth RoadRunner with the 426
1971 Plymouth GTX with the 440
1972 Cutlass 442 W-30 with the 455 Rocket
1954 Chevy Custom Deluxe 5-window with the 289? engine
240 z's are the only asian imports worth driving
60's VW Bugs even though I don't fit in them (6ft 8in)
1972 Chevy Cheyenne

I picked ones that are realistic to own and some that I do own. I just can't see dreaming about a $200,000 car that I can't ever have. All that does for me is give me a lifelong set of hypothetical blueballs. Just my humble opinion.

posted by  72Cutlass442

vwhobo, I see your shtick. When you can't answer in an intelligent manner, you start picking apart a post word by word, seeing if you can start anything. Trying it find contradictions and behavioral issues you can slam on so that you can completely discredit someone.

Nice try. The fact is that your response to him about the '81 Camaro was designed to denigrate his choice, by discrediting his choice of calling it a favorite classis car. Your attitude in that post was not about haivng a conversation about it, or even saying anything other than "it is generally considered to be the worst Camaro." Why the eff was that even necessary to say? It would make sense if he was asking, "hey, what does everyone think about an '81 camaro? I was thinking of buying one." It would have been a good response to somone saying, "'81 Camaros, rock! They are the best Camaros ever, and everyone knows it!" Your post was, in effect, a way to state, "that's a horrible car to have as a favorite, because everyone knows they suck!"

That's how it came across, but even then I was, in MY post, giving you a gentle ribbing about it (notice the winking smiley?), and adding some factual information about the car. So of course, that means you HAVE to be a dick in return, to live up to your reputation. :roll: Jesus, you're a worse curmudgeon than *I* am, and that takes a bit of work to do!

posted by  ChrisV

Man 72Cutlass442, I thought I was the only other person out there that was height impared when it came to driving cars. (6'6") Glad to see that there are others out there that won't fit in the backseat's of most vehicles. I thought it was just me :mrgreen:

~Peace

posted by  Voda48

Once again you're attempting to put words in my mouth. You can interpret my post any way you want, you can twist it and you can pretend to be the saviour of Car-Forums, but... The fact still remains that I never made an insulting remark about the car. I stated a fact and I stated my opinion and I clearly said which was which.

The only problem here is the fact that you were caught breaking your own rules and aren't man enough to simply admit it. Typing one of your 3,000 word essays will not shroud that fact that you have made an error in judgement. It's funny how when you pick apart what someone says it's critical thinking but when someone else does it to you it's "shtick". I have a word for your way of thinking and that word is bullsh*t. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

Why do you think I hate ricers as much as I do. I hate everything about them in the first place but the fact that I don't fit in them doesn't help with me liking them. Oh well. Not like I really wanted to drive them anyway right.

posted by  72Cutlass442

:roll: Believe what you want. It's what you're best at.

How did I break ANY of my "rules?" You talk about putting words in people's mouths...

BTW, I picked apart what you said because you had set the precedent.

:roll:

posted by  ChrisV

:pop:

posted by  SuperJew

Your Message