My 1974 Challenger has some problems...

Home  \  Classic Cars  \  My 1974 Challenger has some problems...

Hi guys,

My name is Adam, I'm 18, and a muscle caroholic.
hi Adam

I currently own a 1974 Dodge Challenger with a 360 4 Barrel. I love this car to death, but I haven't been able to drive it for a couple months. Right now I'm driving a Fiero... talk about a difference...

But anyway, the problem...

It all starts back in November. I was driving home and the car stalled at a stop light, no biggie, so I crank on er trying to get it to turn over... nothing. I eventually kill the battery and am towed to a nearby gas station. My dad comes to pick me up, jumps it, and it starts right up. I did notice that a wire from the battery had detached from the inner fender and was now resting right on top of the valve cover. My dad thinks I probably shorted something out. Later we worked on it and kept having problems until we found we could start the car without problems by connecting a wire from the positive battery post to the coil. The next day I am driving to work and it dies no less than 7 times on the way to work. Now she sits in the garage, because the car will not start at all without the wire connected and if at any time it is removed the car immediately dies. If I drive it she will eventually stall out, probably less than a block from my house.

So now I ask you, how can I get my muscle car running again?

Current theories are the ignition switch or some fusable link in the car that was blown. We checked the fuse box, and everything seems to be ok there.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I would like to get this car running beautifully so I can do some body work and finish a restoration on it.

Thanks.

posted by  Kirsch

Not sure I can help on all your problems since it sounds like multiple items but if you shorted something the Fusible link on the engineside firewall could be blown. The white line points to the blue fusible link. That link provides protection incase of a short. That wire that attached to the innerfenderwell is a ground and needs to be hooked up.Grounds are very important on these old cars.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/fc7gtx/Fusiblelink.jpg

Chris

posted by  fc7gtx

you blew it Adam,
FORGET it you don't deserve that car---just sell it to me--
I have a few thousand I'll give you---it's going to take you tons of time and money to get that car right again.
She's better off with me. let me know

http://ss.1hwy.com

My name is Adam, I'm 18, and a muscle caroholic.
hi Adam

I currently own a 1974 Dodge Challenger with a 360 4 Barrel. I love this car to death, but I haven't been able to drive it for a couple months. Right now I'm driving a Fiero... talk about a difference...

But anyway, the problem...

It all starts back in November. I was driving home and the car stalled at a stop light, no biggie, so I crank on er trying to get it to turn over... nothing. I eventually kill the battery and am towed to a nearby gas station. My dad comes to pick me up, jumps it, and it starts right up. I did notice that a wire from the battery had detached from the inner fender and was now resting right on top of the valve cover. My dad thinks I probably shorted something out. Later we worked on it and kept having problems until we found we could start the car without problems by connecting a wire from the positive battery post to the coil. The next day I am driving to work and it dies no less than 7 times on the way to work. Now she sits in the garage, because the car will not start at all without the wire connected and if at any time it is removed the car immediately dies. If I drive it she will eventually stall out, probably less than a block from my house.

So now I ask you, how can I get my muscle car running again?

Current theories are the ignition switch or some fusable link in the car that was blown. We checked the fuse box, and everything seems to be ok there.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I would like to get this car running beautifully so I can do some body work and finish a restoration on it.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

posted by  TXHP

Well after working on it all day today we seem to have isolated the problem, which is really two problems. First of all the electrical problem was a wire going to the balast resistor that was really loose because the clip was broken. After that she seemed to fire right up, except for problem number two which is that the engine isn't getting enough fuel. So first I replaced the fuel filter and sometime this week I will be replacing the fuel pump.

This person I bought the car from obviously had a problem with bottoming out because the headers are nearly flattened, so that will be the next thing to be replaces. After that she should be running beautifully.

Then I just have to focus on all the body work. Floor panels, new rear quarter panels, either a rallye hood or a T/A style hood scoop, a nice black paint job, and a few minor things.

posted by  Kirsch

Your Message