Importing Japanese cars

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Importing Japanese cars

I was wondering if anyone has done any importing of cars from japan?
And if so what work has to be done to the car to make it street legal here in the U.S., I read some of the other threads and got some ideas, does anyone know if there is a sight that will be spacific to what needs to be done?. :doh:

posted by  eriks88

you have to pay a lot of money to get a car imported, u.s. customs will take the whole car apart and put it back together - you wont get the same car you bought

posted by  gtr_man

Have you done this before or know someone that has?

posted by  eriks88

testing something

posted by  Import-tuner

It depends on the car i believe. for instance Skylines can only be imported by motorex. Because there was never a us version they had to be crash tested, and since motorex was the only one with the money to do it they are the only ones with the right to legaly import. S15's cant be imported i believe because they arent crash tested here either and there was no s15 ever introduced in the states. A jdm mr2 on the other hand may not be as difficult. Im not 100% sure what all is involved though. Search google. Most likely its stuff like changing the guages to usdm gauges, chainging signals and lights and adding reflectors, emissions contorls etc.

posted by  DTMBaller

Any car can be imported with the right kind of money. Realisticly theres a list of cars that DOT will approve to come into the United States if there are registered importers(RI's) that believe they can handle the car or have proven to the DOT that they can handle the procedures of bringing the car to US standards.

The only way you can import a car from another country is through a registered importer. Unless you plan on using the car for show purposes only, racing, or if the car is more that 25 years old. Then the car will be allowed in without strict regulation..

You'll have to find a Registered Importer in your area(there are less than 100 registered and most are on the west coast). Then you have to go to them to find a car that can be imported, a person selling that car in Japan, then your RI will help you handle the paperwork associated with DOT and other US regulatory agencies.

Basicly the RI will make your car meet any regulations that it allready does'nt. Most cars in Japan only need to be brought to emissions standards. Some of the bumpers need to be reinforced to 5 mph bumpers. Any car you're buying is more than likley going to have seatbelts, a winshield, headlights, reflectors etc... What you're basicly paying for are associated fees that the RI needs to do the work to bring your car to standard(wich can be steep), import fees, and a various list of taxes.

Generally stating you're looking at $150-300 per $1-2000 you're spending on your car. A honda CRX costing $1500 in Japan may only cost you arround $4500-5000 to import. Whereas a Skyline R34 GTR at $80,000 might cost you $120,000 to import. The cheaper the car the easier it usually is to import. However that is'nt always the case. Again it depends upin the R.I. so you really have to ask them what their prices are...

**SideNote**
I believe MotoRex is being sued by customers for Skyline related issues. There is another company that imports Skyline but I forget their name.

posted by  DSMer

The other company is RBmotoring and i believe they get their cars imported by motorex. They are just a distributer. And the skyline is 80k after its imported. they dont cost that much in japan.

posted by  DTMBaller

The MSRP for a R34 GTR V-Spec is $80,000(US). N yes RBMotoring is the company I was thinking of.

posted by  DSMer

I think I missread Motorex's website. There it lists the r34 for 80k but i guess that would be before the 25k importation fee. The reason i thought it was the msrp is because the r33 and r34's msrp is so close to how much the cars go for imported. but their import fees are less so maybe that explains it.

posted by  DTMBaller

THIS IS A COPY AND PASTE OFF OF THE WEBSITE.
JDM CAR PRICE LIST *see bottom*

R-34 GT-R....$50,000-$70K
R-32 GTs-t.......$10,000-$13,500
R-32 GT-R.......$20-$23,000
R-33 GTs-t.......$15,000-$20,000
R-33 GT-R.......$26,000-$35,000
S-15 Silvia.......$28K-$34K
CRX Glass.......CALL
Supra Turbo 1jz..$ CALL
Supra Turbo 2jz..$25,000-$30,000
RX-7 FC Turbo....$ CALL
RX-7 FD Turbo....$15-30K
S-15 Silvia.......$28K-$34K
Sil-eighty..........$14K neg.
S-13 coupe.......$15K neg.
180 sx................$9900
S-14...................$18K
Evo 1.................$ CALL
Evo 2.................$ CALL
Evo 3.................$ CALL
Evo 4.................$ CALL
Evo 5.................$ CALL
Evo 6.................$ CALL
Evo 7.................$21,000
PRICES INCLUDE EVERYTHING

posted by  Rockn-A-T88

Thats great and all but it does'nt answer ANYTHING about the original question at hand. Thanks you have really shown us just how much of an idiot you really are....That or you can't read. Either way, you're still an idiot..

posted by  DSMer

Holy crap man, sorry if I made you mad. I started seeing numbers flying around, so I posted it. People are so quick to bash people's feelings in these days.

posted by  Rockn-A-T88

Oh yeah, I'll give you my address anytime you want to say that to my face.
Dont take that to the heart. Thats what needs to be done these days.

posted by  Rockn-A-T88

You must feel pretty low to call someone an idiot that you never met

posted by  Rockn-A-T88

For real though.... lets not turn this into a bashing session, sorry if I pissed you off

posted by  Rockn-A-T88

Yeah seriously. Lighten up. "It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool then to open it and remove all doubt." well you my friend are a fool.

What website was that from?

posted by  DTMBaller

Why am I a fool????

www.TurboVisions.com

posted by  Rockn-A-T88

Im sry that was kinda confusing. You are not the fool. DSMer is for flipping out over something stupid. That list you posted was contributing to the thread. And now that we know where its from it contributes more. Thanks for the post.

posted by  DTMBaller

If you play close attention(thats if you can read, maybe you too are stupid as well) the original question of the thread was how was it done, whats was done, and could you give a link to a site that explains in detail what happens. He did'nt ask for a price on anything, he simply wanted to know what happens. He did'nt answer any of his original questions...

Can I get any more simple for obtuse minded people or should I start speaking in a language that you might understand? Tell me please, I'd be more than willing to learn stupid to accomodate to your needs, that or you can crawl into a hole and die. I vote for the latter of the two...

posted by  DSMer

Well if that is the case then your post about him being and idiot had nothign to do with the topic either. So STFU. FOOL. And you can use the website as another source of information on importing cars. So again. STFU. FOOL.
I mean seriously. THe guy trys to contribute and you rip his head off like you are some all knowing car god. Get a life looser.

posted by  DTMBaller

Exactly how childish are you to use terms like "STFU" and "looser"? Maybe you should check your sources before you go off splurting immature accusations. In fact the website does nothing to inform you about teh process of importation, it simply ask you for money and in return they will give you a car. I fail to see where that helps at all. So maybe an imbecile like you can't understand that but if you'd like to preserve any piece of dignity you have left maybe you should drop this subject because its obvious you don't know two shits from a handshake of what you're talking about.

posted by  DSMer

Ha. Im trying to keep it simple so you can understand. And the 5 year old kids i teach use the word imbicil. so dont talk to me about childish. His comment added alot more to the thread then your flaming of him for trying to contribute. and your continual rambling isnt adding to the thread either. And if you wouldnt be such a lazy half assed piece of shit you would look a little harder and see that there is a wealth of knowledge in the forum for that website. alot more then i can say for here. so why dont you look a little harder before you open your mouth and make yourself sound like an idiot. cause it is clear that is waht you are.

posted by  DTMBaller

:sleep: This is usless... I've forgotten more than you've ever learned. I have'nt time to argue with the likes of you. Maybe I should "STFU" :laughing: . Pathetic..

posted by  DSMer

Yeah you probably should. Go read little one. And come back when you can play nice. :thumbs:

posted by  DTMBaller

Wow, that is crazy.. DSMer why so mad at everyone.....we are supposed to be cool with each other...

Oh jeez sorry for the input on that company, but they can help.......

posted by  Rockn-A-T88

Your Message