Turbo in a 3000GT 2WD?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Turbo in a 3000GT 2WD?

I have a quesiton. I have a stock 3000GT 2WD non-turbo, and is there a way I could put a turbo or twin turbo in it? or do I have a have a VR4 Engine? and if i can what turbo is a good turbo, greddy? HKS? Thanks in advance.

posted by  colorblind_2004

You got a VR4 engine in a SL?

posted by  Wangmiester

isnt the vr4 3000gt 4wd?

posted by  mazda6man

yeah it is.

posted by  Import-tuner

you dont need a VR4 engine to make your 3000gt a turbo car. Just buy a turbo kit for a non-turbo 3000gt.

posted by  Import-tuner

ok then, yeah it wouldnt work

posted by  mazda6man

what wouldnt work? I think his question was "can i make my 2wd 3000gt a turbo engine without doing a complete engine swap to a vr4." Im not sure what you mean mazda6man

posted by  Import-tuner

Yep, its possible. I've actually seen it done and it took less than 10 hours with 3 people. If you're really familiar with turbos then this install should be a breeze. You're proabably going to want to install the factory Mitsubishi TD04 13g turbos. You can get them online at HorsepowerHQ (http://horsepowerhq.com/).

Read HERE (http://www.3sxperformance.com/faq/ttconversion/index.asp) for a detailed guide on the Twin Turbo conversion.

You can also buy the Greddy form of the TD04 HERE (http://www.2kracing.com/product_info.php/cPath/7_67_1177/products_id/514)

Nonsense, you're both wrong. The 300GT is AWD not 4WD, there is a BIG difference...

posted by  DSMer

so you can still put an aftermarket twin turbo on a 3000GT without a VR4 engine? Whats the difference between that engine and the one without turbo, just the regular 3000GT i mean..so what im saying is that i can just buy a greddy tt kit off the internet and install it and it would work?

Judging by your questions I don't think a twin turbo swap would be something you should do on your own. If you have the money, $2000+ i'd get out the yellowbook and find your nearest performance shop. Have them give you an estimate on installing a twin turbo setup on a 300GT 4G72 engine. There is'nt a kit for it because the car allready comes turbo in factory form. You'll just have to get all the parts off a VR-4. If you don't know all the parts that go with a turbo setup... well I'd rather not have to explain that at this moment..

As far as I know, the engines are identical aside from maybe the ECU, Fuel rails, injectors, and turbos(of course).

Again, you'll have to create a turbo setup for this one. No, nothing will just install. Nothing ever does... The TD04 13G's are watercooled and oil cooled turbos you're going to need to tap into some lines to get the proper lubrication. Again if you're not up to this then mabye you should hire some professional help. If you can't afford professional help then maybe you should consider a more feasible application to spend your money on.

posted by  DSMer

oh, my bad... i meant cant do vr4 motor in 2WD 3000gt... not even payin attention to the main topic... sorry

posted by  mazda6man

You can pretty much swap whatever you want between the vr-4 models and base models, just takes some work. I'm currently doing a twin turbo conversion to my 91 stealth base model. I bought a DOHC 6g72 engine and almost all the parts i need. I rebuilt the whole engine, the main difference between the SL and Vr-4 engine is the compression ratio, the SL is 10:1 and the Vr-4 is about 8.5:1. You should change pistons or run low boost if u are turbo-ing an SL engine. The only other main difference i can think of is the generation difference, 91-93 has one set of pre-cats, the 94+ models have a different set, beware of that. Other-wise go ahead and get all the turbo parts you need, its pretty expensive and tough to find some parts, but its do-able, i'll let you know how mine turns out in May 05' when i finish the rebuild.

posted by  I6SupraMan

You dont need a vr4 to turbo it youo can put a turbo on alot of stuff. You just have to know what engin it is you are looking at, and once you got that you should be good to go.

posted by  JDMprelude92

I'm pretty he does'nt need a VR4 to turbo his car. Afterall what does buying a car have to do with putting a turbo on another in the first place. But then again from your point of view all he has to do is know "what [engine] hes looking at" and that will automaticly tell him how to turbo his car. Yeah right, fecking idiots.. :banghead:

posted by  DSMer

Go to Florida3s.com (http://florida3s.com) look up shooter83's profile. He has a dodge stealth ES and just shoe horned a JDM GTO TT engine in. He encountered a few hook up problems since he was using a JDM in a US car (which you shouldnt have in a Us to US conversion). He had tranny issues and is getting traction issues, but he travelled about 500mi last week for a 3/S tampa gathering without trouble. Its actually alot faster because it doesnt have the AWD weight dis advantage. Its slower off the line since an AWD launch is always better, but he makes up for it when moving. You can also goto 3si.org (http://3si.org) for more info. There is also a AWD to RWD conversion. You can do basically anything but it is very pricey. I just swapped my VR4 engine (spun bearing and 2 bent rods) because it was cheaper than rebuilding and I laid out 8300. There were some other things like clutch, fly, downpipe, race cat, pumps, etc, but it was mostly the engine and labor! Mitsu wanted 12000! You can supercharge the NA up to 500hp (http://www.boosthead.com/product.php). there are also turbo conversions for the NA motor, but I'd suggest either the supercharger or the full swap, the NA doesnt like the turbo conversion too well since the compression is higher in the NA 10:1 vs 8.5:1 and the heads need to be reengineered. you can also Bore & stroke the motor. There are fewer all motors, so its easier to win dyno/race competitions. If you are looking to buy in the beginning just buy the VR4 (without engine trouble). If you already have the NA decide from above. Also, the dodge stealth RT/TT is about 2k less than the VR4, and has less gadgets to break, but has the same stats. prototype = 1990 HSX, gen1 = 1991-93, gen2 = 1994-1998, gen3 = 1999.
Dodge ended in 1996. HSX had targa roof, & white dash (one was reported found as a front clip for $2400 in cali), The gen 1 vr4 has all the gadgets, 2 bolt, 5spd 9psi 302hp | gen 2 = less gadgets, body change, 4bolt, 6spd 12psi 322hp | gen3 = body change, pretty much no gadgets, 4bold, 6spd, larger lash adjusters, 12psi 322hp. In stock form the 3000gt can be pushed up to 15psi safely. There is also about 6000 spyders (hard top convertibles) half NA, half TT, in the US.
http://server1.opc3.net/oxley/6g72tt/bluecar.jpg
My Baby ^

posted by  GTO TwinTurbo

Sounds nice and all but the question at hand was'nt if a 4G67 engine will fit, obviously he allready knows that. The question was will he need the engine to install a twinturbo setup on his existing engine. The awnswer is no. You my friend, have a case of "Mommy I need help reading" and I seriously suggest you get some professional help with that. There happens to be several problems with you extremly long post. Has'nt anyone ever told you how annoying it is to read one large ass paragraph? You have an enter button, use it.

Then again, why should he take advice from you? You pay people to do your engine work so how would you know? Typical ricer. They pay thousands of dollars for other people to do work and they show it off and take credit for it. Last time I checked having a wallet with money does'nt make you an expert on turbo setups and engine swaps.. :banghead:

posted by  DSMer

Well thanks for all the info guys. So all i have to do it is get some engine parts off of a vr 4, and just buy a turbo kit, and have someone install it, then i have a tt car? Thanks in advance.

Well if you buy a turbokit, everything that you need to install should be in that kit. However you might want to consider gettling lower compression pistons.

posted by  DSMer

Your Message