suspension questions?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  suspension questions?

what does it mean when people say they got like a 12 point piston caliper or something like that? how can you tell if its a 12 point piston caliper or not? what does it mean when people say like they did this butterfly thingy. is it like they did something with the camber kits? what does it mean like when people have suspension bushings or whatever they call it? is axles that one long piece?

posted by  silvia_star

I think I can speak for every clear thinking member of this forum when I say, HUH? Perhaps in this case WTF would be more appropriate. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

12 point piston calipers refer to breaks. Not suspension.

posted by  DTMBaller

Really, what did they "break"? I always thought calipers had to do with BRAKES. Yeah, that's the ticket. Think, type, submit.

posted by  vwhobo

I do think. I dont spell though. This isnt a ****ing english class. If i were typeing a letter to someone or something more important i would worry bout spelling and grammar and whatnot. but this is a forum and if i accidently misstype a word im not gonna slow down to go back and correct it. you know what i was talking about so quit being such a smart ass.

Why dont you post something usefull in this thread huh. :thumbs:

posted by  DTMBaller

Better yet genius, I'll give you the chance to post something useful for the first time ever... at least on this forum. Please give us all a detailed description of a "12 point piston caliper". We'll all be waiting. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

The pistons put preasure on the pads which puts preasure on the rotor. More pistons equals more power, even preasure, and better braking.....Write that down. :thumbs:

posted by  DTMBaller

12 point piston caliper. Detailed description. Last opportunity twinkie.

posted by  vwhobo

Must i explain everything to you. I can tell you are going to be useless to this thread so i guess ill fill in the blanks for you. 12 point piston caliper means there are 2 four piston calipers up front and 2 two piston calipers in the rear. 12 pistons all together.

The main advantage of having more pistons is not that the neciarly pinch harder which in most cases they do not. They actually apply less pressure then a single pistons floating caliper. less pressure over a specific area

But the provide The same overal pressure and energy over a much wider area which will lead to less heating.

For example. For those who have a turn table. Set it to 72RPMs. Try to stop it with your finger tip. Now try to stop it with your whole hand but the the same or less pressure. Larger surface area = more fircition over a larger area= less heat and better energy conversion

posted by  DTMBaller

um...vwhobo...where did you go. ill be taking that "yes brian you are right" now. "why did i even try to challange you." "i will shut up from now on unless i have something of use to say"

whats that...you dont want to reply. ok well i understand. next time just think before you post useless crap. :thumbs:

posted by  DTMBaller

I'm sorry ass boy. While you were spending your day deciding which hand to have sex with, deep throating kielbasa to "stay in practice" and developing this preposterous story about brakes, I spent 15 hours of my day doing something useful for my community by working with special needs children hopefully enriching their lives. So, I guess I can make time for one more mentally deficient individual and spend some time with you.

Your "explanation" is a total load of crap. I'll tell you what. Your description has so many holes in it that it's not hardly worth my time to try to plug them all so this is what we'll do. You link us to one CREDIBLE website that explains in detail what "12 point piston calipers" are, one that backs-up your your incredible fantasy... And I'll apologise. Not only that I'll admit you're right and back off your stupid ass for a while anyway.

There you have it twinkie. Get to work, and don't forget that if I have a time limit so do you. We'll all check back same bat time, same bat channel, tomorrow. Good luck loser.

posted by  vwhobo

are you kidding me. you know what. im done explaining things to you. you have said nothing of use in this thread thus far. so its your turn. lets hear it ass whipe. you have as long as you want. but after tonight im not going to waste my time with you. so make it good.

posted by  DTMBaller

In other words you don't have a clue, I called your bluff, you're busted. You make me laugh dipshit.

posted by  vwhobo

wait. so you dont know. oh ok. i get it. well since i have posted a reply and you have posted nothing of value in return, i am done wasting my time with you. now if you would like feel free to fill in my so called blanks. but i dont see them. so good luck. and unless you are going to post something usefull to this thread dont bother posting at all. because its wasting my time.

posted by  DTMBaller

Answer the question and back it up with a credible source. That should be easy for someone as smart as you.

posted by  vwhobo

so what your saying is you have no clue and you are not going to prove me wrong by filling in my so called blanks. ok then im done with this thread. thanks for playing. bye now.

posted by  DTMBaller

Okay genius, have it your way. Let me show you all the websites that talk about the brakes that don't exist.

And now here's a list of all the paper technical references that have been written about your non-existent brakes.

Finally, here are pictures of your precious "12 point piston calipers" that don't exist.

You are truly a waste of oxygen. I don't know where you're from but I hope I never have to go there... I'd be afraid of drinking the water and having my brain destroyed as has happened to you.

posted by  vwhobo

instead of being a complete dumbass and posting asshole remarks i thought i would take the initiative and contribute a little. this means actualy doing a little research to figure out what the hell he was talking about instead of just saying wtf are you talking about and not posting anything of great worth to the thread. 12 points refers to the total number of pistons. while this isnt in one caliper like his exact wording sugested, anyone with half a brain could figure this out.

posted by  DTMBaller

lol! Hobo's right, dude.

NO ONE says "12 point piston caliper" when discussing brakes. There is no description that means what you said. You made it up on the spot (or worse, it's some new ricer term, stated by 12 year old dumbasses that know noting about cars, and yet has stuck on other ricer forums). Calipers are indeed described by the number of pistons. For example, my RX7 had 4 piston calipers on the front and single piston calipers in the rear. But no one would ever describe the braking system using the total number of pistons in it.

I've looked through dozens of brake manufacturer sites and read much in the way of literature on braking systems, including building them for race cars, and never heard your description in 25+ years of working with them.

Oh, BTW, you're right, it IS a forum. A forum is a written media, to discuss things. In order for you to be understood, you DO have to use grammer and as good a spelling as you can (typos are one thing, like "teh" instead of "the", complete misspellings are often another thing altogether) in order to get your point across intelligently.

Instead of arguing about grammar and your right to use poor grammar, why don't you just try to be intelligent? Is it too much to ask?

posted by  ChrisV

In a word... YES!

posted by  vwhobo

ok i will go with the 12 point piston calipers. when searching for websites to back it up i didnt read as in depth as i should have. after checking over it i miss read what it said. so i will admit my wrong and appologize for it.

posted by  DTMBaller

Don't you just hate it when you jump in too soon with a post? :wink2:

http://www.baer.com/Media/ContentDetails.aspx?ContentID=167

posted by  Wally

who's the bitch now. well i suppose i was still wrong. but at least i admited to it. so now that wally has showed us how to contribute...try it some time :thumbs:

posted by  DTMBaller

You truly are a dumbass. I never said there was no such thing as 12 pot calipers, remember? The phrase that you fought for was "12 point piston caliper" and then came up with some bullshit about a combination of front and rear brakes. You should have quit while you had your dignity and maybe even a tiny bit of respect.

Who's the bitch now? Why that'd be YOU. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Lol!

Except he said 12 point piston calipers, and then said that it refers to "breaks." without saying how. THEN he said that the description of that phrase was, "12 point piston caliper means there are 2 four piston calipers up front and 2 two piston calipers in the rear. 12 pistons all together."

Which, unfortunately for him, doesn't match the description of a single 12 piston caliper.

Meaning, he was still wrong, and there is still no such thing as a 12 point piston caliper "break" system. Hobo and I knew about the 12 piston calipers. I've been involved with both race cars and Pro Touring cars long enough to consider a set on my own project car.

But in all my years of building performance cars, I've never heard HIS description of a "12 point piston caliper system." And there woudn't have been a problem if he hadn't argued with Hobo about it.

posted by  ChrisV

Ah yes, the good old days.

posted by  vwhobo

Who the hell needs brakes? All you need is nos. :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Your Message