Nissan 240sx 89 Swap >> Grand National 87 ????

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Nissan 240sx 89 Swap >> Grand National 87 ????

:screwy: Well here is the deal i m kind looking for some answers hope to find in here. Wht if i decided to put Grand national 87 Engine in to 89 240sx would that fit. :ticking: Hoping to get some answers :)) thank you all :mrgreen: :ohcrap:

posted by  Surfman

I dont know the dimensions of the engine but anything is possible w/money...you throw enough at it...eventually it will work

I've seen 5.0 Liter Mustang GT engines and LS1's in 240sx's so...a GN engine shouldnt be that hard considering it's a V6 right?

posted by  NISSANSPDR

Yes its gonna be V6 Supercharged

posted by  Surfman

Actually, the GN turbo V6 is a good swap in that car. the 3.8 is pretty short, so it actually is better balanced than the stock 4 cyl, and even with the turbo ends up being much like the stocker, weight-wise.

I know a couple guys who have put those engines into 2nd gen RX7s to good effect, as well. Here's one of them. You might want to email him:

http://v8rx7.com/mark.htm

posted by  ChrisV

well i saw his website its cool man lol my bad Its V6 Turbo :)) if this thing worked on his car it will work on mine also i m hoping :thumbs: :hi: i m still open for sugestions :)) plz replay if u know anything :laughing:

posted by  Surfman

thanks lot ChrisV

posted by  Surfman

Why not just save yourself a few thousand dollars and get a SR20DET?

posted by  thunderbird1100

I think the reason to get a GN V6 Turbo is simple...cheap USDM parts. I mean the engine was made here and there are parts a plenty around for it in terms of replacement and aftermarket. He doesnt have to pay international shipping even though there is an ever growing mass of US SR20DET tuner shops and parts. But still...it's cheaper to mod a USDM engine than a JDM engine...

posted by  NISSANSPDR

Heck a SR20DET is under $2500, shipped AND installed around these parts. I can see the 3.8T motor being a good $2k+ just to install because of it not being a direct swap and not ever really being done before in a S13 (that I've known). SR20DET parts are just as easy to find as KA parts. Heck they had the SR20DE motor in the US for many, many years. Plus with a SR20DET all you need as far as big parts is a big IC, new rods/pistons and one big turbo (Boost Away). I'm not "against" the GM 3.8T swap in it, it just seems like too much trouble/time/money.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Aren't the Grand National engines pretty hard to find? If you know of one lying around, I think it would be cool to do. The Turbo v6 was popular and as far as I know, still is. I think it would be super hard to find one.

posted by  Nickboxer7

Hmm, I never knew there was an article to go along with your V8 Mazda. I always thought it was 350 in that Mazda. Never thought of a 5.0 Ford engine. How much more complex would the wiring have been had you used a newer 5.0 Engine with EFI or say a 350 LS1?

I understand where you are coming from, but you have to take into consideration that this is a one off idea that this person probably came up with and wants to be different from everyone else with an SR20 motor. It may cost a significant ammount more than an SR20 swap, but thats probably not the point at hand.

posted by  DSMer

I believe that is a good swap, and it can happen just as Nissaspdr said, with money, anything can happen. I believed (i'm not too sure) AutoBacs has a (i don't remember what year) 240Z (not sx) that they threw in a Chevy Silverado V-8 supercharged. But if you are low on cash, and want something simple, i believe a Nissan CA18det will drop right into those 89-90 240sx with no modification. I mean it's only an inline 4, turbo charged with only 175HP, and it's even easier to install than a sr20det because you don't have to mess with the power steering pump and all that stuff. I believe you can a a CA18det for a grand or less and spend the rest on building it. It's just a thought, so if you've already know this (That goes for everyone reading this) don't jump on me :doh: , I've just register today after reading the argument DSMer and couple of guys were having over which is better Sr20det or KA24DET a while back. I totally agree with you DSMer, Ka24det are better at drag. Cause i have one and it kick ass. (i still love SR20det, Just hate people who look down on Ka24det.) :laughing: ..but back on topic, it's a cool swap and i think you should do it if you have the money. i'm planning on doing something crazy myself, like throwing a 13b twin turbo from a RX-7 FD into a Miata. Good luck.

posted by  TiCKD

Tickd...

Nice...I have always favored the KA24DET as well over the SR

I've seen the 13b in a Miata b4...he had like a dragon on the side...down south though...Ft. Lauderdale area...

posted by  NISSANSPDR

It's just as easy to wire it up. I just happened to have that 302 available for cheap, so I used it. There are a lot of guys doing the 350 swap, though the LT1 and LS1 are more common (and more expensive). The 350 is much heavier than teh Ford 302 or the LT1/LS1.

Actually, back in '93 when I did the swap, there were maybe 3 other V8 2nd gen RX7s in the US. Now, there are kits for both Ford and Chevy engines, and a whole forum community dedicated to the swaps in every generation RX7.

posted by  ChrisV

Haha you trend setter you :hi: . A budy of mine and I were thinking of buying this Datsun 240Z that was arround the town for fairly cheap. Knowing that we have some swap choices of an RB25/26, 302, 350 and LTL/LS1, we would probably fair better from the LS1 swap.

Skyline motors are increasingly expensive to modify, and because of his ties he can possibly get an LS1 with the 6-Speed tranny for a little under $3500. However, I've just wanted to know how different the wiring would be on an LS1 as opposed to an older 350.

posted by  DSMer

Your Message