Toyota MR2 V Honda CRX

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Toyota MR2 V Honda CRX

Hey all im new to this so take it easy. Um im 16 and looking at a new car and so far these are my top 2 The Toyota MR2 94-97 or Honda CRX 87-91
Just wondering on you opinion im leaning toward the MR2 but your advise would be helpful. Ill be looking at modding it up a bit of course.
Any other nice 2 door 2 seater cars you know of id love to hear.

posted by  speed_freak

91 CRX SI if you wanna make it a fast car.

posted by  CarEXPERT

Personally i like both cars but i think i like the Mr2 alittle better. What are you wanting, looks or power, or a little bit of both? Both can be done up nicely and get good speed. What kinds of mods are you thinking of putting on (either car)? What is your price range that your willing to spend on either of these cars? You kinda gotta go for more of what YOU want then others but other opinions do help. Good luck with your choice and hopefully there will be more experienced people to reply here lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

mr2, the name says it all.
im sorry i just dont see how a front drive front engine car of about the same size could keep up especially in the corners. there is nothing more fun to drive than mid engine RWD imo.

and a 94-97 mr2 is more advanced than a 87-91 crx. cant really compare the two.

posted by  chloroform

His name says he wants a fast car.. so the SI would be the best for modding for speed.

posted by  CarEXPERT

not necessarily (spelling?) but yeah the CRX is fine but i like driving rear wheel drives

posted by  ahoo

Well in either case, if he wants peed then i would still suggest the MR2 over the CRX. The CRX is not a bad car but as has been said mid-engine, rear wheel drive would be the over powering factor and plus that fact that the MR2 will be anywhere from 3-8 years or so newer then the CRX.

posted by  car_crazy89

um i gotta a 15k limit (Australian) and u can pick up either car for say 8-9
I was thinking about a turbo as i know someone in the buisness to do it cheap but not sure wether a supercharger or turbocharger would be better.?

posted by  speed_freak

I would say turbo the CRX SI. Superchargers(roots, twin screw) are good for drivability cuz it gives you boost from lower RPMS.

posted by  CarEXPERT

mr2 all the way... plus, if you find the right one... they come stock turbo... i actually have a friend that might be selling his turbo mr2... and why would you say crx can be faster? with a motor swap? anything can be faster wioth a motor swap... plus the mr2 looks sooo much better than a crx

posted by  mazda6man

Ya definitely the MR2, Id say Fiero but I don’t think that’s quite up your ally, but a RWD mid mounted engine will bet out a FWD car any time, especially in those curves.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Kool thanks for the replies im thinking of going with the MR2 one other things what would you suggest i do to it. Ive got about 7k to work with and would love top know what would be the best performance mods for it. One other question my mate said you can put a turbo on a sipercharged engine is this true?
Thanks

posted by  speed_freak

The CRX Si is definatley the more fun car of the two as it's a bit lighter and handles better (the CRX is KNOWN for its legendary handling for a FWD'er). Just take a look into SCCA, a TON of CRX's but not really that many MR2's. If you get the CRX for $1500 in great condition, imagine the mods you could do to that (190hp-200hp High compression B16a, thats 190hp and under 1900lbs if you get the right model, remind you of a power/weight ratio of any car? Perhaps the Lotus Elise :smoke: ) and would cost just as much as a like new condition "boring" MR2.

All up to you :mrgreen:

posted by  thunderbird1100

speed_freak,
If you’re really looking for speed and customableblity (is that a word?, I always suggest a Fiero.
Forget all the bad things you’ve heard, once you have a V-8 installed she wont catch fire. There are more modes for this car then any other. You can build a Ferrari on the Fiero frame, or any other number of kits. The Fiero is a RWD mid engine (like the MR2, I don’t know if you can install a V-8 in the MR2), the weight distribution is about 45/55, and there isn’t a lot of under steer as you will no doubt be Ill-informed.

But if your determined to go with one or the other, stick with the MR2.
I know you can install a turbo on the MR2. As far as body mods go, I’m just not sure, but Id be willing to bet there’s a fair amount of them out there.

posted by  TheFieroKid

u can pretty much drop in any engine in any car..... given u have enough money of course.

i say, buy the mr-2. reliability is much better.

also, im quite sure u can get more power out of the 3s-gte without having to pass through the trouble of swapping out engines and such, not to mention waiting for engines to be delivered, etc etc etc.

i believe the v8 fiero has the same power as the stock mr2, if not somewhere around the same.

posted by  Inygknok

also... toyota vs honda, im takin toyota almost any time

posted by  mazda6man

Actually not really.
1985 = Engine, 1.6L 4 Cylinder 112 hp Gas
1986 = Engine, 1.6L 4 Cylinder 112 hp Gas Twin-Cam
1987 = Engine, 1.6L 4 Cylinder 112 hp Gas
1988 = Engine, 1.6L 4 Cylinder 145 hp Supercharged Gas
1989 = Engine, 1.6L 4 Cylinder 145 hp Suprchrged
1991 = Engine, 2.0L 4 Cylinder 200 hp Turbo Gas
1992 = Engine, 2.2L 4 Cylinder 200 hp Turbo Gas
1993 = Engine, 2.0L 4 Cylinder 200 hp Turbo Gas
1994 = Engine, 2.0L 4 Cylinder 200 hp Turbo Gas
1995 = Engine, 2.0L 4 Cylinder 200 hp Turbo Gas
2000 = Engine, 1.8L 4 Cylinder 138 hp Gas
Source = http://www.intellichoice.com/search/Used/Toyota/MR2

I dropped a 350 TPI from a 88 GTA (225hp, 330 ft/lb). If you were to drop in a Caddy Northstar (320hp, 310 ft/lb) then youll have much more power then any stock MR2.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Accord six speed coupe HFP vs. Solara SE-Sport V6/SLE V6

Which one???? :mrgreen:

I love CRX's, but the MR2 should be better in nearly all aspects.

posted by  ThirdeYe

i said almost any time... somethin like that, im takin the accord

i hate the solara

posted by  mazda6man

are any of those the stock engines for the fiero? sorry, fieros are quite rare cars, even rarer than my own so i really dont know much about them :(

posted by  Inygknok

No the stock engine for a Fiero is a L4 with 98hp, the optional v6 produced something like 130hp. With a simple kit (costs 5k + engine) one can install any kind of V8.

Actually the Fiero is A high collectors item... lucky for collectors the rest of the world over looks our little gems. Fieros can go range in price from 100 – 10k. I spent 4500 on mine. I’ve seen kit Fieros go for upwards of 40k.

posted by  TheFieroKid

good convo, wrong thread... im noticing an awful lot of thread crapping..., thought id throw that out to all you guys...

posted by  mazda6man

Yes back on track, I suggest the MR2, I’ve driven them and personally I like the styling more then the CRX, but since you asked, I also suggest a modified (if your not ready for all the work don’t buy a stock) Fiero.

posted by  TheFieroKid

At least I know you're not crazy :mrgreen:

Your Message