FWD to a AWD

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  FWD to a AWD

I was wondering if any one had info on converting a 1992 eclipse 1.8L N/T FWD to a 2.0 turbo AWD I know have to get the tranny. Or could i put a 2.oL turbo engine in the car and keep it FWD? Iknow ther is the the Car models GS GS-T AND GSX. The GS has the 1.8 FWD. The GS-T has the 2.0 n/t but i think thats some models came with turbos (correct me if iam wrong)! And finally the GSX came with the 2.0 and AWD. Thats for the info Just want to know car a little better!! :thumbs:

posted by  1992Eclipse

It's not worth your time or money. When you get done, you'll have spent more money than if you had just sold your car and purchased a factory turbocharged car. Plus you most likely won't do as good of a job as the factory either.

The GS was available with a 2.0L and a 1.8L. The GST is turbocharged (GS-Turbo), all GST's are turbocharged 2WD. The GSX is AWD turbocharged.

Sell your car and get a factory turbocharged one. They're really quite cheap in the year that you've got.

posted by  Bino

OH, and just for kicks. Your car is not an Asian import. All Eclipse/Talon/Laser's were produced in Normal Illinois (American made). Any of these cars that you see over-seas were exported there.

posted by  Bino

so it wouldnt be wise to just put as 2.0 turbo engine in my car the motor only cost 1,200 with out shipping.

posted by  1992Eclipse

It doesn't matter so much what the motor costs (depending on how far you're shipping it you could be looking at another $500 bucks for shipping).

But it's not a bolt-in affair. It requires a lot of cutting, welding, rewiring, etc to get the motor in there. Now, if you've got lots of time, a good resource of tools, and some good automotive know-how, it might be a fun little project. But regardless, it'll still be cheaper to sell your car and get a factory turbo car. My buddy got his turbo/AWD/5spd Talon for $2300. I recently just missed a running 1990 turbo/AWD/5spd Eclipse for $900. if you're all gung-ho about doing some engine stuff, find a car that's broke the timing belt (lots of people forget to change the timing belt), you can probably get it for less than $1000, then you just need to get the head rebuilt and you're good to go.

posted by  Bino

Yes its possible to convert a FWD Eclipse to an AWD platform. You can find all the relevant information on such a job here (http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml) . Although the swap was performed on a 2G Eclipse,the underbody on the two are very similar.

It is also possible to convert a 1G 1.8L Eclipse to a 2.0L turbo engine. You'll have to buy a 4G63T engine from an engine seller. Generally most JDM shops will stock them. The install will require some minor fabrication, wiring, and fitment. As far as I know the transmission will bolt up to the engine.

The GS-T is always turbo charged. Thats what the "T" is there for. The GS-T's are however, all FWD. Yes the GSX version is turbo charged and all wheel drive.

I'll also have to add that doing such a swap to such a cheap car would be very impractical for most people and that buying a GSX with no engine or a running GSX will be a lot cheaper than the swaps listed above. Again, there are corners you could cut to bring the cost down lower than an entirely new DSM and depending on your skill level the job could theoretically be done for under $2500. Realisticly, if you want the performance of an AWD turbo charged Eclipse, you'll have to either buy a GSX or GS-T

posted by  DSMer

so i should just buy the 2.0 non turbo to put in my car and just put performanse parts on it? the 2.0 n/t cost about 550. I think thats what i'll go with. I just hope that wit hthat engine i can beat some peaple in the street. I have a friend at work that says his bone stock 1993 V6 ford ranger can beat my DSM with the 1.8 or the 2.0 n/t (and the 2.0 turbo i'll think). I asked him way he thinks that and he said because Mitsubishi Suck Ass. oo ny the way his ford is and automatic and the trans slips gears some times but he still bost the he'll win!!!

posted by  1992Eclipse

Yeah right... street racing. I shouldn't even have to shun you. You're not going to beat anything other than stock civics with a 2.0 n/t. Again you're probably not thinking of how difficult a swap is, but the engine won't just "drop" into the car. There are several hours of fitting, modification, and wiring to make the engine swap work properly. Not to mention all the parts you'll have to buy to coordinate with the new engine.

It would be far more beneficial to your wallet if you were to save money and buy a GS-T or GSX and start from there. Again, anything can be done with time and money. I'm just giving your a realistic option for owning a vehicle worthy of some "CERTIFIED DRAG STRIP" performance.

posted by  DSMer

u should jus go for a 92 gsx or talon tsi awd... the awd makes a difference... and even if u put a turbo into a non turbo... u still only runnin on front wheels... u dont have th stability of the 4 wheel drive... alot nicer feeling and faster of course

posted by  4g63

Actually not all the eclipses were made in america.. there was a specail line of eclipses .. they were a gsx eclipse with gull wing style doors .. i forget how many were made but i know jackie chan had one.. these few eclipses were actually made in japan!

posted by  seanbum

Actually not all the eclipses were made in america.. there was a specail line of eclipses .. they were a gsx eclipse with gull wing style doors .. i forget how many were made but i know jackie chan had one.. these few eclipses were actually made in japan!

posted by  seanbum

Interesting

posted by  Bino

yes very .. You have not heard of them i guess?? :laughing:

posted by  seanbum

I am more entitled to believe that those gullwing GSX's were a similar setup to the GMC Syclone/Typhoon which were delivered to PAC as stock S15/Jimmy and converted by PAC into the Syclone/Typhoon. I have a hard time believing a company would setup a limited assembly run for a car that they can just import and modify.

posted by  Bino

Yes, I know of the Gullwing 1G's, but I'm pretty sure they were produced in the US and then modified before they were originally titled. I just can't believe they were manufactured/assembled in Japan.

posted by  Bino

negative .. i will find the site that i last viewed them at and post it ..

posted by  seanbum

http://www.supercars.net/garages/PenneyWise/15v2.html ...
assembly was in japan .. although chassis ect prolly made in america though...

posted by  seanbum

You could replace the engine with a 2.0L turbo engine...but I would just sell the car and buy a turbo one. As for converting the car to AWD...that would be the biggest pain in the ass...you cant even imagine. I have a friend who converted a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T to RWD and that was hard enough, it took him 1 1/2 years just to find the correct parts to do it, and then another year just to do it. Imagine what it would be like to do a AWD conversion. I would just leave it dude.

posted by  FordFromHell351

RWD eclipses are sick ... lol Its ashame cuz i belong to newengdsm.org and someone on there just sold a rwd talon chevy 12 bolt all the goods... . and i think it came with a mighty max tranny ... but yeah when the engine was in it ran 9's.. it was sick.... :laughing:

http://www.mightymouseracer.com/
theres a few good pics of it in there...

posted by  seanbum

Your Message